Ever had a run-in while hunting?

uberyan

I had a couple.........one wasn't directed at me but I was with the guy getting a face full from a neighbor who was actually totally wrong about his accusation.

The second time I was alone, snoozing in the back of my 1983 Ford Ranger.  I had the tail gate down and rear glass of topper open.  There is a dead end road and I was at the end, not bothering a damn thing.  The neighbor came up to my truck and hollered.  I quickly sat up and was startled to see a Browning A5 slung, hanging upside down on the guys shoulder but pointing right at me.  Right next to me I had my S&W Model 37 and my hand slowly went to it.  I demanded that he point the gun away from me as he continued to give me grief.  Grief about what you say?  Well he didn't like the fact that I was "blocking" his foot travels up a trail that wasn't even on his land!

The stand off lasted maybe 3-4 minutes but it seemed much longer.  He left me alone and I left shortly afterwards as I was a bit nervous about him coming back.  I didn't call the police as I'm sure it would have been tough to prove and he was a neighbor to my friend (who still owns that 150 acre chunk today) and I didn't want things to go further.

A fellow member here now owns the land that the douche bag owned so it's funny how things go in life!  (oh yea, the DB is dead of old age)

• Like 2

#1.  Good luck with legally getting a suppressor in NYS.

#2. You see a heck of a lot more deer during bow season...especially on public land.  And they're less on edge.

#3.  When I said the law throws a wide net, I mean sure...in reality, would I really be hunting a deer with a snub nose .380?  Yeah, but if I'm carrying a Smith and Wesson Model 629 Hunter in .44 Magnum with a  scope on it, would it give me a advantage over my bow?  It's still technically a handgun.  Obviously the bow hunter with the snub nose isn't going to hunt deer with it but the law makers either were too dumb or simply didn't care when they made the rule all firearms.

i have a buddy of mine that has on trailcam and has seen himself two sets of twin bear cubs and two mothers in his backyard.  And he is a bit nervous about sneaking into his favorite deer stands this fall in the dark.  If i were him i would carry for sure.  That pistol def makes more noise !  

the question about CC handgun comes up periodically....I am certain that it is legal for you to carry for self defence, concealed, when bowhunting. If I remember correctly the last time I read that clarifying it was either at the DEC website or hunting brochure.

Anyway, if it is concealed, who knows, if the situation develops and you lawfully need it, isn't the bow a moot point?

Myself, when I bowhunted, I also figured I could shoot my bow better than any handgun, and I already would have my bow out...

if rifle hunting ,who needs the handgun? it is already loaded and in my hands. When younger and more foolish, I always carried, but realized it was only dead weight.

the question about CC handgun comes up periodically....I am certain that it is legal for you to carry for self defence, concealed, when bowhunting. If I remember correctly the last time I read that clarifying it was either at the DEC website or hunting brochure.
Anyway, if it is concealed, who knows, if the situation develops and you lawfully need it, isn't the bow a moot point?
Myself, when I bowhunted, I also figured I could shoot my bow better than any handgun, and I already would have my bow out...
if rifle hunting ,who needs the handgun? it is already loaded and in my hands. When younger and more foolish, I always carried, but realized it was only dead weight.

I would like to see where the DEC said you could carry a sidearm for self defense while bow hunting. I'm quite certain they would NEVER put that in writing. In fact if I remember correctly it states quite the opposite. As far as conceal carry goes while hunting, my licensing officer said if your hunting and you're carrying a pistol it's fine to have in uncovered but when you come back out to your truck or a road etc., Throw your jacket over it but he doubted you have any trouble while hunting during a firearms season.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would like to see the law amended with certain firearm restrictions for carry during archery. Something like a caliber and barrel length restriction, nothing over .38 caliber and barrel length under 3" would be my regulations. That combo is not going to be very beneficial to "hunting" but certainly better than a sharp stick in a defensive situation.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uberyan said:

So far it sounds like being able to carry while bow hunting would be beneficial for one's ability to self-preserve. 

Is there any specific reason/logic cited as to why it's not allowed in NY or is it just another one of those stupid NY laws?

Considering how difficult/annoying it is to even get a pistol (legally), you'd think they'd let you use it where needed.

being in the woods in an escape for me. If i ever feel the need to protect myself then i'm looking for new woods. I too have had some hair raising yote moments, but that's mother nature and it's only fair lol.

And this is from a guy who carries just about anytime i travel or head out in public. 

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Q: I have a pistol permit, may I carry my handgun while bowhunting?
A: No. While bowhunting during a special bow season, you may not possess a firearm of any description.

That is right off the DEC webiste

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

I would like to see the law amended with certain firearm restrictions for carry during archery. Something like a caliber and barrel length restriction, nothing over .38 caliber and barrel length under 3" would be my regulations. That combo is not going to be very beneficial to "hunting" but certainly better than a sharp stick in a defensive situation.

Under 3 or 4" barrel I'm ok with but absolutely no need for a caliber restricting, if it's a 22 or a 500S&W if it has a short barrel very few people are going to shoot it well enough to want to use it over a bow.

Honestly I don't care if the law changes or not. I'm not going in the woods without a firearm, if I have to use that firearm on a critter with 4 legs the odds of anyone else knowing about it are very very slim, if I have to use it on a critter with 2 legs I have way bigger worries than my hunting license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

11 hours ago, Elmo said:

And I agree with you but you know how these law makers always like to cast wide a net when they make their laws.

we will never see any sort of progress with gun laws in ny. Even if they all agreed that the law was dumb, the optic would be a win for "gun nuts", so it'd never pass. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Q: I have a pistol permit, may I carry my handgun while bowhunting?
A: No. While bowhunting during a special bow season, you may not possess a firearm of any description.

