Big Woods Summer plans.....

sailinghudson25

This year I've got additional land from the neighboring farmer. There was an old logging road going through it and we got permission to open it back up so now we have easy access to the whole thing. We did all that work a few weeks back and now this past weekend we got a few stands up and a couple others moved. Also moved some cameras around too.

aca0fe70e9d6f62321e55fc9b54ed334.jpg
f8f55ef9d7aca4ef24d8a8e1ff94f4b3.jpg
603f14aeecaf23d75e1e150bfbc66924.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 3:15 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

What you guys have lined up or have done?

Been way too long since I've been up on my lease in Big Moose.   got some cameras to check up there.   also got to move a tree stand for my girlfriends spots.

Was just up that way last week while on vacation doing some fishing.  Hiked up to the fire tower on Bald Mountain and had an awesome burger at Duffy's.  Saw several deer in the area along with two mangy looking coyote.

Same thing I do every year wait until late October. I don't use stands or use cameras up at camp. I was up there last week and drank a bunch of beer and did a little work on camp. We started to build our new "meat pole" because my buck last year destroyed our old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

i've been scouting a few swamps on google earth set up two cams on a finger going into a swamp.i found a line of three swamps spreading about three miles with land cuts in between.i'm going to hunt around that one this fall.this season can't get here fast enough.

My ADK hunting is a bit better and a bit worse than others.

I'm on timber company leased land.  IT's better than the deep woods due to logging, but has hunting pressure, and it's always the same 800 acres.....  But I can ride ATV's and get to sleep in an insulated cabin with a woodstove every night.

My ADK hunting is a bit better and a bit worse than others.

I'm on timber company leased land.  IT's better than the deep woods due to logging, but has hunting pressure, and it's always the same 800 acres.....  But I can ride ATV's and get to sleep in an insulated cabin with a woodstove every night.

We are also on a paper company lease but we can't ride wheelers thank god! And we are the last camp on the log rode and a half a mile from state land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any "big woods" land i hunt up north is public land and i can't take a utv or atv in there to get all the way too it.  not walking miles in to scout for what may or may not be there come hunting season either.  my big woods hunting is limited anyway.  if i won the lottery.... see you around the beginning of December.

My plans are to spend any free time that I get up there this summer, and early fall, out on or in the lake and NOT in the woods.  That will apply until after we get a few good hard frosts.  The reason for that is: I am scared of ticks and the Lyme disease that they carry.  I picked over a hundred of them off from a buck that I killed up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park last Thanksgiving weekend.  After the last "global warming"  non-winter that we just had, they are bound to be even worse this year.   Fortunately, those ticks are easy to catch and kill and not very active when it get's cold.  

Spring turkey hunters, summer deer scouters, hikers and bird-watchers should take adequate precautions however.  As for me, I would much prefer spending my time fishing or swimming (I don't think ticks can swim).  That beats the heck out of dousing myself and/or my clothes with chemicals and heading into the woods.   

Now that my in-laws have moved up there, I should never again need to bring a tick-infested deer carcass home to process.   I found a place up there, about a 40 minute drive from their house, that will skin them, hang them in a cooler for 7 to 10 days, cut them up, and freezer wrap for just $45.  They did an excellent job of trimming the fat from a doe that I dropped off during the early ML season up there last year.   I was able to wait for that one, because I killed it early on a 10 day hunt.  No such luck on the buck however, killed on the second last day of my hunt.  Usually I process my own (I am very fussy about temperature control and trimming the fat), but $ 45 is well worth it for me, just for not having to worry about bringing the ticks home.