Letchworth

DanielT

I saw a spike following a doe's scent 20 mins after she passed by and a 4pt chasing a different doe this past Wed eve. Yesterday on the river bottom I had a doe feeding in front of me at 20 yards, she was always looking behind her and over towards the river. She stayed there for 20 mins or so, then a real nice buck came up over the river bed and passed behind me at 30 yards and eventually winded me. As usual, he was at my off shoulder when I first saw him and i'd have to do a 180 to get a shot. Wish I would have picked the other tree that would have been down wind of him 15 yds! It was great to see a nice buck though and a learning lesson.

I was ready to pull out around 3pm due to the rain when I see a guy on the other side of the river and he was stashing an inflatable raft, then he crossed over the river to my side (to check his stand I believe). I got down and talked to him on the way out, nice guy. Sure is hard to find a place where no one hunts the river bottom!!!

• Like 2

On 10/29/2017 at 7:09 AM, genesee_mohican said:

I saw a spike following a doe's scent 20 mins after she passed by and a 4pt chasing a different doe this past Wed eve. Yesterday on the river bottom I had a doe feeding in front of me at 20 yards, she was always looking behind her and over towards the river. She stayed there for 20 mins or so, then a real nice buck came up over the river bed and passed behind me at 30 yards and eventually winded me. As usual, he was at my off shoulder when I first saw him and i'd have to do a 180 to get a shot. Wish I would have picked the other tree that would have been down wind of him 15 yds! It was great to see a nice buck though and a learning lesson.

I was ready to pull out around 3pm due to the rain when I see a guy on the other side of the river and he was stashing an inflatable raft, then he crossed over the river to my side (to check his stand I believe). I got down and talked to him on the way out, nice guy. Sure is hard to find a place where no one hunts the river bottom!!!

You will only find the..Real Hunter's..per say down in the bottom. Hate to say real hunter really but its not a place for the weak at heart in most places and when you see a hunter down there they are not the guys that are going to shoot just any buck. How many would go to the work of getting a raft down there?  We stash our hip/chest waders and just tie ropes across the river to get back and forth but still work many wont put in.

13 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

You will only find the..Real Hunter's..per say down in the bottom. Hate to say real hunter really but its not a place for the weak at heart in most places and when you see a hunter down there they are not the guys that are going to shoot just any buck. How many would go to the work of getting a raft down there?  We stash our hip/chest waders and just tie ropes across the river to get back and forth but still work many wont put in.

Not many will do it but enough that finding a place where there are no others hunting is hard and I've scouted a lot of places. I waded across last week, but a raft would be needed now.  It's a nice place to spend the day, no big buck yet, but keeps me going back. Not sure how many more years I have in me so I enjoy every trip.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

Not many will do it but enough that finding a place where there are no others hunting is hard and I've scouted a lot of places. I waded across last week, but a raft would be needed now.  It's a nice place to spend the day, no big buck yet, but keeps me going back. Not sure how many more years I have in me so I enjoy every trip.

They are finding it easier to trail down the West and cross to the East. I dont seem to see any hunters when ropes are involved.  Escape the trails and you escape the hunters 99% of the time.

I hear ya on the age thing. Took a couple trips down last week and headed down Friday for a 3 week stint. Should be interesting.

7 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

They are finding it easier to trail down the West and cross to the East. I dont seem to see any hunters when ropes are involved.  Escape the trails and you escape the hunters 99% of the time.

I hear ya on the age thing. Took a couple trips down last week and headed down Friday for a 3 week stint. Should be interesting.

I don't use any trails and it's pretty steep where I go up and down, but doable for most really. 

3 weeks to hunt the park! that's awesome, looking forward to the pics and stories. Good luck and be safe!

• Like 1

Heavy rains were over the entire river watershed last Sunday and Monday and it continues to rain.

I took a photo from the hogsback overlook last Friday and then again yesterday. The dam is holding water back and preventing flooding downstream, but most of the river bottom in the park is underwater and will remain that way for a while.

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 6:22 AM, ncountry said:

Wow.  It is amazing how high the water will get in the park .. I've seen the driftwood in trees quite a way up the sides.lol. I have never hunted the park though when the water is that high.. Has to change things.. I am 5 days away ,and counting down . : )

Good luck ncountry, you picked the right week.

This week should be great timing for the rut to kick in and good weather too. I figure the deer have much less area to hide, so they will be up on the hillsides chasing instead in the bottom willow thickets, at least near the north end by the dam.

I tagged a mature buck on Saturday that was walking around mid day. I had planned to take most of this week off, but now I'll just take a day and move a stand and enjoy the woods next weekend, but I'll be wishing I was out there this week.

FullSizeR-2.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

• Like 9

Genesee did you get him in letchworth? I have always wanted to try to hunt there but I never have. I'm a couple hours away from there but the times I have been there I have always seen a lot of deer out in the fields right before entering the park. I'm not sure what entrance area I used, but I think it's not that far from the main office building or maintenance area. I have been there for a few work related trainings. 

On 11/8/2017 at 8:54 PM, Cattcounty said:

Genesee did you get him in letchworth? I have always wanted to try to hunt there but I never have. I'm a couple hours away from there but the times I have been there I have always seen a lot of deer out in the fields right before entering the park. I'm not sure what entrance area I used, but I think it's not that far from the main office building or maintenance area. I have been there for a few work related trainings. 

Yes, in the park. The main office is at the south end of the park, and some of that is off limits to hunting so the deer can be seen wandering around.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:29 AM, genesee_mohican said:

This week should be great timing for the rut to kick in and good weather too. I figure the deer have much less area to hide, so they will be up on the hillsides chasing instead in the bottom willow thickets, at least near the north end by the dam.

I tagged a mature buck on Saturday that was walking around mid day. I had planned to take most of this week off, but now I'll just take a day and move a stand and enjoy the woods next weekend, but I'll be wishing I was out there this week.

FullSizeR-2.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

Congrats! Nice buck!

We havn't been having the best luck but not bad either.. we have a couple does hanging and a 9 point... seeing quite a few small bucks.. I have been watching a dozen does. Waiting for the bucks to show.. No luck so far..lol.. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
400 lb bear taken in park 0f28d212951cf8a4c621d12ecfc9f81b.jpg&key=ee2dcc0e3b57021df1126d6dd02b50c3876075d951343b0ff5fbaafad042838b

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That's a beast. My buddy next to the park sent me this today. They sure didn't make it very public to the bear hunting on the park. Lots of people on Facebook just trashing this guy for killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk