The Psychology Behind the Quest For Trophy Racks

Doc

I am curious as to what you all think is the motive behind "trophy-ism" in deer hunting. Does it have to do with the notion that the deer with the biggest racks represent the hardest challenge in deer hunting? Is there an assumption that large racks equate to increased deer intelligence? Is there some relationship between rack size and the craftiness of the deer? Perhaps it is just the notion that you have heard that better hunters get bigger racks and that rack size is a way of measuring success or hunting prowess. Maybe that relates to needed peer approval. Why do you want to get a big-racked deer? There is no right or wrong answer, I am just curious.

When I was younger, going back into my early 20's seeing deer and shooting a big racked deer were top priorities. Heck if you shot a big one it was hung on display for all to see. You received praise about your accomplishment which meant you were a good hunter. It felt good, looked good and meant everything to bagging that big one. Now at the age of 54 I could give a hoot about all that. It's me against them. I put in my home work and hopes it pays off. I don't need to hang a big one for everyone to see it just brings attention and trespassers! 

• Like 1

I was raised on the principle that any buck was a trophy....(for that matter, any deer.)

I certainly think older, thus bigger bucks must be wiser and more difficult to obtain, as there are fewer. For those truly passionate hunters who live for the long days and hard effort in the woods to obtain them, (the Bennoits of New England quickly come to mind) certainly I have all the respect in the world for their woods smarts and selectiveness. For the masses who are catered to by hunting TV celebrities and the showmanship of having the biggest and baddest, rack is merely one more way of showing off. Thus the popularity of guaranteed canned hunts.

For me it's not so much the trophy but more about giving a 1 to 1.5 year old buck a pass. If I lived solely off the land and had to feed my family that's different but I'd rather give those bucks a chance. That's just my opinion and I know others will disagree. 

• Like 1

I really don't think about the psychology of why I may shoot a certain buck. I just head into the woods, and if I'm lucky enough, a three year old or older buck will show himself. I choose to pass on year old bucks. But every hunters choice should be their own. I try not to over think hunting and keep it as simple as possible. If a deer I like ambles to me, I'll make my best effort to kill it as quickly as possible. Simple. No psychology involved for me.

• Like 4

It is the look at me give me your attention that most people want. Theread life is a waste if they can't say see what I did. This is why hunting is considered a game and called a sport. 

Think about it. If not for the look at me attention getting we would not have big buck clubs nor would we see as many pics as we offer on social media sites. Watch the posts of large bucks and compare to the ones of small bucks. Not only are there fewer pics there are fewer wows and great jobs saido but very little talk at all. Unless it is a kids first one. Now big buck the talk can go on for a couple days and get several posts saying how great and assume the deer is and the guy must be a great hunter.

These days everybody wants a trophy and they want the biggest one. Why do you think there are so many guys pushing for ar. They need and want the biggest trophy and they think telling someone who couldn't care less about that trophy what they can shoot will help them see more and bigger trophy for themselves. When I started hunting you didn't need to get permission to hunt someone's property everyone hunted everywhere. Bing bucks seemed of plenty and never got talked about much. Now if a big buck seen it is kept secret as long as possible and the land is locked up tight in hopes of Noone else getting it. Use to be we didn't need to know property lines because we never cared who hunted where. Land was not guarded it was used by one and all. Neighbors didn't go around complaining that your neighbor shot your buck. Nobody planted bait plots to keep their buck on their property and away from their neighbor. Heck that is why so many guys bow hunt now. They figured out that being out in the woods in October it is easier to get those big ones and it gives them first Crack before someone else might get there buck.

The thing that brought this about the fasts were the hunting shows. Unrealistic hunts with unrealistic bucks. Everything staged with raised deer feed and bread to produce large racks. It was entertainment at best but when people started watching and believing that they could get bucks like that as fast and as many hunting went sideways fast. More people from the city started hunting. Made them a real man to there none hunting city friends. When they realized that reality did not match the shows they were watching they bought more land locked it up and try to raise the biggest baddest bucks around. 

Never had bait plots, hit lists, ca me up with dumb little names for the bigger bucks, we didn't need the trophy or the accolades of others to be successful  or enjoy hunting. We did it for the food and for the extra connection with nature.

It is all about look at me and it gets worse every year. If there was a law that we had to leave the rack in the woods or couldn't show it off or mount it we would see a big decline in hunters.

