Herion OD's

Nomad

It's getting pretty crazy, tonight there have been 3 that I heard come in, last week at shift change my company went for a guy who rear ended a Help Truck on the side of an expressway, the guy was shooting up while driving on an expressway ! My relief was in so,I did not go, but I've been to a few accidents where the driver had a tourniquet on his arm and a needle on his lap .... They're driving while shooting up !

It used to be only in drug houses and empty lots in the ghetto , now sadly it's college kids and suburn businessmen as well, not that anyone OD ing is good, but it's so widespeard today. I don't judge I treat and truly hope they can kick,it .

This morning onthe way home I. Stopped for an oil,change and to get the Buick inspected , I'm in the waiting room and a worker comes in , "  would you mind coming outside there's a woman who fainted in her car in line? ( I was in uniform )"  So I hop in the passenger seat. She has snoring respirations, weak pulse, fixed pinpoint pupils, sweaty , unresponsive to verbal and painful stimulus, a blueish color, all classic signs of an OD. I not not find any needles or drugs although she could have used prior. I can't say with 100% certainty but it walked and talked like a duck. Ambulance and PD arrived quickly I filled them in and went back inside so I don't know if she responded to  Narcan .

Oh and as I wrote this another OD call came in, that's four so,far tonight and two shootings one I believe was fatal, one just came in for a person shot In the neck and another was beat to an inch of his life with what was possibly a bat, and my girls never understood why I wouldn't want them to,do,this job .

We now carry about 8 doses of Narcan on the rig, some just for use on Fire and Poilce personal as some of the stuff being used to cut it, like Fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin and accidently touching it can cause an OD to responders , I had gloves on me today .

I guess I'm just venting as I sure don't know what the answer is .

• Like 1

I saw 2 people OD'd sitting in a gas station parking lot on rt. 5 not that long ago ,cops were just showing up . My co-worker said they both made it (volunteer FD nearby) . He was telling me stories about people getting angry when they come around from the narcan . It seems almost everyone nowadays knows of someone who OD'd on that crap.

i've watched a bunch of young and old destroy there lives with that crap.Everyone of them started off with oxycodone from an injury then when they couldn't get the pills any more they hit the streets.I blowout my back two years ago the doctor gave me a 120 pills i took 2 what a crazy feeling i dealt with the pain after that.it's been out of control for a few years now.

• Like 2

I don't know what the answer is...a lot of people like getting high I guess. We've had epidemics in this country in the past, I remember reading years ago that a lot of Civil War vets came home from the war addicted to morphine, and we outlawed alcohol back at the beginning of the last century for a while.

The heroin they sell these days seems to be much stronger than what used to be sold, I guess it's so cheap that they don't need to dilute it anymore to make a profit? My nephew told me 22 of his friends and acquaintances have died from heroin ODs so far (he's 25), and his sister (my niece) has been in and out of the rehab 3 times in the last 4 years, last time she OD'd my brother-in-law found her, he literally brought her back from the dead before 911 showed up; I'm praying she has "hit her bottom" this time, she's a beautiful girl and has so much potential.:crying:

I'm a fan of building the wall no matter what it costs; while I understand the War On Drugs has pretty much been a dismal failure, ANY steps that can be made to stop bringing this stuff into the country has to be a step in the right direction. And yes, I do realize that heroin and drugs will still find their way here, but I'd like to think slowing the supply chain would at least bring things away from epidemic levels.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

I have zero sympathy for a drug addict.

Unless a person has the brain capacity of a squirrel they know the repurcussions from using drugs including pain pills and the like.

I also think it is a lame excuse that someone became hooked unknowingly while using prescription pain medication........again they knew what could happen prior to starting the medication.Sure some people use a prescription and stop the medication once the pain subsides but a lot more continue to take the medication because they can't deal with reality and prefer to live in euphoria while under the influence of drugs.Then their family and loved ones blame everyone under the sun for the loss of life.

It's a simple concept..........if you don't want to get hooked don't start in the first place.

Too many people in todays world that do not want to take responsibility for their actions.

• Like 1

I like the "3 strikes your out" deal. 

We'll give you narcan 3 times. If you choose to continue and not get help, your on your own. 

I don't think it's right that I have to pay over and over to the same people to save there asses. Narcan isn't cheap, our taxes are paying for this stuff. 

And before you if I knew someone who's gone through this, I'd think differently, you'd be wrong. I've see the destruction, pain this cause the person and their families. 

Sorry but it is a choice. You choose to continue, no more narcan. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry302 said:

I guess I'm just venting as I sure don't know what the answer is .

I will give you a clue, you can find your answer in the Bible.    

