Ever had a run-in while hunting?

uberyan

Heck , I mentioned having pics of a coyote on a trail cam and said that I should probably start carrying when checking my cams . A couple of non mentionables on the site accused me of wanting to shoot coyotes out of season . So , be careful what you say . 

9 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Heck , I mentioned having pics of a coyote on a trail cam and said that I should probably start carrying when checking my cams . A couple of non mentionables on the site accused me of wanting to shoot coyotes out of season . So , be careful what you say . 

I'm not even saying this to troll but I thought coyote season was from Jan 1 - Dec 31. I've never hunted them, though.

After over 40 years of hunting, four incidents come to mind.
I was chasing a poacher on our land, through the woods when he turned and aimed his scoped rifle on me. Needless to say my life is not worth some jerks need to trespass and poach deer on land he knows that he is not to be on. The police were unable to find out who it was.
I was hunting in a tree stand in Saskatchewan, temp was 30 below. A pack of wolves came in and stayed by me for most of the day. I am here to tell you that a howling pack of wolves is the most eerie sound that I have ever heard.
While mountain goat hunting in British Columbia, I had a grizzly charge me and stopped at 20 yards. I turned to say something to my guide and saw him running away. Huh, he was supposed to be the one protecting me!
I was in a tree stand hunting black bears in Maine many years ago. A sow with 2 cubs came in, the sow must have either winded me or sensed my presence. She walked under the tree I was in, sat down and growled and popped her teeth for about one hour till dark. My guide had to come in and chase her off. I didn't want to shoot her because of the cubs. The next day I went back to the same stand, she must have climbed the tree during the night because the bark was clawed off at the stand height where I was sitting.
Gotta love our addiction to hunting!

No wolf tag? Any pics of the Billy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The goat is propped up behind an old tree stump to keep him from rolling down the steep slope. My legs are crossed and wedged behind him to keep me from sliding down the mountain also. He is an exceptional large goat with an estimated weight of 300 lbs. I also shot him later in the season when the coats are fully furred out for the winter which may make him look larger than he really is. Fully furred out billies make awesome full mounts. He made the book also.

• Like 3

I had a guy on the second last Saturday of the gun season in one of my tree stands try to kick me off the property I hunt on. He told me he and his buddy had permission to hunt there. So I said that’s funny seeing I have the key to the gate and the trailer. I told him here’s how it’s going to go you can climb down now and you and your buddy can get out of here and never come back or I’ll cut the ladder down and you can stay up there till I call the police to come and get you down. Your choice. He climbed down and we exchanged some pleasantries and he left but cut across the neighbors land and he let no one hunt there

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

I had a guy on the second last Saturday of the gun season in one of my tree stands try to kick me off the property I hunt on. He told me he and his buddy had permission to hunt there. So I said that’s funny seeing I have the key to the gate and the trailer. I told him here’s how it’s going to go you can climb down now and you and your buddy can get out of here and never come back or I’ll cut the ladder down and you can stay up there till I call the police to come and get you down. Your choice. He climbed down and we exchanged some pleasantries and he left but cut across the neighbors land and he let no one hunt there

I got kicked off a property I bow hunt up north. The guy came in late, saw me and walked up to my stand and told me to get off the property.  I asked if he knew who owned it and he replied that his cousin did. I climbed down and extended my hand to shake his. He refused and I said that was a sh!tty attitude to have between cousins.  He said "we ain't cousins". My response was that he should reconsider his story then and get off the property becasue my cousin DID own it. He did. 

• Like 8

When I was about 16 I watched a guy walking down our hedge row so I got out of my stand and ran down and popped out beside him. I greeted him pleasantly and asked him what he was doing he replied with "hunting" I told him he should turn around and head where he came from because he was going to be hunting here. He told me to"drag my ass before he had to kick it" to which he got a 30-06 barrel shoved into his forehead. He then started to tell me he was going to call the police and that Keith "my father" gave him permission when I told him he was my dad and I'm sure he didn't give him permission but we could walk over to his stand and ask him he turned around called me a bunch of names and walked back where he came from with me following behind him.

