I Got Bit...ignorant dog owners are out there

greg54

So early today 5:45 a.m. I decide to go for my morning walk and get in routine as per my doctors orders get some exercise. I was about halfway thru my walk and from out of nowhere I hear a growl behind me and then teeth biting into my upper tright calf. It was a white german shepard that bit me and boxer -pit mix was running back and forth growling. I ended up falling on my hip and lower back and twisted where my spnal fusions are, it hurt like hell. The shepard then came at me again and I was able to get a kick to its head and I screamed at them and they ran back across the street to where the owner of the dogs lives. I had gotten up and was crossing street yelling your dog just bit me. And she comes up starts screaming "Please don't report this, shes done this before and they will put her down if you do" Thats what made my blood boil when she said that, she didn't ask if I was ok or not. Then I ask her what the house number was, and she yells I don't know  and runs into the house. Needless to say, I went to the village police station around 7:30 am and made report to the police. The Chief knew right away the ladies name and the dogs. They have issued citations to her in past and the Judge ordered that she keep dog chained or leashed at all times. This dog has bitten a few people before me. So I went to E.R. had the bite cleaned out, some antibiotics and a tetanus shot and an ice pack to put on it. To me this lady needs to not be allowed to have a pet, she doesn't take it seriously. And it could been kid getting bit. I will be getting call from health dept to update me on dogs rabies status, but the police were pretty sure she had dog vaccinated due to court orders. I hope they put that dog to bed permanently. Anyone else have similar dealings with irresponsible pet owners?

I've been bitten all over the body including the face - that cost me 10 stitches and a tooth - but always while training dogs so it went with the territory. 

My only advice is to keep wound open and clean it continually. They can get nasty if infected.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Dang. That sucks. Some high speed lead poisoning would have been ideal. Glad you're ok , could have been real bad.
Inside two weeks ago I was walking down the road in my waders from trout fishing. Out of nowhere a mixed mutt comes ripping across the street towards me. Barking and teeth showing as snarling. I yelled for it to get away as I continued walking. It started to walk away as I passed it and then tried sneaking up behind me , snarling and head down low. Yelled again at it. Same thing again By this time my Tomcat was cocked and locked in my pocket with my hand inside the waders as I watched it one more time approach Just then I hear the owner yelling for it to come back. He eventually came out to road and literally dragged the dog off. I was pretty close to popping that dog. It certainly would have bitten me if I didn't keep an eye on it. Some people are clueless when it comes to dog ownership. And to think some of these dogs I'm sure have been around kids or elderly at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As bad as it was Greg, it could have been even worse! Hope you feel better soon. The dog owner has absolutely no excuse for what happened to you. If that dog is put down, and I believe rightfully so, SHE is the one who is responsible for it ending that way. She knew the animal was dangerous, and did nothing to prevent it from hurting multiple people! If she truly cared for that dog, she would have gotten it some training or at the very least, kept it secured like she was ordered to do! Some people never cease to amaze me. I would definitely talk to an attorney!  You should never have gotten this extra pain and suffering, by taking a morning walk in your neighborhood! 

• Like 1

Glad you're OK Greg...............As you know, the owner is really to blame on this but the dog will surely pay the price.  I'd sue the bastards, that'll teach them. 

Plus 1, id be suing and never working a day again in my life.

• Like 2

There is only one way to stop a person like this...sure they'll kill the dog..but the problem will still be there. They will just get another dog....sue for medical,pain and suffering,any time off of work and possible future issues with your back. Home owners will make sure they never get another dog or they'll be out of  insureance,dropped like a rock if found out...Good Luck

• Like 4

I just don't understand a dog owner keeping a dog like that. I have been called heartless but I just don't get it. I had a dog when I was a teenager that bit my cousin and he didn't have a chance to bite anyone else in his last 2 minutes of life. My brother had a dog that bit me in the face pretty bad and that one didn't live many minutes after that either.

A dog is a pet if a pet wants to eat people it's no longer a pet and has no use being alive in my opinion.

A cow that kicked when being milked went to the beef market a dog that bites people goes in the ground.

• Like 8

Glad your ok. That owner of the dogs is a total D-bag and doesn't deserve the right to own any more dogs. Hopefully that dog is put down immediately and the other one taken from her.

I feel the same as others on here about dogs that bite people...put em down. I had to get rid of a beautiful male German Shepard pup 2 years ago because I couldn't trust him around my kids. It sucked having to get rid of him because he was the textbook definition of a German Shepard and had incredible size and features. That boy belonged in a police training program, not our house with kids. But we found him a nice new owner who could tend to the needs of an aggressive large breed dog like that. It was the responsible thing to do. I knew if I didn't give him up, at any moment I could be blowing a hole in him for biting one of my boys.

