2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

Yep.   Cohos are called silvers due to body color.  Technically they have black mouths with white gums but they usually look more light gray gums with black mouth to me.  Kings have very dark gums.  Trout will have white gums and mouth although it's easy to tell steelhead and lakers from salmon.   18lbs would be a pretty large coho.  Nice king but not huge.  Still a great fight though, especially now. 
Thanks for the info...yea the fight was awesome

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Ya that's a king for sure! Coho's put up a better fight in my opinion. Both taste good when they're chrome like that. 

Definitely a king... Looks, like you are catching on, Stoney !

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Damn I'm still learning it....so you think this one is kingd977df232f46f1e4b44cdbb70236e335.jpg

Nice king.  We are hoping to get out of Olcott or Wilson on this Saturday afternoon (as long as the big waves and thunder holds off).  If it is too windy out on the lake (or hopefully if our arms get sore from reeling in all the big kings), I hope to bring back a bucket full of bluegills and a largemouth or two from in the harbor in order to re-stock our pond that I re-excavated last fall after it dried up in the drought.  Is the lake level back down a bit now ?  .     

• Like 1

Nice king.  We are hoping to get out of Olcott or Wilson on this Saturday afternoon (as long as the big waves and thunder holds off).  If it is too windy out on the lake (or hopefully if our arms get sore from reeling in all the big kings), I hope to bring back a bucket full of bluegills and a largemouth or two from in the harbor in order to re-stock our pond that I re-excavated last fall after it dried up in the drought.  Is the lake level back down a bit now ?  .     
It's still high....how high I'm not sure as I'm not experienced up there but it is clearly high still. Good luck hope the weather holds out

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Based on our dock, it's still close to 3 feet high.   Dropping but very slowly. 

hey guys maybe you can help me i fish catskill creek and ten mile creek in durham i seen some trout but they wouldnt take a fly follw it but not take it so i would like to know what flies to use and what time of the day to fish early in the morning mid day or late in the evening. oh and nice salmon im jealous i had a trip to on sat 8/5 rochester lake ontario for salmon and trout but the cpt. said tjhe weather was a blow out 4-7' seas. thank you if you have suggestions 

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Based on our dock, it's still close to 3 feet high.   Dropping but very slowly. 

That's interesting.  I hope Olcott and Wilson will be open for launching.  My brother said that the St Lawrence was down about 1.5 feet last weekend, from it's peak earlier this year, at his place up on the St Lawrence.  They are just down-river of Alex bay.   

hey guys maybe you can help me i fish catskill creek and ten mile creek in durham i seen some trout but they wouldnt take a fly follw it but not take it so i would like to know what flies to use and what time of the day to fish early in the morning mid day or late in the evening. oh and nice salmon im jealous i had a trip to on sat 8/5 rochester lake ontario for salmon and trout but the cpt. said tjhe weather was a blow out 4-7' seas. thank you if you have suggestions 

http://www.ausablerivertwoflyshop.com/hatches
This may help a little. I heard hatches have been early evening lately around WNY. We've been out mornings , early afternoon and have barely seen any hatches.
Are fish you're after fished a lot ? Maybe need to sneak up on em a bit. I'm terrible at fly fishing so take my advice lightly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

garden hackle

Tricos are your best bet right now. Also beetles and ants.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/fly-fishing/when-fish/2004/07/john-merwin-how-fish-summer-trico-hatch-trout

We fished from 2-4 this afternoon.  One of those days where it seemed everything went wrong.  Swivel on downrigger pulley snapped, another rigger stopped working (still can't figure out why) and wire dipsy line broke costing us a spin doctor and fly.  But, the kids both landed one and it was Natalie's first all on her own.  Thank goodness because she lost one too and she was upset. But she felt a bit better when we netted this one.  Not enough time to run deep so we pretty much focused on lakers.  Now to figure out why the rigger won't run and find the right replacement swivel.   

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Lakers that size  ^ are pretty tastey, cut into steaks and grilled over tinfoil and fresh off the cob sweetcorn.   Much better than chicken and almost as good as ruffed grouse.

Not much of a fish eater.  They live to fight another day.   Both were pretty spunky when released.