Think You Can Shoot...Check This Out

Canadian sniper breaks world record for longest confirmed kill shot in history:

A Canadian sniper in Iraq has broken the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in history. 

A member of the elite Special Forces unit, Joint Task Force 2, who has not been named, killed an Isis insurgent from 3,450 metres (2.1 miles) away. 

The shot broke the previous record, held by Craig Harrison, a member of the British armed forces, by almost 1000 metres. 

It took just under ten seconds for the bullet to hit the target and was fired from an elevated position. 

Whole story here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/canadian-sniper-iraq-world-record-longest-kill-shot-rifle-military-a7802151.html

• Like 2

Canadians have held a number of sniper records over the years. 

Before I get too nostalgic for poutine and Robertson screwdrivers, here's a Belgium kid offering a salute to some Canadian forces at a memorial. They honoUr him right back.

Edited by left field

Pretty good rundown of what would be required at that range as far as equipment and knowledge. If you're interested in 'long range' shooting - for us mere mortals that's basically anything over 400 yards on a woodchuck - and if you're into ballistics, this is pretty cool. I think he said the holdover with a regular scope base and rings would be about 400 feet with the target way out of your line of sight? And a 700 gr Hornady A-Max? Ouch!!

ETA: Checked again. Holdover with basic gear would be about 800 feet. That's 267 yards of holdover!

Edited by philoshop

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

that's basically anything over 400 yards on a woodchuck

I am lucky I could see my house at that distance let alone a woodchuck. Hell of a shot either way when I thought my personal long of 225 yds. on a whitetail was good.   :huh: