2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

Looks way bigger than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It needed to be 15# or up. In a derby and we were after the crown jewel. Lol. The infamous 3k fish. 14# is the leader right now. It was great fish but doesn't get to hit the scale.

Oh... Not to mention I have some long arms.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, chrisw said:

Another Salmon River Steelie today.IMG_20180308_110253319.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sweet looking fish! May I ask what you are catching them on? And what weight gear. One of these days I am going to try it I live to close not too!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, chrisw said:

Another Salmon River Steelie today.IMG_20180308_110253319.jpg

I was up the weekend after valentines day - first time in about 17 yrs - got skunked in ellis cove.  Guys were catching them on  that dead drift bobber set up where the reel free spins until you hook up and set from a drift boat.  At that time everyone was using blue egg sacs.

Sweet looking fish! May I ask what you are catching them on? And what weight gear. One of these days I am going to try it I live to close not too!
I catch most of mine on egg sacs with steelhead eggs cured a natural color. I tie up sacs in blue, pink, white, chartreuse and orange, the blue is typically the top performer though. Beads are also extremely popular to use. I use a 10' float rod with a centerpin reel, spooled with 12# monofilament mainline and a 3' leader of 6# flourocarbon. Typically you'll set your float 3-4' above your bait and drift the seams and deeper pools. I bring a 10' light action noodle rod with a spinning reel also as a backup. It seems really complicated at first but once you get into it things click quickly, although they are said to be the fish of 1,000 casts!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chrisw said:

I catch most of mine on egg sacs with steelhead eggs cured a natural color. I tie up sacs in blue, pink, white, chartreuse and orange, the blue is typically the top performer though. Beads are also extremely popular to use. I use a 10' float rod with a centerpin reel, spooled with 12# monofilament mainline and a 3' leader of 6# flourocarbon. Typically you'll set your float 3-4' above your bait and drift the seams and deeper pools. I bring a 10' light action noodle rod with a spinning reel also as a backup. It seems really complicated at first but once you get into it things click quickly, although they are said to be the fish of 1,000 casts!

Just curious: What is the advantage of a centerpin reel over a spinning reel?  I'm not familiar.  Nice steelhead!  

Just curious: What is the advantage of a centerpin reel over a spinning reel?  I'm not familiar.  Nice steelhead!  
A centerpin reel is basically just a free spinning spool. The advantage to this is the spool will spin at the same rate that the water is taking your float downstream so you just let it do the work and if you need to set the hook you just wrap your pinky and index finger around the spool and set the hook normally. What you want steelhead fishing is a drag free drift, this carries your bait downstream at a natural current speed. Steelhead can be extremely finicky so the right drift is essential a lot of the time. You can do this with a spinning reel also but it's not going to be as smooth a drift and won't be as long either typically as you need to pull line off of the spool while keeping as much line off of the water as possible. That's where the longer rods come in handy. You certainly don't need a centerpin, it's just a more specialized tool for current fishing and is also a bit more challenging as there is no drag system on 99% of centerpin reels, you're applying tension with your fingers on the outer edge of the spool to fight the fish. They are rather expensive but you can get a great functioning reel for $200. Check out the Okuma Raw II if you're interested!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Another one that couldn't resist the blue egg sac today. IMG_20180314_114936.jpgIMG_20180314_114622.jpg

just an FYI - there is a 2018 thread open now and that fish would be a stunning opener to it.  Beauty of a steelie!  Has some great color to it.  Do the spring runs seem to have any more or less color?  I have done ok on browns but a big steelhead never happened for me for some reason.  Spent a lot of time on the salmon and oswego rivers in my 20"s. 

just an FYI - there is a 2018 thread open now and that fish would be a stunning opener to it.  Beauty of a steelie!  Has some great color to it.  Do the spring runs seem to have any more or less color?  I have done ok on browns but a big steelhead never happened for me for some reason.  Spent a lot of time on the salmon and oswego rivers in my 20"s. 
Ok thanks, I didn't realize we had a 2018 thread up yet, I just posted it over there. Yea the spring fish get their spawning colors more so, the bucks get real Rosey cheeks and red stripe, the hens typically get dark with a pink/purple line but each fish is a bit different it seems. This fish was a buck. They're gorgeous fish no matter what color phase they're in!

they are beauties for sure.  Only fish i think has got em beat is a fall wild brookie.    Have seen a lot of them caught , netted a bunch for guys , caught a lot of salmon and some bugger browns but not a nice steelie.  Have tried a little winter fishing for them but each time i went it was soooo cold and the pools were even frozen over.  Hooked one that was prob 8-9 lbs once and real silver but it flipped the hook. Was using small curly tails soaked in anise oil.  A buddy of mine swore by them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, PREDATE said:

Yesterday's catch. 6lbs
In the oven as we speak.04fec90018794573d7345be9c482afc7.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Was that one taken from Keuka too, Predate  ?   Kinda looks like the Penn Yan Branch, looking southwest toward the Bluff..