Thoughts and prayers please

philoshop

I'm hoping my brother will call tonight with some information. I'm not the type to bother people unnecessarily in a stressful situation like this, even though I certainly do care. We're a close family, and I'll hear details when they have time to take a breath.

• Like 6

Man I was thinking about that kid last night....good to hear he is in the road to recovery.
I come from a Harley riding family and have been around bikes since I could crawl. The one thing my mom and dad always instilled in me was to respect the machine and have your head on a swivel at all times! That swivel advice has saved me more than once!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't even know the details of how it happened mlammerhirt. His fault or the car driver's? I can't speculate.

I raced motorcycles semi-professionally for several years, and even on a race course with competent drivers you have to always pay attention. Same thing with karts, boats, bicycles, or any other vehicle that's tried to kill me over the years. Situational awareness, and a constant escape plan. Be safe everyone.

• Like 2

Here's an update:

He was moved from the ICU to a regular room last night, so that's a very good sign.

On the other hand, he sustained multiple fractures in both legs, a smashed hip, a shattered pelvis, and a broken tailbone. The docs repaired the hip rather than replacing it immediately, but cautioned that the replacement may need to be done within the next couple of years. They think he could possibly be able to stand and move around a little bit by the end of the year, but it's going to take years of PT before he'll be able to actually get around on his own. He's 28 YO.

The driver who hit him is 93 YO and was making a left turn on a multi-lane highway and apparently hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

God bless the older folks who cherish their freedom and mobility, but at some point it's time to hang up the car keys.

ETA: Thanks again to all you folks for the prayers and well-wishes.

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 1

Good news (as good as it can get I guess??) on the young man.  At first I thought it was going to end up as a fatality, sure glad it isn't!

We have worried about my FIL's driving for a couple years but pulling their keys away is a very difficult thing.  That said, having them voluntarily hang 'em up is even harder.  He is done driving now as he's in the assisted living facility but he still assures us that he could drive just fine............................NOT!

I was in a bad snowmobile wreck (involving a head on collision with a pickup truck) when I was a little younger than that.   Full leathers protected me pretty good, but I dislocated a hip.   The doc told me that there was a 9 out of 10 chance that I would need a hip replacement within 5 years.   I guess that the blood flow to the ball joint usually gets severed during a disconnect.   That was more than 25 years ago, and I have not had any trouble with it after they poped it back in at the Olean hospital, so long ago.  I will say another prayer that he will be ok and I am glad to hear that he is doing a lot better.  Keep us posted.    

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Good news (as good as it can get I guess??) on the young man.  At first I thought it was going to end up as a fatality, sure glad it isn't!

We have worried about my FIL's driving for a couple years but pulling their keys away is a very difficult thing.  That said, having them voluntarily hang 'em up is even harder.  He is done driving now as he's in the assisted living facility but he still assures us that he could drive just fine............................NOT!

It's essentially an intervention, Larry. There are experts who can and will coach the family members on how it needs to be done. I don't imagine it's ever much fun.

That fire of independence is what made this country great, though, and the older folks tend to have a real good handle on just how fragile that independence is, whether they're physically able to drive or not. I think that's what you're FIL means.

5 minutes ago, philoshop said:

It's essentially an intervention, Larry. There are experts who can and will coach the family members on how it needs to be done. I don't imagine it's ever much fun.

That fire of independence is what made this country great, though, and the older folks tend to have a real good handle on just how fragile that independence is, whether they're physically able to drive or not. I think that's what you're FIL means.

There came a time when both my Dad and (later) my Mom both had to give up their car keys...

I was very fortunate in the fact that when the time came, they both knew that they were no longer capable of driving safely and they gave up the keys voluntarily...

It  still, however, breaks my heart remembering the tears that they both shed on that occasion....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I was in a bad snowmobile wreck (involving a head on collision with a pickup truck) when I was a little younger than that.   Full leathers protected me pretty good, but I dislocated a hip.   The doc told me that there was a 9 out of 10 chance that I would need a hip replacement within 5 years.   I guess that the blood flow to the ball joint usually gets severed during a disconnect.   That was more than 25 years ago, and I have not has any trouble with it after they poped it back in at the Olean hospital, so long ago.  I will say another prayer that he will be ok and I am glad to hear that he is doing a lot better.  Keep us posted.    

Christopher has no ball and socket joint left in his hip. And no cartilage at all remaining in that joint. His hip was 40 pieces of bone fragments. I appreciate the ongoing prayers, wolc123.

I hate to hear of this but it is all too common these days. Best wishes to you and everyone involved.  I broke my back in three places,3 yrs ago. Was back on the roof a few months later..2 surgeries since then. I wish him all the best. Its not over til the fat lady sings......prayers