Interesting Range Recovery

Doing some work on a 458 Win Mag for a hunt I am planning, so today I was taking a few shots.

Bullet is a 500gr Hornady DG Solid. (Thats a lead core/steel jacket,copper guild bullet)

I'm shooting open sights and my initial target at 50 yds is 3 pressure treated 2x8 nailed together from a deck tear out, and my regular log backstop behind. After drilling a hole in the 2x, I went to check 100 yd backstop for hits. 

Empty case is entrance hole; Loaded case at the exit down inside the stack.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Glint of something in the sun caught my eye, looked down and not 3 feet away, the bullet laying on the leaves. Looks good enough for a reload.

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

• Like 4

Now that is cool! One hefty chunk of bullet too. But curious, if you would want more expansion, for the size of the game intended for that round? I know next to nothing when it comes to big bore rifles or shooting anything larger than a deer. So looking to learn something from you....again.

30 minutes ago, grampy said:

Now that is cool! One hefty chunk of bullet too. But curious, if you would want more expansion, for the size of the game intended for that round? I know next to nothing when it comes to big bore rifles or shooting anything larger than a deer. So looking to learn something from you....again.

Looks like he wants to go on an African dangerous game hunt, so they don't really want the bullet to expand. They want deep penetration and near 100 percent weight retention. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Looks like he wants to go on an African dangerous game hunt, so they don't really want the bullet to expand. They want deep penetration and near 100 percent weight retention. 

:drinks:

Couldn't say it better.

Interesting enough another application is the tiny antelope. No expansion means saving the cape by having one hole in and out.

• Like 4

:drinks:
Couldn't say it better.
Interesting enough another application is the tiny antelope. No expansion means saving the cape by having one hole in and out.

I heard people would do that with fur bearing species as well. Use a caliber above 375 and use solids, that way it's only one small hole in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Perfect bullet performance for what you plan to use it for...You cold load that sucker and use it again...

casings look like Lapua, or perhaps Norma...

Annealed Norma on these and I have some Hornady to try. Non compressed load a2230 powder.

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

get rid of the round nose and put a big wide flat meplat on that bullet and your hole would have  been the size of a orange.

These have a meplat, but not a wide one.

Woodleighs are full round nose that are also being tried. I have had the chance to shoot Woodleigh solids at heavy game and the results were most impressive (300 gr 375H&H); so I am comparing the two at the moment. 

I have 5 dummy load North Fork flat nose solids here, about as big of a meplat as one can get, and have a small feed issue with them that can't be happening with this rifle. They get excellent reviews so we'll will see about maybe sending this off for feed work, but going to try a stiffer follower spring first as this one seems very soft.

Overall fun project rifle; played a bit adjusting trigger today and that is much improved, pretty sure I have decided a RMR type sight is going on the front ring, crappy beater stock is coming to make a pattern and have a new one turned (palm swell, shorter rounder forearm, a little more length of pull, and some more drop at the heal, two crossbolts, reinforced wrist)

Only problem now is my time table may have been accelerated and may have to fall back on a different rifle for hunt. But that leaves this one for next time.^_^

• Like 1

Hmmm, maybe a phone call tomorrow night is in order. Last we talked there were two or three scenarios you were pondering.  

I could probably get my buddies 458 Win Mag Model 70 for you as a backup.  Purty sure it has iron sights but maybe not.  It's never been shot........

Excited for you Dan!!

• Like 2

Once upon a time I owned a Ruger 77 458 Winchester Mag just because I wanted to play around with one. I never killed a thing with it but I handloaded for it and shot it a lot and while it was punishing to shoot me and some of my shooting buddies had a lot of fun touching the big gal off. If shot without flinching that Ruger 77 printed some amazing 100 yard groups, I would use a half full 25 pound bag of lead shot on my shoulder to buffer the recoil when testing out different handloads.

Never shot any solids all my loads were soft points, all bullets I used grouped well but I liked the Speer 400 gr which is shown in the loaded shell best, the other bullets from left to right are the 500 gr Hornady sp, and 400 and 350 gr Barnes copper jacket pointed soft points. The Barnes bullets were fired one at a time because they had no crimping cannelure and would creep forward in the case from recoil while in the magazine. IMR 3031 powder worked great for both accuracy and velocity.

Al

002.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Dinsdale's hunting velociraptors...

For a T-Rex he'd need at least a 20 MM.......

Now, I'm going to be a nerd that ruins the joke for every one.  Velociraptors were played up in the movies.  Real velociraptor fossils shows that they were roughly the size of modern day turkeys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Now, I'm going to be a nerd that ruins the joke for every one.  Velociraptors were played up in the movies.  Real velociraptor fossils shows that they were roughly the size of modern day turkeys.

But the  Dilophosaurus  would be more on point. I think they made that one a lot smaller than it would have been in the movie.  If you guys are ever out in Connecticut and  can swing by the dinosaur museum, it is worth it. I actually had a building delayed becasue of the foot prints in the rock we exposed. Was pretty cool to talk to the Paleontologists. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:
But the  Dilophosaurus  would be more on point. I think they made that one a lot smaller than it would have been in the movie.  If you guys are ever out in Connecticut and  can swing by the dinosaur museum, it is worth it. I actually had a building delayed becasue of the foot prints in the rock we exposed. Was pretty cool to talk to the Paleontologists. 

Will check it out. My boy loves dinosaurs. I had to learn more about him just to keep up with him and he's not even 4 years old.

0a659c98138e4d1cb28dd643c99ad288.jpg

This is him at the dinosaur field station in NJ in front of the aforementioned Dilophosaurus.

LNMS3586[1].JPG

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Will check it out. My boy loves dinosaurs. I had to learn more about him just to keep up with him and he's not even 4 years old.

0a659c98138e4d1cb28dd643c99ad288.jpg

This is him at the dinosaur field station in NJ in front of the aforementioned Dilophosaurus.

FYI

http://www.dinosaurstatepark.org/

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Cool stuff. So what's the next target species?

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Curious on target too.  But I understand if you prefer not to post it.

No issue with me.....although I expect a fair number of folks won't get it.

I'm after an Elephant hunt. Its #1 on my bucket list.

Thats the reason for interest in solid bullets that don't expand; penetration is the name of the game.

Happen to get info in the past week on both a discounted left over management quota and a cancellation hunt. I had planned to tweek a rifle this summer and book something for next year; but I may be able to catch a very good price for a hunt this October in one of the premier concessions with a top outfitter. Waiting to hear on possible dates and availability; often return clients get first dibs on these and just need to see if we can shake something out.

• Like 2