Here it is for those with little time:  Faith in Jesus Christ will eliminate anyone's need for drugs.  It really is that simple. 

A guy from Tonawanda was charged yesterday with manslaughter in the death of a girl he had given a crushed up opiod to. The girl was drunk and she snorted it like cocaine up her nose and died from it. The Erie County D.A. says there will be zero tolerance to any one who gives or sells any opiods to someone and that person dies. It certainly won't stop all these overdoses, but it might make someone think twice about sharing or selling opiods to someone. 

• Like 1

I don't get involved with religion or politics for that matter but I have seen way too many people that have tried to use the bible/god/jesus thing on one hand and then pick up a crack pipe/needle and spoon/bottle of booze/whatever with the other hand.........all while proclaiming that Jesus saved them..........I'm better than you because I'm with God.........blah blah.

It boils down to the person and what they are made of which determines their path in life.........nothing more.

It is a safe bet that if you look back and see the path of anyone with issues-whatever they may be-it has holes and voids that they are trying to fill with drugs,drink,gambling,sex addiction........you name it.

• Like 1

I girl in Olean was convicted for manslauter for selling laced heroin to someone just made front page last few days. I will tell you my little sister is head of a big rehab clinic in Sc where she deals with it on a daily basis and watches people throw their lives away. I for one am more for a strike deal not 3 we will give it to you once after that sorry but your choices suck. Why would we keep saving people who don't want to be saved. I grew up in Canandaigua and at least 10 people I went to HS with have od. It's a shame and some were real shockers when I heard. The problem is the way we handle them we need a drug jail. You od you get caught with it you go there (rehab jail if you will). Drs on hand for withdrawal but when released you would be clean. Then the choice would be yours again. If happens again no rehab jail but regular jail and for some time. Now a days seems like you get caught with it there's no punishment they take it charge you. You go to court claim mental instability and your right back to using. Crazy world

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Here it is for those with little time:  Faith in Jesus Christ will eliminate anyone's need for drugs.  It really is that simple. 

Not really

I had a cousin, a few years older than me who died from an untreated wound on his leg sustained from a bicycle fall. He used a bicycle because he could not afford a car. 

He came back from Nam in 1971 addicted to heroin. He was in and out of rehabs and the methadone clinics his entire life and never held a job for more than a few weeks at a time.

The untreated wound became systemic because in his clouded mental state he thought he just had the flu and after feeling so bad for about a week, one of his "smack" using friends, a women user, called 911 and reported his illness and unresponsiveness. She then left and they found him and took him to the ER where he admitted to the hospital. It was too late. The infection was so advanced that infection could not helped by antibiotics and he passed away. 

In those early days heroin use was not too well known and not as understood.  In 2017, everyone that isn't living in a cave somewhere knows the deal with this shit. I too agree with an earlier post. We will help you once but after that you're on your own. When other people must pay hundreds of dollars a month for medications to stay alive and when an addict can receive Narcan at no charge this is not right. How bout the police and EMS that have to administer the Narcan to the overdoser, this can't be enjoyable either.  

I just can't feel sorry for people who go down this road. They know better. This isn't someone puffin some weed a couple times a year or having a few beers on a Friday night - this is russian roulette.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinny Tagalucci said:

I don't get involved with religion or politics for that matter but I have seen way too many people that have tried to use the bible/god/jesus thing on one hand and then pick up a crack pipe/needle and spoon/bottle of booze/whatever with the other hand.........all while proclaiming that Jesus saved them..........I'm better than you because I'm with God.........blah blah.

It boils down to the person and what they are made of which determines their path in life.........nothing more.

It is a safe bet that if you look back and see the path of anyone with issues-whatever they may be-it has holes and voids that they are trying to fill with drugs,drink,gambling,sex addiction........you name it.

There are lots of lost folks like you out there.  Don't worry about it too much because there is room for everyone in His kingdom.  Fortunately we live in a country that still identifies as 75% Christian.  There may or may not be other cures for drug addiction but many folks have found that this one really does work.   

This is a real problem in our society today, it spans all races, religions, wealth and shows no stopping anytime soon.  Real easy to say they choose this life but the reality is not that simple.  When the oxycodone stops coming in from the doctors the other choice is much cheaper but as we see it is destroying our youth.  Prom queens, wrestling captains, football players, cheerleaders, honor roll students, it is not just bad kids doing this and is such a hard thing for them to give up when it is so available.  

The war on drugs has failed miserably, we need to have a solution to save these kids and stop the destruction of American families.   Any ideas?  I think education would help but I think we really need some of these recovering addicts to perform at schools telling others what they did and how bad it can get to try and stop that first time use that usually gets the kids hooked.  It really needs to be drilled into them that this is not a drug to "try out" as the implication usually lead to a life of pain and suffering for them and the families they destroy.  

