Who's Kids Are Really Into It??

Lawdwaz

When I was a kid I was crazy for fishing.  Being 12, 13, 14  etc and a little too young to drive I begged my folks to take me fishing all spring and summer.  Mom & dad owned a place up on the hill between Canadice and Hemlock Lakes and my buddy Steve and I were always getting dropped of at some farm pond, creek or either of the two mentioned lakes, we begged for a lift! (wish like heck there was Lyft or Uber THEN!!)

Springwater Creek and the Cohocton River were favorites when I was down in "the country".  At home in Amherst we had a few spots to hit, one of them was a very small creek running through a ritzy neighborhood.  I crushed the bullheads and suckers there!  Breadballs on a hand line did the trick, no rod or reel was necessary.

As I got older and started driving, girls, hunting and work took up most of my time.  My buddy Steve just didn't do it for me as much anymore :)

I still fished but just not as much as I did when I was younger.  

How about your childhood and more so, how about your kids, are THEY into it?

Did it a bit on and off as a kid, was never that great at it. Have brought the kids a few times but they are cool to it and have the same fishing incompetence I do. There was only one time I really did well. My dad took me and the brothers deep sea fishing and that one day--actually it was on a charter boat--we pulled in an entire garbage bag of fish. Jigging, no less--not even bait. Just a flashy lure and they swim by it and you yank up and nail them in the body. That day was fun :)

• Like 1

I grew up hunting fishing trapping for as long as I can remember. I was 11 when I got my trapping licence and began running my own line. I was hunting alone by 12 with real firepower. It's all I've ever known. Fished all summer behind wegmans with dad. Catching bluegill and bass. Still do to this day at least once a month.

My boy is 7 has a 22 bb gun compound and xbow (bows are very beginner level) and I think he likes hunting (more so shooting) as much as I do. He hates sitting for long but loves seeing the deer. We have had 2 extremely close calls with nice bucks during bow season that ended up being wounded and taken on different dates. Hopefully this will be his first season out with me during gun season. Trying to get his patience level increased lol. He's been running my trap line with me for 4 years now. He's real into that even tried setting his own in the garden. He doesn't seem to care to much for fishing but likes catching.

We are both learning trolling of the fingerlakes together now. Lol

He was super pumped today when a doe walked right thru our side yard while they were outside playing.

By the way somehow I completely missed how this was all about fishing orginally. Sorry lawd

• Like 2

When I was younger I was into hunting way more than fishing. Fishing was always a hassle getting snags and breaking off $5 rapala or rattle trap. I just didn't have $20 to throw away every time I wanted to get a line wet. Then I learned to tie my own flies and was back into it. But hunting consumes me and I love it.. My kids enjoy fishing but it's the bobber and worm 

• Like 1

My 13 year old girls are not all that into it.   Certainly not like I was at that age.  They were into it a bit more before they got their smart phones.  Their mother was more into it while we were dating.  We were married on opening day of bass season and spent our honeymoon on a two week long bass fishing trip split between a remote off-the grid cabin on a small lake on the Indian river and up on the St Lawrence with my boat and truck camper.  We have been repeating the last half of that trip every year since then.  The kids usually fish off the dock a little at least but they did not even do that this year.   They are way more into swimming and riding their bikes.       

I also fished for bullheads, suckers, rock bass, and northern pike, maybe in that same stream when I was young, but upstream a little on the other side of Transit.  There was also a local pond with real good largemouth bass action.  I never really lost interest in fishing, but the kids and deer hunting have put a dent in the time I spend doing it. 

I am hoping maybe my older "Irish twin" will have a little time to go fishing with me next Monday when we get an extra day off work for the 4th.   Hopefully the wind and rain hold off and the lake Erie boat launches won't be that crowded.   If she gets too bored, she can get on her smart phone in the boat.  

As a kid riding bikes was a big then. My friends and I would put tackle boxes in bookbags, hang buckets on the handle bars, and hold as many poles as possible and ride around fishing lots of unnamed ponds. Was big info hunting with pellet gun too.

Then girls, sports, partying happened and I didn't much of either from like 16-25 before returning to fishing/hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would ride my bike to lake hopatcong in NJ and fish all day when I was 8 or 9. I would have a heart attack if my kids did that. If I opened a birthday card and a $5 flopped out it was off to Ramsey's for an Arbogast lure or jelly worms. I got a kick out of seeing Ramsey's get busted out by Tony Soprano lol

