2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

What do use for toppings on your fish tacos? They look tastey.
I use a siracha mayo, a bit of sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro, onion, salsa, sometimes I'll put cheese on them also. If you've never tried them I highly recommend it, plus big perch fillets are perfect taco sized portions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I use a siracha mayo, a bit of sour cream, fresh chopped cilantro, onion, salsa, sometimes I'll put cheese on them also. If you've never tried them I highly recommend it, plus big perch fillets are perfect taco sized portions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sounds good ill have to try that. On Friday we did perch and bullhead fish tacos. With sliced cabbage homemade pico de gallo which is tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos and fresh squeezed lime juice. We top it with a sweet chili powder sour cream sauce. Delicious!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Sounds good ill have to try that. On Friday we did perch and bullhead fish tacos. With sliced cabbage homemade pico de gallo which is tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos and fresh squeezed lime juice. We top it with a sweet chili powder sour cream sauce. Delicious!

love fish tacos.  I use pico de gallo as well.  I like a coleslaw sauce and lime vinagrette mix with it.  It was an experiment and it stuck! And def perch and walleye fillets are great for this .  

Fish tacos are awesome!  I like to use bluegill fillets because they're so thin.  Cabbage, sour cream, fresh lime juice, and regular or pineapple salsa.  I've also added avacado or bits of bacon.  Planning on fishing bluegills and northern on Wednesday or Thursday on Champlain, depending on the wind forecast.  

Nice pic.  Made me hungry just to look at it.

• Like 1

spent the day on the ice as well. took out our truss builder and a couple of his workers, we all did good on the perch, I spent all day walking and drilling  holes but got 50 good fish and confirmed some of my honeyholes are still holding fish but too many people out to spend much time there to work them over. 

probably walked 4 miles and drilled at least 40 holes., gave my new auger a workout and am quite pleased with how easy it went through a foot of ice.

the only drawback of the day was getting  a pretty good sunburn and windburn.

• Like 2

Had to fish again today, we were filling buckets when the perch bite died quick. I had Judy's tonnage rod deployed when it took a good bite.
I knew it was no perch peeling line off the reel faster than a prom dress comes off. 15 minutes later we finally got a look at the fish as it swam past the hole. The 4th attempt to get its head into the hole was a success and Doug was able to slip the gaff into its gill and hoisted it out onto the ice. I was gonna let it go but he wanted it so we kept it.
I moved 20 yards drilled 2 more holes and we finished off our perch limits. aa849c876426e4228e614dd2216c716e.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 11

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

Had to fish again today, we were filling buckets when the perch bite died quick. I had Judy's tonnage rod deployed when it took a good bite.
I knew it was no perch peeling line off the reel faster than a prom dress comes off. 15 minutes later we finally got a look at the fish as it swam past the hole. The 4th attempt to get its head into the hole was a success and Doug was able to slip the gaff into its gill and hoisted it out onto the ice. I was gonna let it go but he wanted it so we kept it.
I moved 20 yards drilled 2 more holes and we finished off our perch limits. aa849c876426e4228e614dd2216c716e.jpg

Nice pike. Where you fishing? And what's the limit? I know certain lakes here in the Adirondacks were allowed 50 perch a day. But lake champlain there is no limit.

Went out on sodus bay this afternoon. Caught a bunch of dink perch and a handful of keepers. I thought I saw a guy with an Amish looking outfit out fishing but didn't really pay attention until I left a little before 5 and saw a horse and buggy tied to a tree! Would have never guessed that's what I would see today.

3 hours ago, reeltime said:

Woot!

What a beauty......../...

I miss my digital camera.  It came up missing when we cleaned up the house before Christmas. 

Fished my favorite bay on Champlain today.  Got a half bucket of really nice bluegills, a dozen decent perch, a bunch of largemouth, and a 36" pike that weighed 12 lbs!  I put the big girl back, but kept a 6 lb northern that got hooked in the gills.  I'm tempted to head back in the morning!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I miss my digital camera.  It came up missing when we cleaned up the house before Christmas. 

Fished my favorite bay on Champlain today.  Got a half bucket of really nice bluegills, a dozen decent perch, a bunch of largemouth, and a 36" pike that weighed 12 lbs!  I put the big girl back, but kept a 6 lb northern that got hooked in the gills.  I'm tempted to head back in the morning!

Where you fishing lake champlain I hear from the diehards we need the main channel to open fish are deep far and in between pickings hard this year. I'm up north Plattsburgh area

Just got home from Oneida. Yesterday I finally figured out the eyes on this lake after a couple tough outings. Limits of eyes for myself and gf. (Yes she caught he own limit and got more than I did) then moved about ten times to look for perch. Finally landed on them at about two o'clock and picked away at them til dark. Went to the same spot this am and the perch were still there. All they wanted was spikes on small jigs wouldn't tough raps, spoons, minnows , heads, etc. Fun weekend! 

• Like 6

Big Val, we were in the same boat yesterday on Eaton Brook. We Got on the ice just about sunrise, and couldn't hardly mark a fish in our normal spots. We were on foot, so I had to figure if it was worth a big move. From fishing open water in the past, I knew of a 5 foot shelf that doesn't show up on the maps, that rises up on a flat in between two steep drop offs. The only problem is that it is a lot deeper water than we usually find the perch at.

We packed up and dragged our shanties out to it and immediately started marking fish. The only problem was they would follow but not bite no matter what we tried. I had a small batch of 4mm tungsten jigs that I just got that were smaller than anything we were trying. That was the ticket. We never caught a fish until 9:30. After that, we were in the perch heavy til we left at 3:00. And these were quality fish in the 11-13 inch range. I honestly believe we may not have caught a fish if it hadn't been for those little jigs. 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2018 at 8:59 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Where you fishing lake champlain I hear from the diehards we need the main channel to open fish are deep far and in between pickings hard this year. I'm up north Plattsburgh area

I fish in the Champlain Islands.  The bays there are like ponds, but they are attached to big water.  I'm not a big perch fisherman, but I get after the flat fish pretty hard.  I was in 7' of water.  I went back the following day and got them again.  I got a 7,8, & 10 lb northern and 3/4 of a bucket of bluegills.  Should have fished today... the weather forecast looks lousy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I fish in the Champlain Islands.  The bays there are like ponds, but they are attached to big water.  I'm not a big perch fisherman, but I get after the flat fish pretty hard.  I was in 7' of water.  I went back the following day and got them again.  I got a 7,8, & 10 lb northern and 3/4 of a bucket of bluegills.  Should have fished today... the weather forecast looks lousy.

You fish isle la motte  and piedlots bay on the Vermont side. I fish Kelly's bay just across the bridge in is it alburgh. Ill be fishing heavy this week just hope the ice holds. How much ice were you fishing on. I know when we get a south wind it breaks up pretty good. Hoping for a warm up just too open the main channel and the fish ill start coming into the bays again Ive been hearing all deep water is where there at.

53 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I was out with Reeltime today, he was nice enough to take my nephew and I out and we had a blast. Caught plenty of perch including some big ones. In fact as I was cleaning them I wished there were fewer lol 6a981cc87b6ff11425c1898b63b1b482.jpg37f90f97fa1a6a5e1dcfb39ee6d15326.jpg3f00f2c8bef78121a45c11ce7faaf4d1.jpg68505efd76a2bb86e46585d67ba01644.jpgf53761f63770dc596b6b860843c721f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks for making the trip out.  as I said I should of did more running and drilling to find bigger fish in size and quantity.  a;ways next time. lol

• Like 1