This epidemic has spread to every corner of society, we really need to go after this issue!  Those needles keep killing our youth over and over yet I don't see the politicians helping in any way.  We need better solution than 3 strikes your out.  Real easy to say that until someone in your family or close friends becomes hooked.  

Solutions?  What do you think would help???

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vinny Tagalucci said:

I have zero sympathy for a drug addict.

Unless a person has the brain capacity of a squirrel they know the repurcussions from using drugs including pain pills and the like.

Do you have any kids?

40 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

This is a real problem in our society today, it spans all races, religions, wealth and shows no stopping anytime soon.  Real easy to say they choose this life but the reality is not that simple.  When the oxycodone stops coming in from the doctors the other choice is much cheaper but as we see it is destroying our youth.  Prom queens, wrestling captains, football players, cheerleaders, honor roll students, it is not just bad kids doing this and is such a hard thing for them to give up when it is so available.  

The war on drugs has failed miserably, we need to have a solution to save these kids and stop the destruction of American families.   Any ideas?  I think education would help but I think we really need some of these recovering addicts to perform at schools telling others what they did and how bad it can get to try and stop that first time use that usually gets the kids hooked.  It really needs to be drilled into them that this is not a drug to "try out" as the implication usually lead to a life of pain and suffering for them and the families they destroy.  

This epidemic has spread to every corner of society, we really need to go after this issue!  Those needles keep killing our youth over and over yet I don't see the politicians helping in any way.  We need better solution than 3 strikes your out.  Real easy to say that until someone in your family or close friends becomes hooked.  

Solutions?  What do you think would help???

I have been through watching someone I cared deeply for struggle with this crap.

3 strikes and your on your own sounds cruel, but why should I have to pay for someone's addiction. Because that's pretty much all narcan does, saves there ass until they can get ahold of there next dose. 

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I don't doubt the Bible has saved people from addiction...as a matter of fact I know it has, but I think it's more a case of replacing one addiction with another. I've seen it work with other healthier options as well...and if it works it doesn't matter what someone chose to utilize to get off drugs or alcohol, all that matters is that they did.

• Like 2

How about compassion for your fellow brothers and sisters, don't they deserve another chance at life.  So what  you paid to help save them.  I think if it was your kid or best friends kids you might want to help them.  Real easy to say they choose this life yet many had this brought upon them from doctor prescribed medication.  

This has not affected me personally yet I see and hear it often enough to know it is an epidemic and hits all families not just city or urban area, this is in rural area's all over the country and is a big issue.  

We need to go after this issue in the schools and teach and show kids pictures of how bad the reality of these drugs destroys the lives of the addict and the family unit involved. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

How about compassion for your fellow brothers and sisters, don't they deserve another chance at life.  So what  you paid to help save them.  I think if it was your kid or best friends kids you might want to help them.  Real easy to say they choose this life yet many had this brought upon them from doctor prescribed medication.  

This has not affected me personally yet I see and hear it often enough to know it is an epidemic and hits all families not just city or urban area, this is in rural area's all over the country and is a big issue.  

We need to go after this issue in the schools and teach and show kids pictures of how bad the reality of these drugs destroys the lives of the addict and the family unit involved. 

yeah, I'll never understand the person who sticks a needle in his or her arm just for fun, it's beyond my comprehension to figure out at what point a person finds this to be a good idea knowing how bad it is....but there is no doubt the over prescribing of pain medication is a huge culprit, that and botched surgeries that have left people unable to even function without pain relief. I've pretty much seen it all, some almost understandable and others just leave you shaking your head in disbelief. 

46 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

I get what your saying, but when do we stop? Do we keep saving someone who doesn't want to be saved? 

Use that money to help our military personnel deal with PTSD. Or help the elderly pay for their meds so they don't have to skip a dose. 

Someone who keeps going into rehab, only to go back to the needle time after time doesn't deserve to be saved over and over.  Somewhere,  the line has to be drawn, where that line ends up, know one knows. However, giving narcan out to every overdose isn't working. 

• Like 1

In the past 20 years ,I can count a dozen people that I was on a first name basis with that died from an OD. Part of me feels that they are a drain on our resources ,part of me knows that once that crap takes over your brain,you arnt the same person anymore (mentally) . It makes a good person do horrible things to people they ordinarily wouldn't do. I had some really close friends go down the pain killer path and after awhile of thinking there was something I could do or say to make them snap out of it ,I just let them go . Addicts typically only see the light of day once they hit rock bottom , not many people choose to get help on a good day.