Where are those plots?

On 10/16/2017 at 12:51 PM, land 1 said:

how do they hit your guys winter wheat the hot spot mix had ww and the deer arn't  really into to everything else is getting hard, the ww just kinda gets nipped here and there

I thought the WW would be the last thing the deer touch but that's where they spent there time last night. I have brassicas and oats in the same area but the oats are what they seem to be passing on so far.

Also the WW was planted a month after the others and half as tall.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, DDT said:

Me too. You must be our neighbor.

Seen these gates on 8 ?

IMG_20160827_183421660_HDR.jpg

They do not look familiar, the only gate I can picture at the moment that kind of looks like that is surrounded by poplar trees.  But I havent done any driving around in a few years now. Life has kept me quite busy lol. 

Despite planting 10 days later than I wanted too (finally planted around Sept 10), overall my foodplots are doing OK. More importantly, there is a fair amount of deer tracks running through and along the edges of the foodplots. I had a nagging fear that I was putting in too much and taking away bedding area, but I don't think that will be the case. Here are a few random pics I took while doing some final tuneups on my hunting stands. It will be interesting to see which blends end up working out the best

IMG_20171020_123323.jpg

IMG_20171020_140501.jpg

IMG_20171020_154337.jpg

• Like 1

Well I have seen negitive reviews of chicory in northern states but from the pictures above I see different. Most of this was eaten in the last two weeks. Clover and oats haven't been touched but chicory and brassicas are crushed already. 80% of my brassicas were eaten in one week right after the first hard frost. Bear, turkey, deer seem to enjoy. Whitetail Extreme if anyone was wondering.

Screenshot_2017-10-23-18-52-48.png

20171020_171826.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, DDT said:

Me too. You must be our neighbor.

Seen these gates on 8 ?

IMG_20160827_183421660_HDR.jpg

Just noticed you said "8", lol I dont travel that road very often. A friend of mine owns on 8. And i bet your close to him by the looks of those surroundings, and your number. I used to Turkey hunt at the top of 8. I now hunt on Stryker, but also own/hunt about 2 miles straight south on Hemlock closer to 390.  Dont think we are too far apart lol

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just noticed you said "8", lol I dont travel that road very often. A friend of mine owns on 8. And i bet your close to him by the looks of those surroundings, and your number. I used to Turkey hunt at the top of 8. I now hunt on Stryker, but also own/hunt about 2 miles straight south on Hemlock closer to 390.  Dont think we are too far apart lol

Haven't seen many turkeys there. Planted sunflowers and millet that may entice them to hang out.

Our woods are kind of a funnel area between open field and the road.

Hope some deer start moving in the daylight this week. 

I have a nephew who lives on Hemlock just south of Fritz Hill. We had a drop time buck last year that we saw before, during and after season last year. I was looking at pictures of my nephews this year and he has him there now. Maybe a mile away. Much nicer this year. 

This year pic. Then last year pic.

6574.jpeg

IMG_20170108_195727098.jpg

• Like 1

What a toad! That drop is crazy! Ive seen some dandies on Stryker. The piece I hunt goes from Hemlock(where the sharp 90 turn is) over to Stryker, and North near Fritz Hill.  Does he live in one of those 3/4 houses? Sounds like we hunt close or the same property. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

What a toad! That drop is crazy! Ive seen some dandies on Stryker. The piece I hunt goes from Hemlock(where the sharp 90 turn is) over to Stryker, and North near Fritz Hill.  Does he live in one of those 3/4 houses? Sounds like we hunt close or the same property. 

Looks like you may get a chance at seeing that Buck too. Nephew is in the house just north of the bend on east side. (Only house between bend and Fritz). That pic was taken right in the field behind his house, backs up to woods you hunt then. Small world!

We'll have to meet sometime.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DDT said:

Looks like you may get a chance at seeing that Buck too. Nephew is in the house just north of the bend on east side. (Only house between bend and Fritz). That pic was taken right in the field behind his house, backs up to woods you hunt then. Small world!

We'll have to meet sometime.

IT sure is, the same property! Lol. I been meaning to check in, and possibly meet him this year, Landowner said he gave him permission to hunt the field or something of the sort. I went to trim shooting lanes for my stands and one was all trimmed out already. Lol. I'm guessing it was him then. I wanna get some plots into that field next year and get on the same page with him hopefully.  And make it a kick ass piece of property to hunt.

Bit of a summery...turnips were nearly a complete fail for what I wanted...This said they did great in the shot plot and are still doing great. All the rest were either ruled out before root growth or were stunted. The very early pure oats did what I wAnted and produced seed..but never dried down the turkey found them OK but preferred the clovers...deer are eating the seed heads now that green is too tough..but the needs are many. I  love the shot plot they hit grab a early ..then that provided cover the Braddock grew great and now the clovers are all over in itchy some of my worst weed growth down significantly. Now the WW/clover/Brassica plot Non stop mowing..it has had nearly no chance to grow, never got higher than 3 ". WR they haven't hit too much and is  too tall ,laying over. This I know will get hit when snow falls...It will have most growth. The alfalfa...Well the oats grew too well, 4ft tall.  They may have killed some of that back due to the beds they made in it.

Wow I was on the Kindle and re read it all before posting..Apparently the kindle had other ideas...Holy cow! Well most of it came up correctly ...So you get the gist of it...I'm thinking lots more beans early next season  then a whole lot more WW...I have to see if any of the over seeded clovers do well in the spring..Definitely I am going to need to drop a whole lot more PK...I will but don't really need to test..with the weather and soil types, then seeing the farmers with tons and tons of it piled on their fields to be spread  a lot of leaching has occurred. They are hitting fields with that and lime. these 2 are usually not that "mobile"  in soils they tend to bind.  We have sandy loams in certain areas and when you add a lot of rain that changes what is in the upper root zone levels for many plants... This will show up in such things as grains and turnips, potatoes ..even corns...Tests should be interesting this spring.

Edited by growalot