• Like 4

If one collects rocks, I assume finding a rare rock is both more exciting and challenging than finding a common one.  It doesn't mean the rock collector is trying to impress anyone.  

Feel free to substitute "rack" for "rock".   Lol

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If one collects rocks, I assume finding a rare rock is both more exciting and challenging than finding a common one.  It doesn't mean the rock collector is trying to impress anyone.  

It does when they take pics and post them all over social media. Or when they brag about what the rock scored ad have it entered in a big rock club. Everyone sees and hears about big bucks that were gotten. Even people who do not hunt. It is impossible not to with all the bragging that is done. Only those who are into rock collecting hear about the rock because the guy who found it knows the praise and accolades will be few and so does not bother bragging to everyone about it. If bucks did not have antlers there would fewer hunters today. It has become human nature to want the praise of others. There are plenty of things people have, find or get that no one hears about. Why? Well because if there are no accolades to get out of it then why bother telling people about it.

Biggest rack in women , biggest truck , biggest engine , biggest biceps , biggest house , hardly think quest for biggest deer rack is in anyway unique.

'Merica !

Stubby , I gotta disagree about everyone knowing about big bucks killed. Few outside of hunting even know that there is a scoring system, most I know think my 10pt must be bigger then your 8pt . I still run into people who ask if I eat it ? 

3 % of New Yorkers hunt , most of the remaining 97% could'nt  tell what P&Y or B&C was or care in the least .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Some also do not have what it takes to go out and kill a mature buck on a regular basis so they belittle others that make it a habit. Some of us older hunters have killed 100's of deer so killing a deer is really not a big thing. There are plenty of does out there that need whacking so filling the freezer is not an issue either. I believe it takes a special gifted hunter who can go out and do his research and find a mature buck or two and then go take that animal on his turf. Not an easy task and many can't do it. As far as pics and such not everyone needs that either. My small group of guys that only shoot mature bucks have plenty covering their walls that were scored by legit scorers and put on the wall. A few cell pics on personal phones is about it. Every hunter has their own niche and hunts for their reasons but most must admit that it does not take a masters to go out and kill the dumbest deer in the woods (yearlings) or a few does. Now put all your eggs in only taking a mature buck or no buck at all and do it every couple of years or so and you are a hunter in a different league than many!

17 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Some also do not have what it takes to go out and kill a mature buck on a regular basis so they belittle others that make it a habit. Some of us older hunters have killed 100's of deer so killing a deer is really not a big thing. There are plenty of does out there that need whacking so filling the freezer is not an issue either. I believe it takes a special gifted hunter who can go out and do his research and find a mature buck or two and then go take that animal on his turf. Not an easy task and many can't do it. As far as pics and such not everyone needs that either. My small group of guys that only shoot mature bucks have plenty covering their walls that were scored by legit scorers and put on the wall. A few cell pics on personal phones is about it. Every hunter has their own niche and hunts for their reasons but most must admit that it does not take a masters to go out and kill the dumbest deer in the woods (yearlings) or a few does. Now put all your eggs in only taking a mature buck or no buck at all and do it every couple of years or so and you are a hunter in a different league than many!

And there you have it. The I am a better hunter then anyone else attitude. Give me props for being a better hunter because I killed a bigger buck then someone else. This is what it is about right here. One hunter putting down another for not killing the biggest buck. You said the bucks are scored and displayed on there walls. Why? So others can see and marvel at what you did?

I belittled no one I simply stated a fact about today's so called hunter. You knock people who say the shoot young bucks all the time then talk about being belittled for killing big bucks. Just because a hunter does not kill big bucks down not mean they do not have what it takes. Stop separating us we are all hunters there are no special hunters. How much hunting would you do if bucks did not have antlers of if it were billable to mount and display those antlers? You brag about the big bucks you supposedly kill all the time. Not passing pics around does not mean not bragging.  

3 hours ago, stubby68 said:

It does when they take pics and post them all over social media. Or when they brag about what the rock scored ad have it entered in a big rock club. Everyone sees and hears about big bucks that were gotten. Even people who do not hunt. It is impossible not to with all the bragging that is done. Only those who are into rock collecting hear about the rock because the guy who found it knows the praise and accolades will be few and so does not bother bragging to everyone about it. If bucks did not have antlers there would fewer hunters today. It has become human nature to want the praise of others. There are plenty of things people have, find or get that no one hears about. Why? Well because if there are no accolades to get out of it then why bother telling people about it.