Well I'm a bit younger than many of the people here, but fishing was huge part of my life when I was younger. When my grandparents lived upstate I would go hunting with them often, but when they moved down to LI I didn't do much hunting at all. I did do plenty of fishing though. At that point hunting was a once a year thing but fishing was all spring and summer for me. I feel bad that I made my dad waste so much time doing something he didn't care for. I didn't fish much during middle school (maybe 10 days a year) and fishing really took a back seat once I got my own license to hunt and now that has become my passion. Since then I've fished maybe 8 or so days a year maximum. This year I've already gone more than the last few years combined and I'll probably double that number by the end of summer. I love fishing but once hunting season comes I put the rods away for the winter (with the exception of salmon/steelhead fishing that one weekend a year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never really fished as a kid.  As an adult, I've gone occasionally with friends more to share a drink and just hang out and some times a fish would actually bite my line.  I starting getting more into it the last few years now that I'm older and much more settled down.  Then I switch jobs a couple of months ago and now I don't seem to have time for anything.  Twice this past month my 3 and half year old son told me he wants to go fishing.  I don't know where he got that from.  Maybe saw something on TV or something.  Now I need to find some time and maybe look for a stocked pond or something.  He loves nature and I totally see him taking up hunting and fishing when he gets older.  My negative 3 month old hasn't said anything unless you count his kicks as a sign that he wants to fish as well.

• Like 2

Always loved fishing, especially saltwater. Even when I was busy running my deer processing business and rarely found time to hunt, I'd always fish in the spring & summer. Once I caught the turkey hunting disease, I got away from trout fishing (April & May), but realistically, I don't get real excited fishing for stockers anyway.

I taught both of my boys to fish. My oldest boy is more of an adrenaline junky (skiing, skateboarding, snowboarding, mountain biking, etc), says it's too boring. My youngest boy still enjoys it, we have a couple charters planned this fall, and we're headed up to a fly-in camp in Ontario in August, we're both counting down the days!! :)

I was into fishing alot.luckily where my psrentd live i either had a choice of 2 ponds that ran off black creek or after school me and my buddy would walk a mile or two stretch of black creek starting behind his house right down the street from me.that was when blsck creek was loaded with pike and smallies.all we'd use was out ultralight setups with spinnerbaits

I have a picture of myself standing on a dock Keuka Lake, wearing a life jacket and holding my Dad's 9 foot split bamboo fly rod.

I was four years old at the time and I still have the fly rod..Dad won it in a trout contest at Naples Creek in 1936.

Dad used to tell his friends that I would rather fish than eat.

My daughter loves to eat fresh fish, but she never developed much interest in fishing..She was too involved in girly things, drum &bugl corps, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

When I was a kid I was crazy for fishing.  Being 12, 13, 14  etc and a little too young to drive I begged my folks to take me fishing all spring and summer.  Mom & dad owned a place up on the hill between Canadice and Hemlock Lakes and my buddy Steve and I were always getting dropped of at some farm pond, creek or either of the two mentioned lakes, we begged for a lift! (wish like heck there was Lyft or Uber THEN!!)

Springwater Creek and the Cohocton River were favorites when I was down in "the country".  At home in Amherst we had a few spots to hit, one of them was a very small creek running through a ritzy neighborhood.  I crushed the bullheads and suckers there!  Breadballs on a hand line did the trick, no rod or reel was necessary.

As I got older and started driving, girls, hunting and work took up most of my time.  My buddy Steve just didn't do it for me as much anymore :)

I still fished but just not as much as I did when I was younger.  

How about your childhood and more so, how about your kids, are THEY into it?

I grew up in Amherst (Eggertsville) also... Our thing was biking all over the place for day fishing trips.  I lived near Bocces Pizza on Baily... from there we would bike to as far as Grand Island... We fished all over the Island...From Beaver to Buckhorn. Foot of Sheridan Dr. was a popular spot too.  At that time they were just starting to build the UB South campus.  All the ponds were in and we caught tons of stuff in there... one of the ponds held a few walleye.  We only caught (and released) two yellows in there, then never saw one again.  Big carp, tons of panfish, bullheads and bass. Another popular spot was under the south Grand Island bridge.  Never walked away empty handed from there!

Great memories

Edited by Arcade Hunter
South Campus, Not north...lol

My kids seem to fish about 2-3 times per week with or without me.  Last night, they were both reorganizing tackle boxes and spooling line.  They are hooked, my son on bass, my daughter on panfish.  I grew up on lake o chasing salmon and trout and we still do but this year the weather and water levels have not cooperated. 

• Like 1

Living near the Canasaraga creek I fished a lot. Grandpa was a big trout fisherman and hunter. We spent many hours sitting together on the creek and local ponds and reservoirs fishing..He taught me a lot about trout fishing.currents,pools,overhangs,shadows and hatches. Then we lived on Conesus and the Genesee river, plus the swamps of south Orlando. The kids spent a few weeks on Loonlake each summer and we live minutes from the lakes,Cohocton River and Naples and Springwater creeks. Both were in scouts so summer camps were on water. Now both are way too busy. Though while kayaking our daughter pulled a very expensive rod and reel out ofthe water ..the tip needs repairing but an easy fix.

Edited by growalot

Heck ya I liked fishing as a kid. Used to skip school and pedal our bikes to the quarries and Willow beach on Pavement rd. Caught some nice bass and hammer handle pike there. Carp fish the Cayuga in Lancaster with dough balls and a can of Kodiak chaw.

