Worthwhile Gear You've Purchased

Beyond bows, I would say that my badlands superday pack has been a great buy.  Tough as nails with a lifetime warranty (that I doubt I will ever need).  I use it more for working at the properties than hunting, but it comes out when I expect to do an all day sit too.  Worth the money.

Maybe the slickest thing I made was this " venison burrito ". Took piece of old golf dome. Ran 3 grommets on either side with 2 at the top. Cinch 3 together and run tow rope thru top 2 and drag normally. Dragged one 1.5 miles and one almost 2.5. Cut friction drastically fdfd7836fdb2d17be8964d0ef66fc18e.jpg21fbeffb45ce9c1c3057075ceb567015.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Beyond bows, I would say that my badlands superday pack has been a great buy.  Tough as nails with a lifetime warranty (that I doubt I will ever need).  I use it more for working at the properties than hunting, but it comes out when I expect to do an all day sit too.  Worth the money.

How is it in the rain? Stuff inside stays dry? I need a new solution

37 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How is it in the rain? Stuff inside stays dry? I need a new solution

It's water resistant but not waterproof.  If you sit in an all day downpour (I won't) it will get wet inside. For your typical shower, stuff stays dry.  You could spray the pack with camp dry if you need it more water resistant.  Or put the inner belongings in a plastic bag   I have no concern with electronics in it for the conditions I will hunt .

Great pack though.  Lots of room, outside pockets and dividers.  Very quiet and comfortable. I have carried it in some thick areas for the last 4 years.  Still looks new. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

It's water resistant but not waterproof.  If you sit in an all day downpour (I won't) it will get wet inside. For your typical shower, stuff stays dry.  You could spray the pack with camp dry if you need it more water resistant.  Or put the inner belongings in a plastic bag   I have no concern with electronics in it for the conditions I will hunt .

Great pack though.  Lots of room, outside pockets and dividers.  Very quiet and comfortable. I have carried it in some thick areas for the last 4 years.  Still looks new. 

I swear by Badlands packs. I have two and looking at a third. Not waterproof in heavy rain put I have my need to stay dry stuff in the bottom of my pack in a ziplock. The packs are a bit pricey but lifetime to them means lifetime. You can pick up a used one at a garage sale and they cover it for life. I have had a zipper tag break just order a new one, I had a strap stretch they put on new wider ones I requested on boom no questions asked.

I also have a Hunt Comfort Fatboy cushion that is the tops for sitting on stand for long times. Again a bit pricy but well worth it.

The Badlands packs also go on sale at certain times of the year so get on their email list if interested.

Camo neck gaiter, it acts as a hood, facemask or neck warmer, not sure of brand but it stretches and is smooth.  I also love my full camo/bright orang reversible face mask it is warm when the wind really bites.  I have a Gore-Tex suit that is the best in freezing rain from the late 80's that is still in great shape and is the only gear I will use in those conditions because I know I will be dry and warm.  I also use it below 20 degrees in windy conditions for the same reason.  Primos deer cans and grunt calls, I rarely hit the woods without them.  

Still have yet to find a really good pair of light waterproof gloves that you don't sweat in.  Any ideas?

It's always the zipper that's the issue as far as water getting in

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

My tenzing has a pouch that holds a rain poncho that covers the pack for rainstorms.  I think it works pretty good for keeping it dry.  Only thing is i wish it was camo and not Brown. 

The badlands look really nice and are a bit more affordable. Also im not sure on the tenzing warranty.

12 minutes ago, kpkot said:

My tenzing has a pouch that holds a rain poncho that covers the pack for rainstorms.  I think it works pretty good for keeping it dry.  Only thing is i wish it was camo and not Brown. 

The badlands look really nice and are a bit more affordable. Also im not sure on the tenzing warranty.

You can buy a variety of backpack rain covers in camo for cheap.  I am not sure if any backpacks are waterproof though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Rig em Right hand muff.. The best item of clothing I've ever bought. I hate wearing gloves duck hunting and this keeps them warm when it's slow.. great for deer hunting also

That's a good call. My cabelas goose down hand muff is a must have when it gets cold. I don't use gloves in bow season. 

That's a good call. My cabelas goose down hand muff is a must have when it gets cold. I don't use gloves in bow season. 

I'll third the hand muff. Throw a hand warmer in there and that's how I hunt all gun season. Never wear gloves.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'll third the hand muff. Throw a hand warmer in there and that's how I hunt all gun season. Never wear gloves.

The hand warmers!!!!!  What would I do without them!  They have literally sent deer to the freezer, by keeping me out there, "just a little longer"!

• Like 2

Two items that I have not seen mentioned, and that helped me with the two bucks I killed last season are a laser range finder and a pedestal/hammock tree seat.   I used the range finder to sight some objects around my stand and that allowed me to know the exact range and to put the arrow in the right spot on the buck that I killed on our farm with my crossbow last fall.  

The tree seat is light weight, easy to carry, and cost less than $ 20.   It allows comfortable shooting 360 degrees around and is simple to use.  Last season I made the best 50 yard shot of my life from that seat to kill my late-season Adirondack buck.

I can't complain about my Barnett Recruit crossbow.  I like it's low cost, small size, and ease of handling.  I think it is the perfect crossbow for the 13 days that NY state allows it's use.  It has got the job done for me each time I used it, dropping the bucks dead in sight or close enough to hear crash.

I have also had good service from the previously mentioned muff with handwarmer, and mostly good (3 out of 5) with the Butt-out II last year.  

There is lot's of good stuff out there, but the most worthwhile is the large-print NIV Bible that I carry in my pack most of the time and read a couple pages from nearly every morning.  That was about the best $ 5 that I have spent, and has directly contributed to all of the deer that ended up in our freezer over the last 5 years or so.