Ever had a run-in while hunting?

uberyan

There was a thread on the archery forum where members were posting what sidearm they'd be taking into the woods with them come bow season.

Reasons for carrying varied depending on the area, some places mentioned drug addicts, others wild dogs etc.

Now obviously in NY we don't have the option regardless, but just curious to see if anyone had any instances where a sidearm of some sort would've been beneficial. 

My opinion is it'd be a nice to have when you are not on the move and occupied with something like gutting or field dressing.

I've bumped into a homeless person in the woods once.  They just gave me a friendly wave and scurried away as if embarrassed.

Came across another homeless person's tent at another location but no one was "home".

Ran across a devil's pentagon made out of twigs laid out in the woods also.  Didn't see anyone around and most likely done by some kids as a prank.  It was gun season so I had my firearm with me.

That said, during archery season and/or in bow only areas, you're not allowed to carry while bow hunting.

I hunted public land in MS where an archer could legally carry. I thought about it but never did it. It was extra "stuff" and bulk I felt I didn't need to add to my climber, bow and pack combo.

I think most folks know a hunter is armed with at least a knife and if I see you coming I can't knock an arrow. If I don't see you coming my pistol isn't going to help.

Plus who carries a wallet in the woods? Lol

I have had a not-so-comfortable confrontation with a pretty good sized, scruffy, menacing dog. A lot of raised hair and bared teeth and growling and all I had was my bow. I'm not sure how good you people are at getting off a killing shot at any charging animal, but I knew the odds would not really be too great at stopping a charging "anything" with an arrow in a split second. Fortunately, I didn't have to face that test because after a minute or two of standing my ground (seemed like an hour ..... lol) he turned and ran off. I suppose I would have felt a whole lot safer if I had had a pistol aimed at him. But it all worked out ok without one.

Another scenario that I have NOT encountered yet, is an escalated situation with trespassers. I have had several encounters where I have told people to leave, and fortunately I haven't run across any wackos......yet. But again, a bow is not a defensive weapon, should that situation ever arise and escalate into violence. Yes if it did happen, I would hope I would have the option of contacting authorities and letting them handle it. But I suppose nothing ever says that you will always have that chance, depending on what kind of nut-case you run might run into.

• Like 1

Coyotes, lease owner hates them and he trys to get me to take his rifle out with me when i show up during bow.  

2nd i had something with alot of attitude circling my tree before daylight growling at me couldnt get it to run off even trying to use my light to scare it. Would of been a little more comfortable if i had something with some knock down power

I can think of 3 occasions I wish I had a fire arm with me. First was a very early Morning that my cousin and I were backed back into his truck by a group of coyotes in a very thick and tight cedar swamp. They were close. Second was a run in with a very aggressive German Shepard. luckily I made my stand ladder before he got to me. The third was on a property I hunt only a couple times during NZ ML and early rifle. I came across 3 patches of pot planted in the woods. plastic mesh to keep the animals away, miracle grow packages and watering buckets. Kind of felt naked standing there around a grow operation and no gun. Luckily it had been harvested within the week prior. (so the State Police told me when they came in response to my call)

So far it sounds like being able to carry while bow hunting would be beneficial for one's ability to self-preserve. 

Is there any specific reason/logic cited as to why it's not allowed in NY or is it just another one of those stupid NY laws?

Considering how difficult/annoying it is to even get a pistol (legally), you'd think they'd let you use it where needed.

As mentioned it is for some reason illegal to carry while bowhunting, even though another person in the same woods on the same day could carry if he were not bowhunting.

I never see anything and never hear coyotes where I am.

I have seen several mountain lions in person while hunting in NY but they never come close enough to worry about ;)

7 minutes ago, uberyan said:

Is there any specific reason/logic cited as to why it's not allowed in NY or is it just another one of those stupid NY laws?

Hmm, my vote goes for another stupid NY law and I'd be surprised if even one person in the thread posits a counter argument, though I'm sure some legislator at some point was worried that somebody bow hunting would use the bow as a facade and actually the guy meant to hunt deer with his .380 micro.

