He finally shows!!!

In lue of the "Psychology of trophy bucks" thread and for obvious reasons, I've decided to keep my trail cam pics to myself this year only sharing them with a few trusted hunting buddies.  But, I was very happy this morning to see that my #1 buck finally made an appearance on his way back to bed yesterday morning. I've seen him several times out here over the past couple of weeks through binos but had yet to get a quality photo of him. I call this buck "Wannabe", he is six years old and I've been watching him since he was a yearling 8pt. back in the summer of 2012.  It's been really fascinating watching him mature over the past 6 years, something that I will probably never repeat. To make it through six deer seasons in this area with the heavy hunting pressure / very little "deer management" is truely unbelievable. I can't wait to see what the next several weeks will bring.  He's got some buddies that aren't too shabby either. It's looking to be a great season here in Steuben County!!!

IMAG0635 (2).JPG

IMAG0634 (2).JPG

• Like 19

Hes looking great this year! I feel like such a slacker, I dont even have my cams out yet this year. Ive usually checked them 2 or 3 times by now lol. Mine will be out starting tomorrow, gotta start keeping tabs on the 5 year old buck Ive been chasing for a few years now. I keep the pics of most mature bucks in my area private until they have been killed, very few see them before that.

• Like 1

Wow! What a buck! To have that kind of history with a buck like that is simply awesome!

I too keep any,.........if I get any at all........"wink," cam picks, very close to the vest. As our main property borders state land. Ya just never know who may be checking this forum. And why " temp" someone into being a trespasser! Not that we have booners running around here anyways. But some people think the grass is so much sweeter on the other side of the posted sign!

7 minutes ago, growalot said:

That is a hell of a 7pt...That's what we would call a coke can buck......There's definitely something going on in your soils down that way...I know from your posts your cams are in a few areas...Good Luck this season

I'm anticipating that he'll end up with a 5x4 frame, similar to last year but opposite...

IMAG0751.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Wow! What a buck! To have that kind of history with a buck like that is simply awesome!

I too keep any,.........if I get any at all........"wink," cam picks, very close to the vest. As our main property borders state land. Ya just never know who may be checking this forum. And why "tempt" someone into being a trespasser! Not that we have booners running around here anyways. Not even close. But some people think the grass is so much sweeter on the other side of the posted sign!

Edited by grampy

I always enjoy your posts and pics...We are in another young buck doe/ fawn year...no complaints. Though it means I won't have any nice buck pics and what ever happens this fall will be, hopefully, fun surprises.  All the soybeans are a couple of miles away this year...and the farmer is having his pea field hand picked so I'm pretty sure I know exactly where those bachelor groups are right now.

He is a stud... Get em !!! Also in leu of the "psych" post, im sure you have enjoyed the years of hunting him more than the steaks you would have got when he was a youngin !! I know the feeling of catching that old elusive guy that's haunted you for years and I hope you get to experience it too, like this Oct !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Not the greatest pic, but...Wannabe makes another first light appearance headed back to bed. Tried some editing to improve pics quality a bit.

July 19th:

IMAG0872 (3).JPG

Pretty cool...17 days of growth.  He usually pours on the tine/beam length from now til around August 10th.

IMAG0635 (2).JPG

• Like 4