Would deer be put off by caged dogs barking 24/7?

Core

Thinking of leasing a piece of land. It's terribly close to my home, price is fair. One of my worries is it's near a property that has a bunch of dogs. They are all caged and don't run around, but the property sounds like a breeding kennels to be honest. It's loud as heck, dogs going absolutely ballistic at seemingly all hours.

My hope is that deer have grown used to the fact these dogs are caged and not roaming around, rather like how deer get used to a lot of things. Is that fair? The obvious question now is: have I scouted it. I have a bit, but not a ton and this is the absolute worst time of year to do it as much of the area is heavily overgrown. 

we have a dog that barks often at one property we hunt.  Doesn't seem to bother the deer a bit.  I wouldn't want to set up next to the barking dog and we try to avoid having him bark when we enter early in the morning, but its not really an issue.  I suspect they know the safe boundary from the dogs.

• Like 1

I have shot sporting clays at a gun club  and had deer laying within 30 yards of a shooting station and never budge when the shootign started. I honestly believe they can become desensitized to things like that and the dogs. 

That sound of the dogs is just a sound. it hasn't been linked to a threatening situation becasue they aren't in the woods and chasing the deer.  have a buck wander in the woods during the rut that has been chased by barking dogs and you may get a different reaction to the barking. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

As long as the deer is a local and the barking dogs are nothing new they won't even bat an eye... I shot a 3yr old buck 120yds from a waste management dumpster and he came in to a buck grunt, while coming in the dumpster was being emptied into a truck and I thought for sure that buck would bolt but he never even broke stride. You'll be fine!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have shot sporting clays at a gun club  and had deer laying within 30 yards of a shooting station and never budge when the shootign started. I honestly believe they can become desensitized to things like that and the dogs. 

That sound of the dogs is just a sound. it hasn't been linked to a threatening situation becasue they aren't in the woods and chasing the deer.  have a buck wander in the woods during the rut that has been chased by barking dogs and you may get a different reaction to the barking. 

The farm I hunt has land all around the old Creekside gun shop, I'd bow hunt weekends and hear the gun guys shooting all,day long , never an issue .

Thanksgiving Day,  1968.....

I  left the house at daylight,  heading down across the road, where there  were many hundreds of acres that I had permission to hunt..

I heard my walker foxhound barking back behind the house..I looked back and saw a buck standing about 30 yards from the dog ....

I walked back across the road, rested my12 gauge Ithaca deerslayer on the corner of the house right outside my parent's bedroom, and dropped the buck right in our vegetable garden...

By the time my parents woke up, I had the deer gutted and hanging in the barn..

I asked my Dad if he heard any shooting close by...He said he heard a shot somewhere closeby...Hehehehe..My shot was within ten feet of his BED ...

I had to load the guts in a washtub and take them away from the house..Only buck I ever shot that I had to haul the guts away..

• Like 7