Where are those plots?

11 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

This year we did an acre of each. One 1/2 acre plot of beans (got wiped out by the neighbors cows when they were out for 5 or 6 days) and then the other 1/2 acre of beans strip planted into 2 corn/bean plots. All of the corn (3 plots) has been doing well. We just got ahold of a planter this year so we are experimenting. 

Do you have a problem with corn and beans being wiped out before season?

2nd discing done 2 days ago. Neighbor called me today to say he'd be back over for a 3rd and final rip. Most of the field could be planted as is. But one more discing will really make it perfect all the way across.
1d7276928044ce673693dc6a64afb87c.jpg

This is the worst looking section. Farther out in the pic is the north end of the plot that was sprayed and that area looks perfect and ready to go.

10 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Do you have a problem with corn and beans being wiped out before season?

Beans and cow peas always get wiped out on our place. We had some laying around so decided to give it another try this year. This is the first year we have had any luck growing corn. Now that we have the planter I'd like to start using strips of it for screening more than anything. 

went to the camp a few hrs, so clover still good has to get sprayed for grass next week, the big n beasty is ok seems like a heavy rain or something happen an area in the plot grew nothing the rest of it seems good the plants are about two inches in two weeks i put some seed down of some throw tuff in grow stuff that had rye and ww, the biologic hot spot is doing very good germination across whole plot and some plants are 3inches or better in two weeks

I finished a 1/4 acre winter wheat / white clover plot today, over at my folks place, on a spot where I had turnips last year.   As usual, the deer never touched those until spring, when they finally dug and ate most of the bulbs.  That was the third time I tried turnips over there and it will also be the last, even though this ain't baseball.  

They really love the clover over there.   About a half hour after I finished the small new section up front this afternoon, (4) deer came out of the woods and started feeding on the mature sections further back.   There were two "shooters" for me in that group, including a thick-bodied, high-tined, but narrow-racked, most likely 2-1/2 year old buck.  

A thin 4-point 1-1/2 year old was hanging close to a medium-sized doe, that was probably his sister, on the other side of the plot.  She would be my second "shooter".  He would get a pass, unless I still have a buck tag on the last weekend of gun season.  A 6-point with tall brow-tines was hanging close to the 8, but he also would get a pass until the last weekend of gun season.  I spent about 1/2 hour observing those (4) deer with the binoculars.  Hopefully that 8-point hangs close until cross-bow season opens.  It would be ok if he gives those two smaller bucks the boot.             

This past weekend I planted all of our fall plots. Turners did not have any rape seed, so I just went a bit heavier on the PTTs and GHRs in those plots. So in total we have a bit over 5 acres planted this year. Most of out older plots that have been brassicas for a few years are in winter rye and landino clover now, with some in corn as well. Two big newer plots are in PTTs and GHRs and another small newer plot is in all GHR. I'll post pics when they start to germinate, which I'm hoping is soon with the expected rain this week. 

I just planted the trail plot behind the house and the horseshoe plot across the street in rye...going over to over seed with turnips......I need to go disc the lower field and plant the WW but that can wait a bit...I found some 18-20-10 fertilizer I had stored and that will go with the 15-15-15. I used 10-10-10 on what I did this morning...I sorely underestimated the amount of rye I needed I should have gone 80#'s not 50...so I may be buying more for the lower plots..I have the feild  and middle plots to do. The lane way and a bit of over seeding rye in the clover plot...I need some protection in there...

We need rain badly, hope it comes today and comes down hard. The ground all dried up and cracking. All my Brassica and bulb plantings germinated but now seem to be stunted in growth. The south end of one plot, my rutabaga is doing well, Beans getting hammered lol. This is where the thatch was thickest when i sprayed and rolled soybean seed in back in June. Gotta love leave the dead matter there for moisture help..

thumbnail_20170821_161621.jpg

thumbnail_20170821_162002.jpg

We need rain badly, hope it comes today and comes down hard. The ground all dried up and cracking. All my Brassica and bulb plantings germinated but now seem to be stunted in growth. The south end of one plot, my rutabaga is doing well, Beans getting hammered lol. This is where the thatch was thickest when i sprayed and rolled soybean seed in back in June. Gotta love leave the dead matter there for moisture help..
thumbnail_20170821_161621.jpg
thumbnail_20170821_162002.jpg

Looking good. Pouring here. Tornado watch in effect. Cmon rain, let our plot grow !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Cow..the Gator earned it's keep today...I went down re-disced everything and then came back and hooked up the spreader loaded all the fertilizer and seed...I laid down the fertilizer first and it was getting grey then I spread 50# of WW on the 1/4+ acre are I had left in the feild...went to the River's lane way and spread seed there . I heard thunder so took off for the middle plot towing the spreader behind fertilized and seeded that and the two trail plots...went back to the feild and hooked up the drag...by that time steel grey was looming and the gator was put through her paces...just as I finished the middle plot it let loose!...I quick ditched the drag getting soaked in the process got remaining seed tied up and in the gator with remaining fertilizer...in for lunch before a shower and off to do errands.. Just two little spots left and they can be done by hand...Oh and walking the clovers and turnips over the feild plot I just did and the middle plot and trails...Can't right now lightening and nasty looking out there...

