Westchester Hunters

Hookhunter20

The site says you can use it during regular gun season.  Suffolk you can use it early. 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Deer Tag Types and Privileges

Deer Tag Types and Privileges
Tag Type Valid For Can be used during
Regular Season Deer Tag Antlered Deer Only

Exceptions:
Antlered or Antlerless
  1. During the regular season in Westchester Co. and during any season in Suffolk Co.
  2. In Areas restricted to longbow hunting only
  3. During late season (with bow or muzzleloading privilege)

Regular Seasons
  • Northern Zone
  • Southern Zone

Late Seasons

• Bowhunting (with Bow Privilege)
  • Muzzleloading (with Muzzleloading Privilege)
Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag Antlered or Antlerless Deer
Cannot be used for Antlerless deer during muzzleloading seasons in certain Northern Zone WMUs that are for Antlered Deer only

Bowhunting OR Muzzleloading seasons only (including the regular season in Westchester County and any season in Suffolk County), corresponding to the privileges purchased.

Junior Bowhunters may use the Bow/Mz Either Sex tag during the Bowhunting and Regular Seasons.

Bow/Mz Season Antlerless Deer Tag Antlerless Deer Only
Cannot be used during muzzleloading seasons in certain Northern Zone WMUs that are for Antlered Deer only

Bowhunting OR Muzzleloading seasons only (including the regular season in Westchester County and any season in Suffolk County), corresponding to the privileges purchased,

Junior Bowhunters may use the Bow/Mz Antlerless Only tag during the Bowhunting and Regular Seasons.

Deer Management Permit Antlerless Deer Only
Valid only for the WMU specified on the DMP
Valid during all deer hunting seasons (with appropriate privileges).

Deer Management Permits

• Like 1

I suppose in theory you could use your regular season tag and your bow tag in Westchester on two bucks. I am the onky one with rights to hunt over 42 acres in Westchester and I have tons of deer, but as a matter of principle I refuse to shoot more than one buck per season. I'd rather help keep my herd healthy and not too few monster bucks. I've worked too many years at it to piss it all away and make me have doo doo land to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Additionally in the interest of full and fair disclosure it has been at least 3 seasons since I shot my last monster (the one in my avatar). There are bigger ones in my woods I know that for a fact. Unfortunately they always seem to evade me or come by just out of range. I may grow big deer but I seem to have trouble getting them close enough for a shot (within 40 yards)

16 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Not true there is no bow season in westchester there is only a regular season and you can use any tag at any time in westchester including your muzzle loader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed.  http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

Edited by dbHunterNY

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I suppose in theory you could use your regular season tag and your bow tag in Westchester on two bucks. I am the onky one with rights to hunt over 42 acres in Westchester and I have tons of deer, but as a matter of principle I refuse to shoot more than one buck per season. I'd rather help keep my herd healthy and not too few monster bucks. I've worked too many years at it to piss it all away and make me have doo doo land to hunt.

I do the same on my properties but majority of my spots are all 10 acres or under except for my 50 acres upstate. For Westchester I only have two small woodlot parcels I can hunt both maybe around 2 acres each. Hard to secure spots there now as you probably know. I was asking because I am not much of a gun hunter at all and wanted to know if I am lucky enough to tag a buck on my upstate or Putnam county properties early on if i could go and hunt my westchester spots for another buck or vice versa or if I was done on bucks until gun. Thanks for the replies guys, cleared it up for me!

• Like 1