Where are those plots?

Oh no another Murder plot! lol I
'm doing this with a ridge i have, planting it with Inner sanctum from GRO.com and attempting to make an apple and pear orchard, a couple of each with different varieties so they produce and drop at different times of the year. The soil is slightly drier up there but the pears planted last year are still green and alive. 

Nice, yea my apples have done very well for their first year in. Next year the plot will for sure be expanded. I also just planted winter rye oats and radish on the logging road leading to the plot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, land 1 said:

Thks just wondering my turnips went in 08/06 as of last week i had about 15in leaves and bulbs half the size of a baseball... think ill go a week or two earlier next year.. i used 19-19-19 when planted and when they got about 4in high used the same again. They look good but the bulbs arent nearly as big as yours...

I used triple 19 also when planted. Put brassicas in the same time last year. I've settled on mid July, cereal grains mid August. Of course I picked the biggest ones. Probably a little smaller might be better for deer to dig. You know what they say, "more than a mouthful is waste".

Thks just wondering my turnips went in 08/06 as of last week i had about 15in leaves and bulbs half the size of a baseball... think ill go a week or two earlier next year.. i used 19-19-19 when planted and when they got about 4in high used the same again. They look good but the bulbs arent nearly as big as yours...

Just remember the bigger the turnip bulb/tuber... the woodier they are. Meaning less palatable or desirable. Still edible but.. there is nothing wrong with baseball/softball size turnips.. perfect size IMO. They will still grow for a few weeks yet..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Holy crap has it been a lot of work and some failure but I have defeated my fern problem. I planted my brassicas and oats later then most Sept 1ish and they are rounding into shape with only heavy dew for the last 10 days. The plot is spotty but working including my Dad shooting his first deer with a bow in twenty years! It's also the first deer killed in my own property. My dad's excitement after seeing the food plot attracting deer was worth all the hard work. Including dragging his damn deer. Once again thanks for all the advice over the last year. I have learned a ton.

20170930_195505.jpg

20171001_105321.jpg

20171001_105317.jpg

• Like 7

nice job getting a deer on the plot.... Well from what im seeing on my trail cam my food plots and cutting of trees have improved the land... I have a good number of does daily on camera, I also got at least 4 decent bucks on camera not overly regular but they all seem to be around a couple times a week they showed up in late august early september. Last year at this time all i .had on camera was one group of does and two very small bucks never had one over 2 1/2 years old till oct 30th and that was very hit and miss . It might have alot to do with wild apples lots this year none last year.  

already got plans to drop another couple of acres of trees hinge cut smaller ones drop bigger trees start that towards the end of gun season and chip away through winter, the food and bedding these areas supply is great, and next year double the size of 3 of the 4 plots.... A few things I learned this year 1) if at all possible plant before a rain 2) get the weeds under control prior to planting 3) fertilize and lime 4)if planting spring clover get it in early as possible. 5)mow the clover  6) fertilize after your fall plots again after they get about 3 inches high.....

• Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 8:28 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I will likely never kill a deer in any of my food plots but there is a very rewarding feeling in seeing deer eating out of a good plot after the time and effort that goes into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. 99% of the time I dont hunt mine, Ill let my wife and kids. I just run cameras and watch them feast in it. And the feeling is awesome seeing them do what you wanted and intended them to do with all your efforts.  

• 2 weeks later...
how do they hit your guys winter wheat the hot spot mix had ww and the deer arn't  really into to everything else is getting hard, the ww just kinda gets nipped here and there

My deer are hammering my winter wheat. I've been hunting over my new plot a lot this year and from what I'm seeing, WW is a winner for me.
I had 10 days without rain after seeding WW, oats, turnips. Everything germinated well after the first bit of rain we got, and the morning dew helped get things started. But we went almost a month after that with no rain so everything kinda got stunted. But the WW has grown the tallest and thickest of the bunch. The deer are spending more time in the section of the field I did WW. Not to say they don't like the oats, but they just hang out and eat more in the WW. Turnips got stunted pretty good in most areas but some of it is coming up pretty good. Need a good freeze before they start tearing those up.

