2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

i'm not an ice fisherman just curious how you find a spot? how do you like the burbots? they look like ling cod witch are pretty good eats.

Same fish....They are also called lawyers because they are slimy bottom feeders...Hehehe...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

i'm not an ice fisherman just curious how you find a spot? how do you like the burbots? they look like ling cod witch are pretty good eats.
I find likely feeding spots on contour maps, and put them into my GPS then give them a try. I've got a few go to spots that usually produce. The burbots are pretty good, I boil them in butter and milk until they're cooked, then pan seared them real quick.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Nice. I'd eventually like to fish Oneida. Its been a tough bite here on lake champlain. Fish are in really deep water. Hopefully it picks up. Nice hogs.
Oneida is a phenomenal fishery but it can be very humbling too, the last 3 weeks were the best I've ever experienced for walleyes, it was on fire, it's slowed now but as long as there's ice I'll be out there!

Back in the 1960s   the walleye limit was ten per day....Oneida Lake had a special regulation that allowed 10 tip ups per person and you could set them out, leave them overnight and come back the next morning to check them, like checking a trapline...I never fished it, but talked to several old timers who did..They said that to catch  walleyes, you needed to set your baits close to the bottom, but not TOO close...If they were too close to the bottom you would catch lawyers ( burbot/ling)  and /or mudpuppies ( hellbenders)....   This is your history lesson for today....Hehehe...

• Like 3

Back in the 1960s   the walleye limit was ten per day....Oneida Lake had a special regulation that allowed 10 tip ups per person and you could set them out, leave them overnight and come back the next morning to check them, like checking a trapline...I never fished it, but talked to several old timers who did..They said that to catch  walleyes, you needed to set your baits close to the bottom, but not TOO close...If they were too close to the bottom you would catch lawyers ( burbot/ling)  and /or mudpuppies ( hellbenders)....   This is your history lesson for today....Hehehe...
In all of the years I've fished Oneida I've always caught burbots down on bottom, the oddest thing is happening right now and I have no idea why, the last two days I've been fishing 20-30' and I kept seeing baitfish marks way up at 5-10' below the ice, at first I ignored them but it was slow so I started reeling up to them and putting the bait in their face and they started pounding it, no matter where I went, there were big burbots cruising just under the ice, really weird for a bottom dweller.

• Like 1

Well if you ever need a fishing partner for the weekend let me know. If you ever wanna fish lake champlain I know a lot of spots to try out on the ny side.
I work most weekends unfortunately, I have a lot of time off during the week though. If you decide to fish Oneida I can send you a few coordinates to check out too!

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

I work most weekends unfortunately, I have a lot of time off during the week though. If you decide to fish Oneida I can send you a few coordinates to check out too!

Sounds good to me. My wife works at a school so maybe during feburary break ill try to make it down there. How's the jigging for perch? How bout tipups for northern pike? 

Sounds good to me. My wife works at a school so maybe during feburary break ill try to make it down there. How's the jigging for perch? How bout tipups for northern pike? 
I only use jigging rods now, I used to run tip ups for perch and eyes but the time you spent messing with them I think I catch more now with just one jigging rod. There are definitely some big northern in Oneida but you'll have to sort through 1,000 pickerel to get to them, any shallow areas or weeds is infested with pickerel. If you're looking for good tipup action, go to big bay with a pile of tipups and a bunch of shiners!

Nice catches Chris. I've been flirting with the idea of trying Onieda for the first time but it looks like if it doesn't happen in the next couple of days it might not happen this year with the on coming weather.
There's still 15" of ice out there but the shoreline can go quick with warm/wet weather.

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

Probably my toughest day out on Oneida this winter but I'll take it, on fish all day but they had lockjaw.IMG_20180212_161924284_HDR.jpg

Enjoying all the pics you have posted; every year it seems I put trying ice fishing on a list of things to but never seem to get there. Well done.

• Like 1