Fished the Cayuga in Lancaster CC a lot as well.

Largemouth fishing with my dad at my Aunts on Tinkam Rd in Darien. We'd set the Minnie trap at the golf course for big chubs. Throw on a big ole bobber and wait mere seconds . Biggest largemouth I've ever seen. Could easily stuff your fist down their mouth. Weed choke and winter kill did that in years ago. They took out wheelbarrows full. Still produces a few big uns but not like it used to be. Some big perch now though. Dad and I would always stop at Beachy's at 77 and Broadway for a hot dog and milkshake. ( Thanks for reminding me of those memories)

Zinging spoons of the breakwall at mouth of the Catt for steelies a lot !

Niagara gorge in Artpark for lakers.

Daughter loves fishing. Requested that we go on her first day of summer break. My mom got her a worm bucket and polarized glasses for her 10th bday  One of our best excursions was floating the Grasse river in Messina . Long float and hammered the smallies. All though a day on Lake Erie on a boat is always a blast. She was whooped after reeling in back to back to back sheephead last week, lol   She was literally bummed it was too windy for the lake yesterday. Maybe try tomorrow   And she has a better rod/reel combo than I do. When she could barely walk we went to Westwood park in Lancaster. I was untangling a mess of the line. Turn around and she's got all the nightcrawlers poured out in her hand and counting them as she's putting them back in the container.

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_2618.PNG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 4

thats my first love i was 6 yrs old i caught my first fish it was on the ten mile river in narrowsburg 1/4 mile from my grandmoms summer  home i dug worms and caught a bluegill brought it home my father made me put it outside and a racccon ate it(i never let him go for that lol) i fished the lakes and reservoirs in sullivan cty and of course the delaware.i move to ozone park when i was 14 and fished and crabbed off the bridge to rockaway. i took my grandson fishing last year  to carry on the tradition . i just got back into fresh water again fly fishing. i go to north carolina for red snappers and groupers. im going again to Rochester to fish for salmon and rainbow trout. i love hunting but fishing is my first love

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

thats my first love i was 6 yrs old i caught my first fish it was on the ten mile river in narrowsburg 1/4 mile from my grandmoms summer  home i dug worms and caught a bluegill brought it home my father made me put it outside and a racccon ate it(i never let him go for that lol) i fished the lakes and reservoirs in sullivan cty and of course the delaware.i move to ozone park when i was 14 and fished and crabbed off the bridge to rockaway. i took my grandson fishing last year  to carry on the tradition . i just got back into fresh water again fly fishing. i go to north carolina for red snappers and groupers. im going again to Rochester to fish for salmon and rainbow trout. i love hunting but fishing is my first love

Where are you fishing near Rochester.  West of the Genny has been hot from what I hear.  Braddocks and oak orchard.  East has been slower. If you are chartering, I am sure the captain will put you on fish.  

On 6/30/2017 at 9:40 PM, moog5050 said:

Where are you fishing near Rochester.  West of the Genny has been hot from what I hear.  Braddocks and oak orchard.  East has been slower. If you are chartering, I am sure the captain will put you on fish.  

yeah we're chartering a boat dream catcher charters. i when two yrs ago had a blast i hope its going to be as good we're going 7/29 last time we went in early sept. its was incredible

10 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

yeah we're chartering a boat dream catcher charters. i when two yrs ago had a blast i hope its going to be as good we're going 7/29 last time we went in early sept. its was incredible

Little easier to get on the salmon in early sept but a good captain should do it in July too and the fight is even better.  Good luck!

My older (13 year old) daughter is the exact same way.   She wanted to stop at Subway today on the way home from lake Erie.   She does ok fishing when the fish are shallow.  The bass were hitting at about 25 feet today and that was a little too deep for her and her Zebco 33.   She did do a fine job netting the (3) I hooked into.   She was on the fence about going today, but I coaxed her into it by offering her $5 per hour plus a $1.00 bonus for every"keeper" bass (12-18").  She said that it was more fun making money that way than it is from babysitting.  

Maybe I will try and break her in on driving the boat for a little salmon trolling out on lake Ontario later this summer.  It only takes me about 30 minutes to drive there.  It was very nice out on lake Erie today, with moderate temperature,  light variable winds, and just enough sunshine.  I would have liked to get have gotten out a little earlier (she slept in until 8:00 am) but at least we hit the boat launch when it was not too crowded, both launching at 8:45, and retrieving at 11:45.   The drive to lake Ontario is much more enjoyable because I can take back roads all the way. 

The highways around Buffalo are busy and in very rough shape.  I would much prefer to eat the fish out of lake Erie however.   We have enough fish to eat in the freezer now, so I will go for the sport of the lake Ontario salmon for the rest of the summer.  The kings and steelhead usually start putting on a pretty good show by the end of July.        

Edited by wolc123