Looking fir

apoallo

Information on trapping. I have an interest in trapping , but have never done it. I purchased a few traps originally for wall decor but want to use them also. Anyone j ow of a good place to start learning? I would like to preserve the hide myself in the most inexpensive way possible. Anyone have any tips or tricks on preserving a hide in a cheap way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fur fish n game will give you some basics. Take a gander over on trapperman.com.
Need to take the trapping education course You'll learn some there. What intended targets do you have in mind ? There are tanning kits you can buy . stretchers will be needed too. You can make wooden stretchers ( search YouTube ) or buy wire stretchers.

Off the bat, squirrels . Fox raccoon skunk. I'm looking to do this to keep the fur for myself. Easy targets at first and maybe I'll work up the food chain. In The future. plus I have a small feral cat problem. A neighbor 4 houses down traps feral cats gets them spayed/neutered then lets them live with her and they come and piss around my house stinking up the place. I e got trail cam pics of them at night only. But trapping mainly for wild legal animals the cats are a bonus to get rid of

Of of Wednesday I'll have 2 body grip traps one 4.5 " single spring and a 7-8 " body grip double spring. One 4" jaw leg trap and 4 small snare 4 medium snare and 4 large diameter snare traps

Go to the NYS trapping show in herkimer NY at the fair grounds it's a great show lots of vendors and also hosts a trapping class(May be spots left idk). Demos on trap setting also worth going 100 percent I go every year

As far as trapping goes really need to figure out what and where you want to catch. So can better point you toward the right gear.

As far as preserving the hide just send it out it's relatively cheap and will last forever. The at home kits work I guess but never had any experience with them myself.

Youtube is your friend on how to set traps for each species and also how to skin and flesh and dry properly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting into trapping this year but I have one word to answer your question (from a layman's point of view anyway): YOUTUBE.

Has helped me in so many ways.

For trapping I follow Andrew Stanley in Canada who actually has a television show there but the youtube channel is his own and he takes you on an adventure with him every year: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWildNorth/videos

Recently I started watching this guy from PA too: https://www.youtube.com/user/outdoorinsights/videos He makes an actual television show and puts it On his channel. I just go back in time and start with the first episode and have worked my way up.

Then I do searches for stuff like "Bark Tanning" for instance, just for fun. Now what does this do? It lets you uncover specific people (channels) you can then follow in the future. Meaning, once you find a specific video you like...you can then assume you'll like the guy so you just "subscribe" to his channel and then it will be in your "Subscriptions" list on the left side of the screen (and maybe notify you but you can turn that off). For example, my hero, Dave Canterbury: https://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters/videos

Edited by NYHuntFish