Scope Suggestions Please

Need some help on a new scope for my .25-06.

Very tight budget, so looking for a decent scope at or under the $100 mark. I know that's not much for good glass, but that's my budget after putting a new roof on the home.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I second that option... spend the extra 50. Was in the same boat as you in my younger days.... What I spent on cheap scopesI could have bought a Leopold. About 12 years ago I bought my first 2x7 Nikon for a NE 45-70. paid more for the glass then I did the gun... Its still on it, still hold zero, and I have 3 more of them on different guns... Well worth the purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That 25-06 is a real nice gun. Give it what it deserves, a scope that will absolutely hold zero, and is nice and clear to look through. For a few bucks more saved up, the Prostaff will not disappoint you. My buddy has them on almost all his guns and has never had a problem. I'm a Leupold guy. And the VX-1 is an excellent scope, that can be picked up on sale at around $160. And will give you many, many years of of flawless service. Especially with rifle scopes, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' rings clear and true.

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Vortex-Crossfire-II-3-9x40---V-Plex-%23CF2-31005-(Demo-Unit)-vortex&catalog[product_guids][0]=1279792

The last demo unit I got form them was in factory original packaging. never opened. Lifetime warranty

I have 3 of this unit and love it for the price point. 

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

If I were you, I'd hit the S.W.F.A. site and go through the sample list. They offer trade-ins, demos, blems, etc at reasonable prices. 

Cameraland on Long Island also offers demos that can be a very good buy.

Don't sell good glass very often, but sell the rifles out from underneath them; good investment and I just move them to the next one.

Skip the beer for a few weeks and there's $50 extra that would otherwise just be pissed away.

• Like 1

yup you still have time.  save up some extra coin and get a better scope.  good suggestions on here.  i've got multiple model Nikons, a Bushnell Elite 3200, and have been impressed with Vortex optics too.  When you do mount it, do it right with good bases and rings.  use blue loctite on screws, torque driver to tighten screws equally to spec, scope rings straight, touch up the rings by lapping for contact, and use a bubble to get the scope level with the bore and action.  you probably don't have the means to do this, but whomever mounts your scope should be.  if you run into trouble let me know. i think we're relatively close if i recall.

It's July, you have 3 more months until you need the gun. 10$ a week set aside plus you 100$ and you have a ton of options and are getting a WAY better scope in the 175-200$ range. My suggestion is a leupold Vx-1 or redfield both have life time warranties. Even in that price range I wouldn't go higher than 7X, cheap glass and high magnification is a recipe for disappointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Rob check out rifle scopes on ebay, I have saved some serious money on nice used high end name brand scopes like Leupold, Burris and Redfield.

Al

This is a great suggestion, I too have been doing this as well as buying from some message board classifieds.  As long as you stick with quality companies like leupold and the likes they will warranty their product no matter what so there is really no chance in loosing.  You can buy for less than half price with this method, and beat the taxes as well so you save an additional 8%.

I bought two nikons last year. I don't want to spend lots of money on a scope, but cheap scopes are not any good except as a paper weight. Frustrating, waste of money on ammo, likely to lose zero, fog up, etc. it's just not worth it. Walmart is full of sub $100 scopes and I think they are a waste of time.

Sometimes you can see deals on the nikon scopes on amazon for as little as $99. They have a lifetime warranty I think, too.

I have 4 Leupold scopes...Every one was bought used, but in excellent condition..

The lowest I paid for one was  $100 for a 1x4x20  VX I..The most expensive was for a fixed 6 X 36, which I paid $160 for in used but like new condition..  I never had a minute's trouble with any of them, but if I do I can send them to Leupold and get them fixed or replaced for nothing....I think I may have bought the 6 power from someone on this forum..Can't remember...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have 4 Leupold scopes...Every one was bought used, but in excellent condition..

The lowest I paid for one was  $100 for a 1x4x20  VX I..The most expensive was for a fixed 6 X 36, which I paid $160 for in used but like new condition..  I never had a minute's trouble with any of them, but if I do I can send them to Leupold and get them fixed or replaced for nothing....I think I may have bought the 6 power from someone on this forum..Can't remember...

But you can't go by Pygmy's results. He only buys the ones with no moving parts...lol

• Like 2

Have a couple months, but wanted to get some insight. Thank you to all who have replied. Will take a look at the Nikon. Also found a couple sites offering the Bushnell Trophy Hunter I have on my 7mm-08 reduced to $130. Like that scope. Been on the 08 for a few years now and zero is there.
The other reason for a new scope is the rings. Currently, the bolt hits the scope. Never liked that since I bought the .25-06 just over a year ago.
Again, thanks for the feedback
It's much appreciated.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I bought the 120$ nikon 3-9x40 buckmaster from walmart for my 7mm 08. So far its been great and you cant beat walmart return policy lol. 

WalMart's return policy is awesome . I was able to return my mother in law and I didn't even have a cash register receipt . They will take back anything . 

• Like 1