2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

I've been reading the reports everyday. River is running at a great level (with more rain to come) and the water is nice and cold. Hopefully there is still a good push of fish by the time I get there, but I find it hard to believe there wont be. Best Salmon run I've seen and they've seen in about 4 or 5 years.
All are invited to join me if they would like!
Absolutly throw up a post when you go it's a drive for me but I may be down....just stayed at Eddie's salmon river lodge last week

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We did not do too bad trolling for (4) hours off Wilson Harbor this morning.  We hooked (3) mature kings, but only landed one (an 18 pounder).  A big, extremely fast one broke the line on the initial run, and another shook the j-plug half way in to the boat.  The big ones were hitting chartruse j-plugs near the bottom in 80 - 85 ft.  We also landed (2) good baking-sized, younger kings (21 & 24" long), on chartruse nk spoons, that we ran on short leaders attached to the two main lines.  I worked the riggers,  my buddy drove the boat, and his kid reeled in almost all the fish (it was his first time salmon fishing and he loved it).  When we got back in the harbor after noon, I finally got to reel one in when I hooked a nice fat 16 in largemouth bass on a weedless jig right near the launch.  The three kings went in our cooler, but the bass went in the livewell, soon to join the 13 incher that I caught out there and put in my pond a few weeks ago.  Hopefully that will make a "mating pair".   

Nice Sunday morning. 0467ab5a801b99e5dca6d5311aab768f.jpg

Hope to get out another time or two before bow. Have not been out much at all this year.

One of these days I'll learn to fish the river. I only live 30 miles from Pulaski and never fished it. While I am interested in the fish I'm not interested in fishing shoulder to shoulder ever lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the weekend fishing out of a Siesta Key. The sea was ANGRY, we could only get out 8 miles the first day and had to stay inshore the second but we caught a lot of fish. No keeper grouper but a lot of key west snapper, which magically turned into tacos. Also a bog barracuda. This was my friends last trip in this boat, he has a new Grady White on the way with three 300s!f245c653025304e123959af181260181.jpg7a78d8f22d053e575a9078467ab98f75.jpg0800656461d04ab0eab68339e4e9d3c8.jpg9d4f304c6be22d73c894ccd477f47627.jpg308d774202f3c9848cdee246ecaf0726.jpga193754bc02985e1dce58594f7fc346c.jpgMore of a surge than Irma1c21ccc5094d2b58e4435c605084c660.jpg

• Like 9

Switched it up and fished lake nippissing this weekend for eyes (felt weird with the hot bite on Erie) all in all it was disappointing fish wise. Managed about ten keepers out of probably 250 walleye boated. But fun with friends and a few drinks was worth the trip. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After no luck trying for pheasant in the state park,  me and friend stopped at his lot on Lake Ontario and did some casting from shore, I caught one steelhead. Lots of trout jumping or breaking water very close to shore. Water was nice and calm for most of the day. Put the fish back in water to fight another day.

1022171023.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the north shore of Long Island  today in the kayak. It was around dawn and almost the top of the tide. There were hundreds of birds working over fish  about 1/2 mile out. I paddled insanely  to try to get up to them before they moved off, but was too late and only got 1 small striped bass. (2  bald eagles were  flying over there too). It was pretty breezy 10 to 20 mph  with the winds, coming in from the north which blew directly down the harbor. I got cold so I headed to more protected areas and saw birds there now too...The bass were finicky so I sized down and got 4 more, but nothing big...

I spoke to a guy in a boat who told me that he caught 3 keepers(over 28"), but I couldn't chase them like he could..

So I froze for only 5 small bass, but it was fun anyway.(.I can't take the cold like I used to)... I wanted to get a picture of all the birds hitting the water,  and the eagles , but my fingers were  numb from being  wet and cold so I didn't try to  take the camera out of my pocket...

20 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I went to the north shore of Long Island  today in the kayak. It was around dawn and almost the top of the tide. There were hundreds of birds working over fish  about 1/2 mile out. I paddled insanely  to try to get up to them before they moved off, but was too late and only got 1 small striped bass. (2  bald eagles were  flying over there too). It was pretty breezy 10 to 20 mph  with the winds, coming in from the north which blew directly down the harbor. I got cold so I headed to more protected areas and saw birds there now too...The bass were finicky so I sized down and got 4 more, but nothing big...

I spoke to a guy in a boat who told me that he caught 3 keepers(over 28"), but I couldn't chase them like he could..

So I froze for only 5 small bass, but it was fun anyway.(.I can't take the cold like I used to)... I wanted to get a picture of all the birds hitting the water,  and the eagles , but my fingers were  numb from being  wet and cold so I didn't try to  take the camera out of my pocket...

Youre a bad man, kayaking for stripers in great white waters, I love it! Cool stuff!

• Like 2

I took the kayak out on the north shore this morning... Gulls all over hitting the water with stiped bass  breaking under them...I paddled out to them and  even chased them to get quite a few bass...They were on small bait and pretty picky, but I got a bunch. They were UP TO 24 inches so no keepers, but fun...They were there from around 7a.m. until maybe 10 a.m.

I tried to get pictures as I caught some, but couldn't get any good shots...

I heard some shooting, but didn't see any duck hunters. I was kinda surprised...

IMG_1425.JPG

• Like 3

I stopped waterfowl hunting because my old bones can't take the cold anymore, but this morning for some demented reason I took the kayak to fish the north shore. I started out before daylight and as the it got light I saw birds over swirling fish..I think that most were herring, but I tried for stripers..My fingers got so cold and frozen that they hurt and eventually got numb..I didn't get any fish on my usual stuff so I kept changing lures which is tough with frozen fingers. I finally got the right lure and caught 3 stripers.. They were all in the 16 inch range, so I got nothing good for all that cold..Up until a few years ago I liked the cold, but now I'm whimpy and can't tolerate it.. I think that I'm hanging up the kayak until spring..By 9 a.m. everything was dead so I left.

I went to the south shore beach after that with my wife to walk the boardwalk and it warmed up.. I guess , this morning, I should have surf casted instead...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Awesome I have to make time for some pinning soon , I also run a rainbow reel. Lol beautiful fish 
Steelhead can be very humbling but today I won (in my eyes), I'm usually happy to have a couple of hookups, being that this is only my 4th time steelhead fishing I'm very happy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Steelhead can be very humbling but today I won (in my eyes), I'm usually happy to have a couple of hookups, being that this is only my 4th time steelhead fishing I'm very happy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

No doubt!  Those are beautiful fish and amazing sport fish.  Congrats.  Nice to get on them right from the get go!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...