Installing Transducer on Boat

moog5050

you using it in saltwater or fresh and yes you can use it.also,  silicone that is used for fishtanks can be used. in the beginning they wont leak but cheaper ones will break down and leak  eventually especially in salt water.what happens with the cheap ones not rated marine or for fishtanks they become crumbly if you ever removed old caulk you know what i mean

Thanks for the advice.  Our boat sits in water all season and for below waterline, I keep reading 3m 4200 or 5200.  I read silicone won't hold up.  But not really sure as I didn't install the transducer originally.  That said, the stuff he used is not silicone.  Looks white and pretty strong. Can't peel it off.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

you using it in saltwater or fresh and yes you can use it.also,  silicone that is used for fishtanks can be used. in the beginning they wont leak but cheaper ones will break down and leak  eventually especially in salt water.what happens with the cheap ones not rated marine or for fishtanks they become crumbly if you ever removed old caulk you know what i mean

Fresh water

the 3200 will work fine. I always put some on the transducer bracket where it will contact the transom and also in the screw hole and around the screw in the screw slot of the transducer bracket.

you can put a plastic mounting plate ( same material as the white plastic cutting boards)  3200 that and screw it to the transom to mount all your transducers to that with shorter screws. 

If the old transducer screws are loose you will need to step up in size or fill the old holes with epoxy resin and let it set up then redrill the holes  or move the bracket and remount in a new location.

Thanks guys.  I used one size larger screw and life-Calk as per recommendation of west marine.  All seems good. 2 part epoxied hairline crack on top of transducer. I like the idea of a plate, but didn't want to make the job more complex than need be. Used the same holes. Now I just need some of those zip ties with a screw hole to secure the cables again.  Ordered some from Amazon.  Should be here Tuesday. Then boat goes in, finally.   Lol