It's possible it's ego, but letting other rock collectors know you found a rare one because they appreciate its rarity and the dedication it takes to find that rock is not the same as saying look, I am the best rock collector.  Often our views of others motives are colored by our own motivation.  Agree to disagree that ego is the sole motive.  Heck if the rock collector explains how he found that rock, it helps the other rock collectors to potentially find the same rare stone.  Is that ego or helping others with the same interest.  Check out hunting beast.  Some top notch hunters with little ego helping others to achieve their goals.  Pretty nice IMO.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Biggest rack in women , biggest truck , biggest engine , biggest biceps , biggest house , hardly think quest for biggest deer rack is in anyway unique.

'Merica !

Stubby , I gotta disagree about everyone knowing about big bucks killed. Few outside of hunting even know that there is a scoring system, most I know think my 10pt must be bigger then your 8pt . I still run into people who ask if I eat it ? 

3 % of New Yorkers hunt , most of the remaining 97% could'nt  tell what P&Y or B&C was or care in the least .

Agree Larry.  Non hunters and even some hunters have no interest whatsoever.   Kinda like me with rare rocks.  Lol

4 hours ago, stubby68 said:

And there you have it. The I am a better hunter then anyone else attitude. Give me props for being a better hunter because I killed a bigger buck then someone else. This is what it is about right here. One hunter putting down another for not killing the biggest buck. You said the bucks are scored and displayed on there walls. Why? So others can see and marvel at what you did?

I belittled no one I simply stated a fact about today's so called hunter. You knock people who say the shoot young bucks all the time then talk about being belittled for killing big bucks. Just because a hunter does not kill big bucks down not mean they do not have what it takes. Stop separating us we are all hunters there are no special hunters. How much hunting would you do if bucks did not have antlers of if it were billable to mount and display those antlers? You brag about the big bucks you supposedly kill all the time. Not passing pics around does not mean not bragging.  

Sorry but it does not take much of a hunter to kill a stupid deer. We are separated as hunter by our own choices. Yes i choose to shoot only bucks that give me a challenge to kill. Dont believe that makes me better but in a group of few, I can kill dumb deer all day long in places i hunt. Not much 'Hunting" involved in that. Now go find and 'Hunt' a 3-4 year old buck on any kind of steady basis and you are Hunting. The rest is pretty much just shooting deer for many.

Sorry but when bucks go on my wall they are there for my enjoyment and the only 'Others' as you say that marvel at them are people that may come into my home. And most times those people are the same kind of "Hunters" as i am and know what it takes to put them on that wall.  Yeah there is "Better" is most aspects of life anymore. 

I'm into trying to get a nice buck every year. Feeds the urge to hunt, but not disappointed if it doesn't happen and will try again the following season. Getting up at 4 AM,getting the coffee going and heading out at first light is good enough for me. If a 140 class bumbles in front of me broadside, that's great, but just being out there is the thing for me.

• Like 2

I don't know much about psychology but I know that shooting big bucks gets me excited, shooting little bucks and does doesn't. I eat every deer I kill but I don't need to kill hem for meat.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and I multiple encounters with immature bucks and hopefully only one with a Mature buck so I guess that makes a mature buck more of a challenge and a challenge is what gets my rocks off. I rarely keep a fish but I fish 2 or 3 times a week and don't ever take a picture of the small ones but I do if I catch a big one. I consider that taking pride in an accomplishment. Some may call it bragging and maybe they're correct but I don't really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Right I collect watches , but few outside of watch guys ever notice my Rolex let alone my Hamiltons or my Seiko I had a guy in Hong Kong customize , but watch Guys can spot the Seiko even though the name is removed and the face, bezel and hands are changed .

Nobody outside the hobby ( whatever hobby that may be ) knows or gives a crap about our hobbies. 

Garmpy I'll take the lump of gold, to ,many die who come into possession of large diamonds .

Back on track, I try to up my game and go for bucks of a certin size, I've killed tons of small bucks and frankly there is no challenge there for me . If I just wanted meat I could work a side job during the hours I spend on hunting and make enough to buy a side of beef, just in driving time to the land alone .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2