Saved a turtle today...

growalot

Not very big Almost black top shell with orange belly and orange stripes down neck...got him just before an older lady and gentlemen rounded the curve. Had my flashers on  and waved at them but they werent slowing down. Scooped it up and stepped back behind my car..swamp is on both sides so I placed it in the grass in the direction it was headed.

• Like 6

I was driving north of Lake George in Chestertown, New York in the mid 70's and saw this snapping turtle on the road. I thought that it was alive and went to get it off the road, but found that it was dead. Maybe he got rolled over by a passing car because it wasn't damaged. I picked it up and later  I skinned and mounted him. I'm glad that  don't see too many hit by cars. Nice job Grow.DSC02621.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Scooped it up and stepped back behind my car..swamp is on both sides so I placed it in the grass in the direction it was headed.

Is that the south end of the West Lake Rd along Honeoye Lake, just north of Naples?

You know, the spot with the swamp RIGHT next to the road??

I don't travel much any more, but there was a time when 2 dozen turtles a year or so would be about average. I also try not to run over snakes with my mower when I see them.

I've raced cars, bikes and karts for most of my life. Hitting the intentionally bumpy pavement on the inside or outside of tight turns is called "being in the turtles". I never liked that expression.