Now we have a black lab mix thing. He's not very bright but he's docile. And come to find out, deathly afraid of loud noises. Lit off a pack of fire crackers and he took off for 10 hours. Thought he was a goner lol. But he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and is a good dog to have with kids around.
  • Like 1

It is amazing how many people own animals and have no clue that there are responsibilities that go along with pet ownership. I feel pretty strong about ignorant people who allow their animals loose to plague wildlife or farm animals or whatever else happens to cross their path. I have heard it before where people were moving out into the country and were so happy that now they had a place for their canines to "run free and be happy". It happens all too often.

• Like 1

Glad that you're doing ok..

Down here, it's not uncommon to have people walk dogs off leash in areas frequented by people where there are signs "NO DOGS".

Three times, at Jones Beach State Park  I had dogs come at me as there owners ran them on a clearly marked"no Dogs" beach. I pushed one away with a stick, another time, I was fishing and 2 BIG dogs came t me, so I waded a little deeper ,  and the 3rd time it was called off by the owner. There's never an apology.

That's only examples of one area on L.I.   It seems like very few areas will enforce the laws for dogs, but if you fish in the wrong area they'll make you leave even if no other people  are  there.

So early today 5:45 a.m. I decide to go for my morning walk and get in routine as per my doctors orders get some exercise. I was about halfway thru my walk and from out of nowhere I hear a growl behind me and then teeth biting into my upper tright calf. It was a white german shepard that bit me and boxer -pit mix was running back and forth growling. I ended up falling on my hip and lower back and twisted where my spnal fusions are, it hurt like hell. The shepard then came at me again and I was able to get a kick to its head and I screamed at them and they ran back across the street to where the owner of the dogs lives. I had gotten up and was crossing street yelling your dog just bit me. And she comes up starts screaming "Please don't report this, shes done this before and they will put her down if you do" Thats what made my blood boil when she said that, she didn't ask if I was ok or not. Then I ask her what the house number was, and she yells I don't know  and runs into the house. Needless to say, I went to the village police station around 7:30 am and made report to the police. The Chief knew right away the ladies name and the dogs. They have issued citations to her in past and the Judge ordered that she keep dog chained or leashed at all times. This dog has bitten a few people before me. So I went to E.R. had the bite cleaned out, some antibiotics and a tetanus shot and an ice pack to put on it. To me this lady needs to not be allowed to have a pet, she doesn't take it seriously. And it could been kid getting bit. I will be getting call from health dept to update me on dogs rabies status, but the police were pretty sure she had dog vaccinated due to court orders. I hope they put that dog to bed permanently. Anyone else have similar dealings with irresponsible pet owners?

This is why people carry

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Would it have been within the legal ramifications to shoot this dog while holding a CC permit? Would you have to be bitten before you could shoot? Even if the dog were acting aggressively at close quarters and not biting yet? Could you lose your CC permit if you shot and killed this animal? Or have charges brought on YOU from the dog owner? Or from the police? Do you have the right to protect yourself in a neighborhood, from a vicious animal, by discharging a firearm?  Interesting questions. What do you guy's think. I think, I know what I'd have done while being attacked. But what would the outcome have been for me?

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Would it have been within the legal ramifications to shoot this dog while holding a CC permit? Would you have to be bitten before you could shoot? Even if the dog were acting aggressively at close quarters and not biting yet? Could you lose your CC permit if you shot and killed this animal? Or have charges brought on YOU from the dog owner? Or from the police? Do you have the right to protect yourself in a neighborhood, from a vicious animal, by discharging a firearm?  Interesting questions. What do you guy's think. I think, I know what I'd have done while being attacked. But what would the outcome have been for me?

I don't have a CC permit but if I did and was armed I would have shot the dog ..... Period !  It draws blood you draw blood !

• Like 1

I don't have a CC permit but if I did and was armed I would have shot the dog ..... Period !  It draws blood you draw blood !

I agree it draws blood on me my family or my pets it's dead. End of story I don't believe you would or could be charged for protecting yourself or your family.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm embarrassed to admit that I was mauled by a beagle when I was young. Okay, maybe not mauled ,mostly growling and snapping at my legs. It felt like a mauling at the time .

Turn in your man card. Also beagles are one of my least favorite animals of all time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk