Fish Mounts

njg0621

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Skin mount or painted form?  Seems like no one does the skin mounts anymore.  Take a photo and they ship you a replica.  Still costs quite a bit. 

He did a nice job!

my cousin just had a big rainbow trout done.  i assumed it was a replica and but he said no it was the real fish.  i don't know who did it but must have been somewhere around the capitol region or vermont.

All Skin mounts.  I'm not sold on the replicas....everyone says they look the same but not if you ask me.  You don't get the texture of the scales like a skin mount...they never look as real to me IMO.  Plus most taxidermists use the standard form sizes and your fish will be close but never actually your exact fish.  Skin mounts all the way for me.  The pics don't do justice for how nice they actually look in person but it gives you an idea.

• Like 3

All Skin mounts.  I'm not sold on the replicas....everyone says they look the same but not if you ask me.  You don't get the texture of the scales like a skin mount...they never look as real to me IMO.  Plus most taxidermists use the standard form sizes and your fish will be close but never actually your exact fish.  Skin mounts all the way for me.  The pics don't do justice for how nice they actually look in person but it gives you an idea.

Same here. Skin or no point. A replica is like getting a buck mount of a deer you got pics of lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my $.02, but I like the fiberglass mounts better than skin mounts. The skin mounts I've had done years ago all seem to start fading, sorta like a tattoo you get in your 20's and regret later.:rofl: All the fiberglass mounts look as good as they did the day I picked them up. It really depends on who does the mount for you, if you really want detail, a skilled fish taxidermist will make your fish look incredibly lifelike, but like most thuings in life, they won't work cheap.

• Like 1