All this is kind of a moot point as many people don't even know how wind effects a brick being throw through the air. Let alone a slug or bullet traveling out past 200 yards. BDC or similar reticle does work for doping elevation. I've used them. Says right in my Nikon owners manual to basically shoot and see what each bubble is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

All that is true, but with shotguns, the variables of MV will be even more critical. In the hands of a knowledgeable shooter that has run his load across a chronograph it would be a valuable tool. Problem is, is the hands of the typical "Bubba" that buys the scope a week before season, runs out to the 100 yd range using the supplied "charts" with factory Mv data and sights in without verifying at longer ranges, it is a recipe for wounded game.

I think if this guy with a shotgun sights in dead on at 100 yards with a normal duplex style scope he doesn't need to worry about any fancy charts or math.  He'll kill any deer walking from 0-150 yards if he does his part in holding the gun steady.  If he takes shots from 150-200 yards all he needs is a bit of holdover.  I don't think you need BDC reticles or fancy trajectory charts to put down deer within normal shooting ranges.  It's all overthinking in my honest opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I think if this guy with a shotgun sights in dead on at 100 yards with a normal duplex style scope he doesn't need to worry about any fancy charts or math.  He'll kill any deer walking from 0-150 yards if he does his part in holding the gun steady.  If he takes shots from 150-200 yards all he needs is a bit of holdover.  I don't think you need BDC reticles or fancy trajectory charts to put down deer within normal shooting ranges.  It's all overthinking in my honest opinion.

It would be interesting (to  me at least) to know some BC and MV data for some common shotgun loads, including the old reliable "Foster slugs", just to see what the + or - 3" MPBR ;potential would be. I'm thinking 3" high at 100yds zero would be close to optimum. Maybe the 3" apex would be at some shorter yardage.

Does anyone have that data?

Edited by wildcat junkie