Crossbow [target shooting] in 8C?

Core

Currently 8C allows ONLY bow hunting for deer; no firearms and no crossbows.

I'm considering buying a property in 8C (I wish I wasn't, but that's a thread for another day). As long as the DEC rules of 250 feet are followed, does anybody know of a reason I couldn't at least target shoot a crossbow? The town is Penfield, and I don't see any specific regulation in Penfield against crossbow target shooting, even though they do have some specific rules against firearms above and beyond DEC guidelines.

Oh, and does anybody know if the DEC plans any change to crossbow to allow crossbow inclusion into 8C and the other WMU that is bow-only? I know people are more focused on full inclusion, but still I thought I'd ask!

Edited by Core

• 3 months later...

I believe the towns are more sensible than than the state with regard to how they view the differences of a recurve, compound / crossbow.   The state I believe  in an effort to take more money out of your pocket request the compound owner to possess both archery and muzzleloader  license to use a cross bow to hunt an extremely limited part of the deer season.  The state deer hunting regulations would have nothing to do with the town regulations. If discharging a bow is allowed per town ordinance you should have no problem.  

Of course, I wouldn’t want to mislead you.   So verify my info with the town.  (Is it legal to target shoot a crossbow in the town boundaries?)