2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

We went salmon fishing out of Port Ontario Pulaski yesterday and had a great day on the water.  Boated 11 fish all together, with about 6 strikes that we missed out on.   Pictured are 8 of the largest fish, but all fish were processed and are in the freezer.  Looking forward to smoking one of those giant filets soon! 
Salmon Fishing 8 16 2017.jpg
Can I ask how deep you were out? Looking at heading out that way after trapping show this weekend. Either port o or Oswego

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Can I ask how deep you were out? Looking at heading out that way after trapping show this weekend. Either port o or Oswego

We were 100 to 120 feet deep that day. 

• Like 1

good luck moog.

we fished wed, thu. fri.

wed, we did 2 kings and dropped 2  fished 2-4's till they got to 7 footers.

thursday we did 3 kings and dropped a couple.  rough water day again.

Friday we were once again met with 2-3's with 4's thrown in. went to 170 fow. set up there and set the autopilot on 000 heading.  did a small king around 300 fow and it was starting to lay down.  as we went north temp was coming up into more manageable fishing zones. 

by the time we hit 500 fow temp broke at 110' . got things rerigged and started marking more bait with at least some active fish zipping around on the screen.  550 we took a nice domestic rainbow of 9lbs.  picked away at a few skippy kings and got the right menu out there.

by this time we were in 700 fow and still going north when we doubled up with a decent king and a smaller king.  had a few misses on riggers and divers when I looked at the graph and we were in 580 fow.... I ranged out on the plotter and we were .7 miles from the border lol. turned around and started south.

by this time it was noon and we were 21.4 mile straight north of port.  I told the guys that since we had a couple tough days if they wanted to fish longer that would be ok.  they all agreed ( they have fished with me 12 years)  

I set the course and auto pilot to take us back south about a 1/4 mile east of our north troll and it must of been the right course as things lit up.  in the next 3 hours we had a lot of bites and got 2 good kings in the box and broke off another really big king when he got in the downrigger.

ended up boxing 8 kings and 1 rainbow.  going 14 for 30.  i cleaned fish, was pulling rods and had the hot rod of the day still in the downrigger when I went to pull that one just as a big ole drake king decided to eat the sea sick waddler spoon. so I had to bloody the deck again. lol.

we were still 10,2 miles out when I fired up the other motor and started back to port.  everyone was happy even though they had run outa beer at 1pm. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks guys.  Sporadic marks so far.  2 releases but nothing home.  Finding good temp around 100 deep

What a beautiful day to ge out there with your little first mate! Nice set up you have too! Good luck buddy. No matter what ya catch, it will be an awesome day! No Joel? Or is he more into the green fish? Keep safe out there. 

Edited by grampy

1 hour ago, grampy said:

What a beautiful day to ge out there with your little first mate! Nice set up you have too! Good luck buddy. No matter what ya catch, it will be an awesome day! No Joel? Or is he more into the green fish? Keep safe out there. 

No Joel today Grampy.  I think he wanted to sleep.  Been pretty slow but weather is perfect.  

Natalie reeled in her first king.  Perfect size for her

IMG_0910.JPG

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

No Joel today Grampy.  I think he wanted to sleep.  Been pretty slow but weather is perfect.  

Natalie reeled in her first king.  Perfect size for her

IMG_0910.JPG

That looks like a good-eating sized one there.  We are going to try and get out for a few hours in the morning tomorrow, as long as the waves are down.  We had to go with the backup plan of bass fishing the last two weekends because the weather did not cooperate out on the big lake.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That looks like a good-eating sized one there.  We are going to try and get out for a few hours in the morning tomorrow, as long as the waves are down.  We had to go with the backup plan of bass fishing the last two weekends because the weather did not cooperate out on the big lake.    

We need to get out where reeltime and Otto are fishing.  3.5hrs and we had 2 releases with nothing home, 1 screamer lost just after I pulled the rod from the holder and the little king.   Didn't see another boat hook up either.  Maybe we should have run deep.  Good luck out there.  I bay wasn't happening today.  

So Logan broke his kiddie fishing rod so I put him on mine.  I also couldn't get the spot I felt was ideal for him so we carried him out to a rock out on the water.  I casts and whenever I got a bite, I would hand the rod over to him.  He had a lot of fun.  Hopefully the video shows up so you can see.  But then once he discovered tiny crabs under rocks, that caught his attention for the rest of the day.  Such is the wandering mind of a 3 year old.

A big special thanks to those who helped me along the way...especially @greybeard.

Video Aug 27.mov

• Like 3

21 hours ago, moog5050 said:

pWe need to get out where reeltime and Otto are fishing.  3.5hrs and we had 2 releases with nothing home, 1 screamer lost just after I pulled the rod from the holder and the little king.   Didn't see another boat hook up either.  Maybe we should have run deep.  Good luck out there.  I bay wasn't happening today.  

We put in at Olcott and trolled for 45 minutes in 104 -99 ft.  The graph lit up as we headed west towards Wilson and we hooked into a 18 pound screamer that took about 15 minutes to land on 14 pound test.   It hit the rod with a bucktail fly that I had recently tied, behind a small silver doger.   We did not have enough time to set back up so that was it.   I would say it is on full-bore right now.  We will have to try and get out on a non-work day over the upcoming Labor day weekend.   I took two big slab fillets off that one to vacuum seal and try smoking this winter.

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Fished oz all day sat and Mexico almost all day today. Awesome trip went 5 for 9. 3 keeper coho 1 keeper atlantic and a small coho (I believe). Awesome trip out 1cb642e22d062e6d5bd9491bf6656123.jpgee1154f4b62a7761d9b3d745b17af723.jpg

Nice going!!

You see the trailer that sodfather used to haul his gear and dead honkers?  Opposite of your cooler. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

They are running hard right now...early run this year

I've been reading the reports everyday. River is running at a great level (with more rain to come) and the water is nice and cold. Hopefully there is still a good push of fish by the time I get there, but I find it hard to believe there wont be. Best Salmon run I've seen and they've seen in about 4 or 5 years.

All are invited to join me if they would like!

• Like 1