The nice thing about WW is that it grows anywhere. I work at a flour mill so we have millions of pounds of it and the stuff that's spilled outside grows all over the place. It is great late season and winter forage as well. When everything else turns brown and dead and the snow flys, deer will flock green anything fields.

i find it funny how every ones results differ on what the deer eat....The deer are hitting my small plots of oats pretty good and they are eating the brassica tops already to the point i dont know what will be left by mid november other then bulbs.... my winter www is lush and growing well and they nip it but not there favorite by a long shot... and the clover is still drawing the deer in... For my 1st year doing plots all is good will just tweek a few things next year...

IT is funny cause i have a lot of winterWheat planted into my plots to fill the bare and thin spots and the deer havent even touched it yet. Have eaten all the brassicas out of it and hitting the clovers well. The WW hopefully will get hit with colder weather.. otherwise it will just be my termination crop for spring. 

Again just to show how easy food plots can be. In first pic i sprayed this fallow field with GLY and about 11 days later before a decent rain I broadcast a brassica blend, 4 different clovers, chicory and alfalfa into short and thin standing RR soybeans. And let the rain do the rest. Early September broadcast WW @150lbs per acre into the plot.  Didn't roll or anything. I like this messy plot. 

2nd pic: I took 1/3 of an acre of my yard at camp and sprayed it with GLY. About 3 days later before a light rain, I broadcast Triticale @100lbs per acre and a big Clover blend of reds and whites as well and let the rain do the rest. Dead thatch keeps moisture in, in very dry conditions like we had in the Southern-tier after Early July and helps growing conditions greatly. No soil broken again this year.

3rd pic is a hybrid sorghum i planted for screening/bedding all around a plot behind my barn at camp to promote daylight activity. Between the screen and the abundance of apples, there is a ton of daylight activity here this year! Its on slightly poor soil and still broke 10' tall

4th pic is of most of the crab apple trees growth after one year.. Doing well!

20170927_165351.jpg

20170927_162056_002.jpg

20171012_173736.jpg

20170927_162707.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 5:34 PM, land 1 said:

I have found that the size bulbs you are getting are just about perfect. Once they get larger than baseball or softball size, they get pretty woody and the deer (at least on our place) dont eat them. They become a feast for the woodchucks and rabbits and then rot. 15" greens and smallish turnip bulbs are perfect in my eyes.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have found that the size bulbs you are getting are just about perfect. Once they get larger than baseball or softball size, they get pretty woody and the deer (at least on our place) dont eat them. They become a feast for the woodchucks and rabbits and then rot. 15" greens and smallish turnip bulbs are perfect in my eyes.

My turnips were planted July 15th, same as last year. Have bulbs of all sizes golf ball to a little bigger than softball. About an acre of them. I picked some of the biggest ones. We had a boiled dinner with corned beef, cooked some tender and good eating. 

I'm also in southern tier, near Avoca. I would like to do more no till planting. Right now we have been getting the land back in shape with lime and crops to build up the old hay lots.. 

• Like 3

Last years turnips were the size of my tea kettle...the deer hollowed every single one...the bigger they are the less effect the freezing temps have on them ..in other words they last longer into the winter even if the freeze then it gets warm...smaller ones turn to mush

3 minutes ago, growalot said:

Last years turnips were the size of my tea kettle...the deer hollowed every single one...the bigger they are the less effect the freezing temps have on them ..in other words they last longer into the winter even if the freeze then it gets warm...smaller ones turn to mush

We have never seen that happen. In previous years we have had turnips the size of volleyballs and basketballs (flattened out a bit of course), and they sit there pretty much untouched until they rot in the spring. The difference though, may be in the amount of AG we have in our area. The deer do not have any time where they dont have lots to eat. I know down your way there isnt as much AG going on anymore, so maybe the deer seek whatever forage is left in the plots.