• Like 3

True story from many years ago , a friend and I were bow hunting on  private hunting club land way in the woods. we hunted all morning from first light till late in the afternoon, I was just getting down from my tree when I hard a few shot go off about 100 yds. away in the area my partner was. No cell phones back then. So I slowley walked to where he was. and saw 7 mangey looking dogs .lieing on the ground scattered all around ,5 with arrows in them and 2 others lieing there with holes in them. They had him treed and would not scare away even after a few were hit with broad heads. There were 9 of them in total. He was a avid hunter and a goo shot. His 22 did its job.His clothes must have had the scent of the buck he gutted earlier in the morning. We found out the next day there were large packs of wild dogs running around the area for some time killing every thing they could for food. Its a shame he died of cancer 2 years later. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uberyan said:

So far it sounds like being able to carry while bow hunting would be beneficial for one's ability to self-preserve. 

Considering how difficult/annoying it is to even get a pistol (legally), you'd think they'd let you use it where needed.

Try to explain to the DEC officer that you weren't trying to poach a deer with it.

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Try to explain to the DEC officer that you weren't trying to poach a deer with it.

I get why THEY think that but let's be honest. if you can legally carry a pistol you can have it loaded in the car with you on your way to hunting and on your way home. Since you can't hunt from a vehicle I guess you could make a case that sitting in you car and having lunch in the middle of a bow hunt isn't hunting so you could have it then. You can't carry it in the stand in the morning if you have your bow with you but if you leave your bow in the car in the afternoon you can climb into the same stand for the afternoon and have it on you then. All this and having it make you more likely to become a poacher?  That is NY liberal logic. 

• Like 4

I'm a handgun guy, but I gotta say I group better at 30 yards with my bow then any of my handguns except perhaps my 6 inch DW .22 . I've owned a 4 inch SW .357 for idk 30 years great gun but I don't get 3 inch groups at 30 yards .

NYS is one of only a few states with this law, and  in all those other states it's not caused any of the sky is falling , stick an arrow in a gun hole, stuff that comes up everytime this is brought up . 

Personally id say half the bow hunters I know carry, it's called concealed for a reason.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I'm a handgun guy, but I gotta say I group better at 30 yards with my bow then any of my handguns except perhaps my 6 inch DW .22 . I've owned a 4 inch SW .357 for idk 30 years great gun but I don't get 3 inch groups at 30 yards .

NYS is one of only a few states with this law, and  in all those other states it's not caused any of the sky is falling , stick an arrow in a gun hole, stuff that comes up everytime this is brought up . 

Personally id say half the bow hunters I know carry, it's called concealed for a reason.

Yeah permit to carry but not while having a bow in hand?  Hmmm  Wonder how that works out?  

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I get why THEY think that but let's be honest. if you can legally carry a pistol you can have it loaded in the car with you on your way to hunting and on your way home. Since you can't hunt from a vehicle I guess you could make a case that sitting in you car and having lunch in the middle of a bow hunt isn't hunting so you could have it then. You can't carry it in the stand in the morning if you have your bow with you but if you leave your bow in the car in the afternoon you can climb into the same stand for the afternoon and have it on you then. All this and having it make you more likely to become a poacher?  That is NY liberal logic. 

And I agree with you but you know how these law makers always like to cast wide a net when they make their laws.

It's all a bit ridiculous. 

Yes, Im going to spend all this money on bow hunting gear, take all that time to practice and tune said gear and then when the moment arrives I'm going to decide last minute that I would rather use my handgun. 

And of course no DEC officer will have a chance to hear the gunshot because we all know suppressors turn gunshots into whispers in the wind. 

In Southern Arizona, I came across a little makeshift house in the middle of nowhere. Must have been a stopover spot for illegals the guide told me. We walked through it, it was dirty with old mattresses etc.

One time locally several years ago I went fishing by myself. Got there like 430am before first light. In the gravel parking lot was a Black Range Rover with nobody in it. I thought it was odd that a fancy SUV was parked at a rowboat fishing spot. Walked down to my boat, loaded it up, and was just about to head into the water (still dark but I had headlamp on). A rowboat pulls onto shore with 4 guys. They had no fishing gear but about 10 5gallon buckets. We were like 50 yards apart. They said hello so I asked how they made out and they good lol. Then I rowed out. I assume they were harvesting pot off one of the islands only accessible by rowboat. Looking back on it, I probably should have reported it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk