Where are those plots?

I chased the turkeys out of my field a few times over the last couple weeks. I think they got ahold of wheat mostly. But I overseeded that heavy as hell because I kind of expected them to roll in. Crows and geese were picking at it something fierce for a bit there too.

On a side note, the apple trees on the south end of my food plot have been just crazy with deer all over them. I need to get a seclusion cage up this week but I don't think they are nibbling on what's growing in the field so far. Apples seem to have their full attention. Caught a pic of my one 6 pointer with a big ol apple in his mouth haha
493c1c524c5b332ffc899610aa3f5558.jpg

• Like 3

A little bit on a small 1/2 acre soybean plot i planted.. 

Planted June, 3rd. My homemade Deer Repellent of Irish spring soap hung 24" off the ground and Pie tins double hung to clash together in the breeze. This let the beans get to as tall as they are in the First pic, I pulled the stuff down a week or two before that picture was taken. 2nd picture taken a month later. This half of the plot did the best and id say for a month time of not being "protected" they did well... Not much left of them now.. lol. They have gotten a ton of attention since.. all day long everyday. This plot is only 40 yards from my camp.

My over-seeding of DeerAg brassicas 8/7 didn't take to well due to such dry ground and lack of following rains, even though we got a 1/4" of rain the night i seeded, they didnt do anything. 

The tree standing in the last picture behind the doe will have a branch off an apple tree they chew and rub on attached for a mock scrape set up.... soon lol

IMG_0163.JPG

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

They sure did, which I kind of expected. I should have not removed the "fake fence" until the beginning of September. But i got to carried away wanting to get buck pics. Id get a few deer in them here or there and the beans could hold there own. Soon as the "noise" was gone, every deer buck or doe and their families found them lol. I have 2 electric fences for next year now. Leave one plot for summer food and the others will be Winter food. they held up decent i think. especially for $36/bag.   

Sure can, We went from an abundance of rain from spring into summer. July came and it got dry in Steuben county. The ground was cracked when I over-seeded some Brassicas beginning of August.

This is the reason i like to use no till methods. I use no till and cover crops, the dead decaying cover crops protect the soil from the sun in dryer conditions like this. And also helps hold whatever moisture is in the ground much longer than open/exposed/tilled soil. Every part of my plots that have a heavier dead duff layer on the soil surface have better growing plants. 

• Like 1

I mentioned I planted the oats early for a few reasons... the turkey and they have headed out ,I was working out in the garden and had turkey sounding off where I just put the new stand...they are hitting those acorns. They will be hitting the left over corn in the garden and the oats as they dry...I also planted alfalfa and clover I wanted protected...That may back fire a bit...Same oats but these went a tad crazy over all the others...WAY taller crazy thick and very wide bladed....This is around the old goat paddock ...I had soybeans get 39 inches tall there one year and last years turnips were the size of my tea kettle.. Then the deer...Well I knew they would browse a while on them but what I wanted was bedding......they have eaten "holes " in the plot but realized, hey flatten these down and they make a right comfy bed....It was a bit smaller Thursday morning...but they needed more room last night...right up near the barn.

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

9 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Big shout out to Wolc! Although we often disagree he gave me some awesome advice on the fishing line and it gave a few of my plots a chance to finally take hold after severe over browse. Thanks again Wolc!
af833438904efcb1e76cdcdb9ea38997.jpg0bd217bd9e13a0c5aaaa18408da43fb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad to hear that still works.  It has been a few years, but maybe I will try planting some pumpkins again next spring.  I will definitely have some old line to replace.  A big king just broke off on us, a couple weeks ago, so it is time for some new stuff.   Do you have one of them little jacks for pulling the t-posts ?  They work awesome.

My fall plots are totally unprotected, but are looking pretty good in spite of the lack of rain over the last couple weeks and some decent browse pressure.   There seems to be enough dew every morning to keep things growing.   The deer are grazing the winter wheat pretty heavy, but it is keeping up and about 6" tall.  Unfortunately, I did not have any leftover soybeans to throw in with the wheat/clover mix this year, but they are still hitting those plots pretty hard right now.  My late July planted turnip plot is not getting any pressure yet, but doing very well and about a foot tall. 

The warm weather is really putting some tonnage on the field corn plots, with most of the ears about doubling in size over the last two weeks.  So far I have taken 7 coons and 3 possoms off them, and am headed out now to set some more traps for the weekend.   There should be more than enough food back there to keep plenty of deer around until Christmas or so.          

• Like 1

ll checked out the property the hot spot plot is getting mowed down by the deer the big an beasty has got bulbs the size of baseballs and in last week is doing great the clover plot looks better then it has all year but the deer arnt hitting it like they did earlier in the year but im gussing change of taste the oats and mixed blend i put in late is also getting hit hard all in all good results for first year big and beasty i would say 15in and getting eaten but not hard the hot spot is getting hit hard and will be gone by november 1st the clover great but not gettimg hit much 

Shot of the murder plot from above, soon to be mini apple orchard. Needs some weeding but clover did come in nicely through some winter rye seeds all along the muddy logging road leading to the plot

94748183797ac787ba929af053f6bafe.jpg&key=bf84e2e1091576fb4741aa79b988473c96111037ef1b7ba83b9dfacfb5571325
Not sure who you hired to grade this plot. I'd fire him and his crew.

Next time you should dig a trench drain and help drain it lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 9/24/2017 at 9:41 AM, chefhunter86 said:

Shot of the murder plot from above, soon to be mini apple orchard. Needs some weeding but clover did come in nicely through some winter rye seeds all along the muddy logging road leading to the plot

94748183797ac787ba929af053f6bafe.jpg

Oh no another Murder plot! lol I

'm doing this with a ridge i have, planting it with Inner sanctum from GRO.com and attempting to make an apple and pear orchard, a couple of each with different varieties so they produce and drop at different times of the year. The soil is slightly drier up there but the pears planted last year are still green and alive. 

• Like 1

Thks just wondering my turnips went in 08/06 as of last week i had about 15in leaves and bulbs half the size of a baseball... think ill go a week or two earlier next year.. i used 19-19-19 when planted and when they got about 4in high used the same again. They look good but the bulbs arent nearly as big as yours...