Where are those plots?

Section of the field that I did spray about 2 weeks ago but the sprayer was acting up and I never did the rest of the field. Shows the big difference between spraying and not spraying. I could drag this area with my spike tooth drag harrow to smooth it out and plant it as is. But since my neighbor needs to keep discing the rest of the field I won't Seed this area as he will probably drive all over it making more passes.
86b1d5baa813d094c68cb78bfa4d969b.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sethf11 said:

Please post a pic or send it to me in the messenger. I'm very interested to see how it is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is Biologic clover I planted in spring. I did manage to drag a rotitiller back here but just threw down then I raked it in and let Mother Nature do its thing. Not the best but it's showing 

IMG_1856.JPG

• Like 2

OK, Again just like clovers,not all rye grass is the same. HS and Italian rye grass are excellent and not persistent nor prone to crowding. Actually used as a cover crop. I will post links to reading up on these tomorrow. I have used italian/ HS Ryes serveral times over the years.

Still not on the pc and will give links later learning is never a bad thing:wink:

This is why I provide links ,so guys do not have to take my word for things,but read what people in the agricultural field say. Read discriptions on how to manage different plantings and their bennifits in not only the short but long term as well.

Edited by growalot

LOL actually not, for there is much more out there and I couldn't find some of the better ones that I learned from before planting them. I've used HS /Italian ryes often and actually talked about them here over the years. They did not persist...in fact sorta wish they had. They do not handle cold frost heaving grounds and that is what we have...much snow cover in very cold temps are need to insulate them in the northern parts of the country. This said they need to be pure Italian ryes and certain HS ryes. Not some of the newer hybrids bred with perennial ryes to increase winter hardiness. They do not die off in frosts..but will be lost to persistent and long cold winters..they do not head out too early to be mowed out in spring before a heading. Deer love it turkey love it and yes great as cover for clovers and other legumes especially in spring plantings wonderful for first time trail plantings  for many  reasons. High nutrients for the wild life. So no not all ryes are the same and there are many.

Edited by growalot

so got to camp and checked the two plots i planted last week the hot spot mixed with a touch of big and beasty really looks good , the big and beasty plot looks ok, some spots dosn't seem like i got good germination, some one was asking about the hot spot so far results look great but i did not just throw the seed down and walk away , ground was tilled up fertilizer applied and lime, then ran over with wheeler to get the seeds in good contact with soil. the clover plot is going to have to get sprayed for grasses, not bad yet just dont want it to get out of hand

• Like 1

so got to camp and checked the two plots i planted last week the hot spot mixed with a touch of big and beasty really looks good , the big and beasty plot looks ok, some spots dosn't seem like i got good germination, some one was asking about the hot spot so far results look great but i did not just throw the seed down and walk away , ground was tilled up fertilizer applied and lime, then ran over with wheeler to get the seeds in good contact with soil. the clover plot is going to have to get sprayed for grasses, not bad yet just dont want it to get out of hand

How much did you till? Did you actually disk it or just loosen it all up with a rake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the farm yesterday to check cams. The corn is looking pretty good considering it went in pretty late. It varies between waist and chest high. The beans are there, but the deer have been hammering them. The fall plots are all tilled and will be planted this weekend weather permitting. 

IMG_9086.JPG

IMG_9087.JPG

• Like 4

Hemlock JUST got their WR in but it wasn't bagged yet...He said don't ask me for rape or radish....he's had a run on them ....he knew I was in for the grains.. So because they got like a 1-2 ton bag of WR in today they hadn't had time to bag it yet...did pick up the 2 bags of WW for 9.00 a bag with a couple of bags of  triple 15 and 2# of regular ladino...Holy Cow...could not see out the windshield with the wipers about to fly off they were so high...I'm surprised I didn't hear a flash flood warning...just an amber alert today. It is going to be a while before it's dry enough to plant again...We won't have to worry about dry soils this year...but I'm really thinking we will need to worry about an early frost and even an early snowfall. I'm seeing some funky stuff in the plant and even the bug world right now. Unless there is a real "indian summer" which I'm thinking there won't be get your winter preping done early this year...I hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I went to the farm yesterday to check cams. The corn is looking pretty good considering it went in pretty late. It varies between waist and chest high. The beans are there, but the deer have been hammering them. The fall plots are all tilled and will be planted this weekend weather permitting. 

IMG_9086.JPG

IMG_9087.JPG

How many acres of corn and beans do you plant?

17 hours ago, growalot said:

Hemlock JUST got their WR in but it wasn't bagged yet...He said don't ask me for rape or radish....he's had a run on them ....he knew I was in for the grains.. So because they got like a 1-2 ton bag of WR in today they hadn't had time to bag it yet...did pick up the 2 bags of WW for 9.00 a bag with a couple of bags of  triple 15 and 2# of regular ladino...Holy Cow...could not see out the windshield with the wipers about to fly off they were so high...I'm surprised I didn't hear a flash flood warning...just an amber alert today. It is going to be a while before it's dry enough to plant again...We won't have to worry about dry soils this year...but I'm really thinking we will need to worry about an early frost and even an early snowfall. I'm seeing some funky stuff in the plant and even the bug world right now. Unless there is a real "indian summer" which I'm thinking there won't be get your winter preping done early this year...I hope I'm wrong

He's getting a shipment of rape and radish in soon. Talked to him yesterday afternoon. I'll be down buying my stuff this weekend. 

16 hours ago, corydd7 said:

How many acres of corn and beans do you plant?

This year we did an acre of each. One 1/2 acre plot of beans (got wiped out by the neighbors cows when they were out for 5 or 6 days) and then the other 1/2 acre of beans strip planted into 2 corn/bean plots. All of the corn (3 plots) has been doing well. We just got ahold of a planter this year so we are experimenting. 

• Like 1