That is right off the DEC webiste

True, it is right on there. I suspect it's also reflected somewhere in NY's penal code, but can can anybody cite the section? What I'm getting at is, I wonder if DEC just made this up (almost certainly not but wouldn't be entirely surprising given that the official .gov site for new york still gives advice in direct and clear contradiction to NY penal law about the NY SAFE act).

Here is NY's complete penal code (I think) as it pertains to firearms. I see nothing about the illegality of carrying while hunting. Does DEC have additional laws (not passages on their website) that superceded or compliment the penal code?

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm

Edited by Core

14 minutes ago, Core said:

True, it is right on there. I suspect it's also reflected somewhere in NY's penal code, but can can anybody cite the section? What I'm getting at is, I wonder if DEC just made this up (almost certainly not but wouldn't be entirely surprising given that the official .gov site for new york still gives advice in direct and clear contradiction to NY penal law about the NY SAFE act).

New York Consolidated Laws, Environmental Conservation Law - ENV § 11-0931. Prohibitions on the use and possession of firearms

6. No person while engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a bowhunting privilege, and no person accompanying him or her or a member of his or her party, while he or she is so engaged during a special longbow season, shall have in his or her possession a firearm of any kind, and no person while engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a muzzle-loading privilege, and no person accompanying him or her or a member of his or her party, while he or she is so engaged during a special muzzle-loading firearm season, shall have in his or her possession a firearm of any kind other than a muzzle-loading firearm

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

New York Consolidated Laws, Environmental Conservation Law - ENV § 11-0931. Prohibitions on the use and possession of firearms

6. No person while engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a bowhunting privilege, and no person accompanying him or her or a member of his or her party, while he or she is so engaged during a special longbow season, shall have in his or her possession a firearm of any kind, and no person while engaged in hunting deer or bear pursuant to a muzzle-loading privilege, and no person accompanying him or her or a member of his or her party, while he or she is so engaged during a special muzzle-loading firearm season, shall have in his or her possession a firearm of any kind other than a muzzle-loading firearm

Damn it!

21 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Whenever there's stupid laws, I always think law makers are dumb but I also think there's probably some idiot who did something stupid that snowballed into a stupid law to get enact.

sunset rules. I've never flailed away at something moving in a bush that i couldn't identify. Or taken a shot at a mysterious silhouette. But too many idiots did. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Belo said:

sunset rules. I've never flailed away at something moving in a bush that i couldn't identify. Or taken a shot at a mysterious silhouette. But too many idiots did. 

The majority suffers because of the idiocy of a few. Somehow I feel that wasn't the premise of the founding of our country.

• Like 1

After over 40 years of hunting, four incidents come to mind.

I was chasing a poacher on our land, through the woods when he turned and aimed his scoped rifle on me. Needless to say my life is not worth some jerks need to trespass and poach deer on land he knows that he is not to be on. The police were unable to find out who it was.

I was hunting in a tree stand in Saskatchewan, temp was 30 below. A pack of wolves came in and stayed by me for most of the day. I am here to tell you that a howling pack of wolves is the most eerie sound that I have ever heard.

While mountain goat hunting in British Columbia, I had a grizzly charge me and stopped at 20 yards. I turned to say something to my guide and saw him running away. Huh, he was supposed to be the one protecting me!

I was in a tree stand hunting black bears in Maine many years ago. A sow with 2 cubs came in, the sow must have either winded me or sensed my presence. She walked under the tree I was in, sat down and growled and popped her teeth for about one hour till dark. My guide had to come in and chase her off. I didn't want to shoot her because of the cubs. The next day I went back to the same stand, she must have climbed the tree during the night because the bark was clawed off at the stand height where I was sitting.

Gotta love our addiction to hunting!

• Like 3

I wouldn't say I needed a sidearm, but I do recall an evening where the Yotes were noisey right at dusk. As I made my trek back to the house (4-500yrds) the pack was following and occasionally making some noise. When I finally got to the mowed grass in the back yard I could hear them in the hardwoods behind me, within 50-75 yards. I kept an arrow knocked but sure would have felt more "comfortable" with a sidearm.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

After over 40 years of hunting, four incidents come to mind.

While mountain goat hunting in British Columbia, I had a grizzly charge me and stopped at 20 yards. I turned to say something to my guide and saw him running away. Huh, he was supposed to be the one protecting me!

This one had me laughing although I bet it wasn't funny at the time.

59 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

He was a nice guy, so I never told his boss.  I've learned over the years to never run from a bear. Either grizz or black. They are much faster than you.

But as we all know if you take a friend you only need to be faster than him. Now the most worrying of all the incidents you had is that you were still hunting when it was 30 below. I bet that stand was nice to be in with the wolves around, though.

12 hours ago, chrisw said:

I would like to see where the DEC said you could carry a sidearm for self defense while bow hunting. I'm quite certain they would NEVER put that in writing. In fact if I remember correctly it states quite the opposite. As far as conceal carry goes while hunting, my licensing officer said if your hunting and you're carrying a pistol it's fine to have in uncovered but when you come back out to your truck or a road etc., Throw your jacket over it but he doubted you have any trouble while hunting during a firearms season.

Years ago we had a poaching problem , so I did more patrolling and camera moving . One day just prior to bow I got to the road and found a DEC officer waiting there for me . 

He knew of the poacher and saw me out in the field , I had a Glock 23 on my hip open carried . He glanced at it  but never said a word let alone asked for my permit. We talked and he gave me his card and he even changed his hours to try and catch the guy . 

They can tell pretty fast who's on the good guys team, at least in this part of the state .

• Like 1