Your plots look Great!

Eeeww this is scary..high winds all morning and now dead calm and no sound...not even the jaysI can hear the acorns dropping out of the oak out back......

OK I went down and over seeded everything I planted in grains yesterday...turnips and clovers. I took some pics..you wanted to see the shotplot or what ever it's called from TSC  here's some of it,  as well as the newly planted horseshoe or now tear drop plot and the oats alfalfa plot.  The one with Angel in the greens is the spring planted one. You can barely see where I mowed it last week! The tall plant in the brassica is that nasty Persian carpet weed.  Frost will kill it quick. problem is it sets billions of seed. Still the plot seed thrives.

All that said,  I planted that winter seed spring and summer because it was 8.00 a half acre and it has such a variety it fed and will feed them, but it will give me bedding cover...yes they will and are bedding in it and I kicked a huge flock of turkey out of the lower long plot of it...I added oats and more brassica to it as well.

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Stopped down to check the plots I planted last week. Things are germinating nicely. I can see turnips, radishes, rye and clover all coming up. The soil in the plots is still wet for the most part. If we get some rain Wednesday or Thursday like they are predicting, plus the heavy dew in the mornings we have been getting, they should all be green next weekend. 

The acorns and beech nuts are starting to fall here and there. Trees are loaded. I scouted out a couple of spots where I'm going to hang steps and brackets for my Millenium stand. I might go hang them tomorrow morning. 

IMG_9159.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

• Like 1

Looking great! Looks like you have pig nut in there too...I can not believe we are getting so many acorns this yaear after last seasons crop... plots look great...

Now you have any idea as a mod. how a post edited with no pics ended up with someone else's pictures pasted upside down in it?? Nice plots but not mine...lol

• Like 1

Man you can tell these beans plants are done growing. And putting there energy into the pods.. they are getting absolutely annihilated. I will have the fence up on at least 1 plot next year. For winter food. Rain is much needed .. my bean plots still only have small sprouts after being overseeded on the 7th of August.

Last pic is the part if the bag that dumped on the ground as I filled the spreader. I chose to let thebkawn at camp grow and only mow it like once every 2 months and man there is serious deer sign in there!9b914546f6ddeb4501b6b259c1795977.jpgae2a7e86315fa60c85d9aa393dab4b02.jpg056ab2409408a3113116e46b14a5f243.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

so yesterday checked stuff out the hot spot biologic is great about 4in high and  if the deer eat it this is great stuff, the big n beasty is doing well where it came up and the stuff i used to fill in the bald patches is coming up nicely. did one last plot of Backwoods throw and grow by evolved harvest, i think its mostly oats of some type so ill see what that does, and sprayed the grass in the clover.. Also got my first buck pics since June one 3yrold, two 2yrolds and one 1yr old. all within an hr of each other so im guessing a bachlor group, im guessing the cooler weather made them move a lil 

Well went to Oak flats plots to cut a few more trees...It's looking rather thin... hhhmmmm... Pulled card and now I know why...Who needs green...Actually the acorns are dropping big time down there and you can tell which trees the turkeys like best...the leaf litter around them is tore up!

I cut several trees that should have gone years ago... and used a rope and the gator winch to lay them down just where I wanted them ..except one...it was filled with grape vines and had an odd top...got all but a 1/2 in cut and went to winch it  ...snapped the rope...She stands straight as an arrow sitting on just one half in of wood...hope the winds tonight put her right...I'll check tomorrow, always one PITA...lol:rolleyes:

PICT0001 (23).JPG

PICT0005 (8).JPG

PICT0007 (8).JPG

• Like 1

Lots of doe n fawn in plot in day. Bucks at night. Too bad plot sucks. Timothy grass is 1" to 1.25" tall. Clover barely sprouted. Like it stalled out since two weeks ago. Sunlight lacking I think is main cause. It's attracting deer though. Scrubbed idea of putting second plot in this morning after seeing this. Did rake up a tiny area by blind and throw down some beans and raked in. We'll see. 70f0fb7286bf735c7c227e7a12ab2ca2.jpg369a815ce50062f58c8fb4b93eaca6a1.jpgdb8b5f345e88b0bc085d3e990c1cdb36.jpg6632a6458b03d4d6b80c302b76338920.jpg8c3a1a7b12116e850fb0adc1fcf4e4d2.jpgf751ad1146a87178d87391c15e1e7027.jpge02edadc77f085ab96646fe8a3f1caee.jpg569e5c3f25718c7945553bd805327ed0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1