It was dumb on my part to muzzle thump him but I was a dumb kid and he was an idiot but it was funny watching him hustle away with his tail between his legs.

I got kicked off a property I bow hunt up north. The guy came in late, saw me and walked up to my stand and told me to get off the property.  I asked if he knew who owned it and he replied that his cousin did. I climbed down and extended my hand to shake his. He refused and I said that was a sh!tty attitude to have between cousins.  He said "we ain't cousins". My response was that he should reconsider his story then and get off the property becasue my cousin DID own it. He did. 

Culver you're a big dude, I bet that guy talked a mean game until he saw your feet hit the ground lol

• Like 4

I've had a few unpleasant encounters, none that got too ugly.  I've had more trouble with trespassers during turkey season actually.  I think it may have to do with camo clothing!  We even had someone post part of our property.  The local sherif took care of that in one day, they have software with the property lines.

Anyway, in NY where I hunt one has to wear a back tag.  My advice is to avoid nasty confrontations with idiots in possession of firearms.  It's just not worth it.  Get their back tag number, maybe a picture, and make a phone call.  Word gets around quickly.  We probably all remember this story:

http://www.twincities.com/2015/03/21/tree-stand-murders-recounts-st-paul-mans-wisconsin-deer-hunter-killings/

jperch

I was out buck hunting in my stand one sit. This mean old crusty doe comes strolling along by and stomping her feet at me. I decided that she was trespassing. So I shot her and ate her for dinner. She was delicious and I was able to fill a DMP in the process

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Q: I have a pistol permit, may I carry my handgun while bowhunting?
A: No. While bowhunting during a special bow season, you may not possess a firearm of any description.

That is right off the DEC webiste

I stand corrected....I looked up your reference. Not that it makes a difference ( I no longer bowhunt).

but I don't see why a conflict would exist...the handgun is for concealed carry (in my case), for self defence. The pistol I would use would be below minimal barrel length for hunting, not accessible, and not involved in the pursuit...therefore no conflict . Of course, those choosing to break the law would regardless of details.

On ‎07‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, jperch said:

I've had a few unpleasant encounters, none that got too ugly.  I've had more trouble with trespassers during turkey season actually.  I think it may have to do with camo clothing! 

Turkey hunters are by far worse trespassers than any other hunter. They hunt where are allowed, hear a hot bird gobbling and figure nobody else is out there, nobody will know scenario.  Deer don't make loud audibles so chances are one isn't going to lure you off property you do have permission to hunt.

I've thrown out the same guy off Posted property 3x now over the years. It's always the gun opener. My blood boils. Always the same response. "I have permission to hunt from (insert my brothers name)"   Um. no you don't. I'm his brother and I'm the only one. Last year daughter and I were sitting in our ground blind when we hear 2 shots on property. Minutes later I see orange walking our way. I got up and walked towards him. Low and behold he's got a friend this time and this guy is wearing full camo. Rum dumb. Told him I'm sick of throwing his a$$ off of here. Should have grabbed a pic and backtag #. We know who he is. My daughter heard a few words I'm sure she hasn't heard me say that often. Just sucks to think we have the woods to ourselves and then not.

I can imagine a lot of hunters running into meth labs and pot grows which carrying a handgun would ease the tention of accidentally walking up to one. You catch someone off guard all amped up on meth and who knows what they might do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Turkey hunters are by far worse trespassers than any other hunter. They hunt where are allowed, hear a hot bird gobbling and figure nobody else is out there, nobody will know scenario.  Deer don't make loud audibles so chances are one isn't going to lure you off property you do have permission to hunt.

