I have a SimmonS Pro Hunter scope on my Remington 1100 its 15 years old ? last year it seems its life has come to an end,, I found myself missing deer at close range and what I would call chip shots.. Although I shot it at my camp to reasure myself last deer season, I took out my 870 and flatenend a deer at 80 yards off hand twice in the breadbasket,,, not to pat myself on the back but I rarely ever miss.. 

Anyway I have zero confidence in the Simmons and will not hunt with it another season,,, I was going to buy another one Simmons as I was always pleased with it but started looking at Nikon and the Leupold VX -1 I want another 3 x 9 and wanted your opinions,,, I looking to spend about $250.00

TIA any input welcome  

If you really think it's a fault in the scope rather than the rings/bases, make a call to Simmons and explain the issue.

A buddy of mine recently bought a well-used gun with a Simmons scope that wouldn't hold zero for crap. I checked the mounts and they were fine. Simmons had him ship it to them at their expense and sent him a brand new one. Scope manufacturers have their feet to the fire when it comes to customer service. It's a very crowded industry, and they want your business. It's worth the phone call. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, philoshop said:

If you really think it's a fault in the scope rather than the rings/bases, make a call to Simmons and explain the issue.

A buddy of mine recently bought a well-used gun with a Simmons scope that wouldn't hold zero for crap. I checked the mounts and they were fine. Simmons had him ship it to them at their expense and sent him a brand new one. Scope manufacturers have their feet to the fire when it comes to customer service. It's a very crowded industry, and they want your business. It's worth the phone call. Just my two cents.

Its definitely not the rings or base and thats a great idea, I will give Simmons a call and see how I make out,, will report back ..

• Like 1

Vortex hands down. The Crossfire 2 3-9x40 comes in at $199 retail, and you can usually find a bit better price on them at cameralandny.com or ebay. I just picked up 2 of them for my daughter and I to use on our Muzzleloaders. Great glass at a great price with one of the best warranties on the planet. You wouldnt regret it, believe me. I have seen a bunch of guys take the leap to Vortex after letting them shoot mine.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Vortex hands down. The Crossfire 2 3-9x40 comes in at $199 retail, and you can usually find a bit better price on them at cameralandny.com or ebay. I just picked up 2 of them for my daughter and I to use on our Muzzleloaders. Great glass at a great price with one of the best warranties on the planet. You wouldnt regret it, believe me. I have seen a bunch of guys take the leap to Vortex after letting them shoot mine.

demo unit for 130

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Vortex-Crossfire-II-3-9x40---V-Plex-%23CF2-31005-(Demo-Unit)-Crossfire-II&catalog[product_guids][0]=1279792

Lat demo I bought off them was in factory packaging and had never been opened. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Same here, it was my Viper HS that I run on my 308. It has been flawless.

Bowshotmuzzleloader, look at some of the deals they have, you may be able to step up into a Viper series scope for not much more than you are looking to spend. The Viper line is some of the best glass I have ever used. Also, dont shy away from used ones, the lifetime warranty is fully transferable. Even if you bought one that had a problem, you just send it to them and they will ship a brand new one to you.

• Like 1

At the 250 price point you can get into some solid glass. With that budget there is nikon, vortex, and you are in the range of fixed power leopulds (how often do you actually change the setting on your variable?) By the best scope you can... Nothing worse then dead glass in the field.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IMG_0428.PNG
IMG_0429.PNG
IMG_0430.PNG

Glass is ok, it's a scope you will have for ever because leupold a warranty is 2nd to none. For a 150$ scope I don't think you will do better.

The problem with scopes is that it's easy to say save until you have another 100$ and get this its way better although it's true where do you stop. If I could only spend 150$ on a scope it would be a VX1 but in 2-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you or anyone explain why you would prefer the 2 x 7 over the 3 x 9 ? I have a 1.75 x 4 on one of my muzzleloaders and Its one scope I wish I never bought ..

Im not that versed in scopes other than the 1.75 x 4 all I have ever owned is 3 x 9,,, when I bought the 1.75 x 4 for my muzzleloader he asked me how far to do you shoot and I said 100 yards,,, this was 15 + years ago and he said youre going to love this scope,, boy was he wrong,, Ive disliked it since the get go..  I use my scope to size up deer and watch them before they come into range or are out of range so I like the high variable ? 

Thats all personal prefferance... What your use to. Where I hunt if you get a shot over 75 yards your threading trees, so my 2x7 get left on the low end for a bogger fov. A good hunting buddy of mine hunts the same ground and uses a 4x12 usually turned up. So its what ever you like.

I like to keep a gun as light and compact as possible. I have shot deer at over 300yds and I have never shot a deer with a scope turned higher than 3x. I don't think I have ever turned a scope higher than 3x in the woods. If a buck doesn't have horns big enough for me to see with 3x magnification I'm not going to shoot it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2017 at 0:09 PM, tuckersdaddy said:

At the 250 price point you can get into some solid glass. With that budget there is nikon, vortex, and you are in the range of fixed power leopulds (how often do you actually change the setting on your variable?) By the best scope you can... Nothing worse then dead glass in the field.

For about $20 more you can get a VX-II 3-9X40 and it is made in the USA unlike the Chinese Vortex. Nikon, if it is made in Japan, would be another good choice. I would never consider Vortex as other manufactures have similar features and optics without the Chinese crap shoot.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1