I've thrown out the same guy off Posted property 3x now over the years. It's always the gun opener. My blood boils. Always the same response. "I have permission to hunt from (insert my brothers name)"   Um. no you don't. I'm his brother and I'm the only one. Last year daughter and I were sitting in our ground blind when we hear 2 shots on property. Minutes later I see orange walking our way. I got up and walked towards him. Low and behold he's got a friend this time and this guy is wearing full camo. Rum dumb. Told him I'm sick of throwing his a$$ off of here. Should have grabbed a pic and backtag #. We know who he is. My daughter heard a few words I'm sure she hasn't heard me say that often. Just sucks to think we have the woods to ourselves and then not.

I can imagine a lot of hunters running into meth labs and pot grows which carrying a handgun would ease the tention of accidentally walking up to one. You catch someone off guard all amped up on meth and who knows what they might do.

How about someone growing pot on your land. My grandparents went turkey hunting about 4 or 5 years ago on their land and found a nice little grow the guy had going. I had seen the plants at the start of turkey season, but at the time I didn't know what the plant looked like. Last season after a funny feeling I decided to swing by the property on my way down from salmon fishing and found someone bow hunting Literally right under my tree stand. When I asked him what he was doing he said he was hunting one xyz's land. Well I quickly informed him that the land has been in my family for 30 years and the guy who gave him permission was a liar. Well that guy was very respectful and we ended up shaking hands. To my knowledge he never stepped for on the land again. Judging by his friends criminal record he's probably the one that planted the pot. 

One other time I shot a deer opening day of gun season back in 2010. When I climbed down to field dress and tag the deer, I realized I left my tags as well as my knife back at the car (about 2-300 yards away). I quickly turned back to get my tags and knife from my truck. When i got to my car I heard 2 shots from where I was hunting. The land owner was also hunting that day and I figured he shot one. When I was walking back I see the land owner with a buck in his hands, so naturally I was thrilled and went to go congratulate him. I was a little confused when I got close and saw him holding the buck I just shot. Turns out 2 guys came in trespassing and shot at the big 8 I was chasing that year (too bad I didn't hold out for that guy). The guys missed the deer, but stumbled upon the deer that I shot and tried to drag it away. The landowner saw it and confronted the guy about it. The guy came up with the story that he missed the 8 and got the 5 point I had gotten. Turns out this guy has been causing problems for years all over the place. 

On the same property I shot a nice buck back in 2015 that dropped 15 feet on the neighbors property. I had permission to retrieve so I went to get the buck. Another neighbor saw our orange vests and come over to yell at us for trespassing. After accusing us of a long list of crimes (as well as trespassing) he then realized that he we weren't the guys that have been causing problems in the area. Turns out i have trail cam pics of this guy trespassing on our land and he even admitted he did including carrying a deer rifle during the youth season (with no youth with him). I predict ill have another run in with him this year. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

I own a property that has very rich soil, almost muck.  All kinds of native plants grow well.  I had seen evidence that someone was planting something on my land which made me nervous to be out by myself cutting firewood or just walking.  I don't live on this parcel and people know it.  I had a state forester out to give me advice and showed him some of the empty plant containers, etc.  A couple days later the regular DEC called and asked if they could put some trail cameras on my property.  Of course I said yes and told them that they were welcome any time.  I don't know if they ever found anything out.  In general I have found them to be very helpful and professional.  They also helped me out on a timber theft issue years ago.  They are the pros.

Here is a "funny story", as it turns out.  My GF lives on a different farm property and one day she sees a small buck running out in the open a few hundred yards from the house.  This is her property and nobody has permission to hunt outside of family.  The buck is shot and goes down.  Hunters appear from a hedgerow.  She jumps in the truck by herself and tears up the hill through the mud to give the hunters hell for trespassing.  As she gets there she sees a group of 5 unknown guys with guns and suddenly realizes "Oh s@#$, what was I thinking..."  The guys were told to leave, it was testy but things went ok.  I think she became kinda famous in the local town that day.

jperch

• Like 1