22mag or a 17?

After seeing Airedales sweet 22mag it reminded me that I "need" a new tractor gun with more range than a 22lr but not as much power and noise as my 223 or 222. I have a few 22mags and it's one of my favorite cartridges, 10/22mag savage 22mag model 43 I think, single shot handi rifle, Henry lever and a Ruger American. They all are ok the American being by far the best shooter but I like having an auto or pump for tractor work because usually they are running. The 10/22mag is worth to much to get beat around and never has shot that good, the Henry is ok but too pretty to get beat around and I don't love lever guns.

I have looked at the A17 savage and that seems ok although I'm not a big fan of new savages. I really like the idea of the Remington 597 like Airedales and they seem pretty cheap. I don't own a 17 and have never really thought I needed one but is it any better than a 22mag for wood chucks and the occasional coyote or fox. Ammo seems to be about the same in availability and price so that's not really a factor.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At ranges under 125 yards it is probably a wash...

At ranges from 125 to an honest 200 yards the 17 HMR has a definite advantage on game up to the size of foxes, although it may be a tad light for coyotes...

Personally, I would give the A17 a long look for a truck/tractor gun...

• Like 2

Savage / Hornady has a newer 17 out there. In the Savage 25 and on my to pick up list the 17 Hornet.  Getting good from what I have read so far. Ammo is a bit pricey in comparison. 

Just saw your last post. I guess since you want to be boring I'd get the 17...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Neighbor has the 17A.  Thing is a tac driver.  

Ive got a savage bolt, and ive tried a few different rounds. The 17A shoots best out of mine.  

Shot tons of critters with my Ruger 22m. Great cartridge.  But I'd give a slight edge to the 17hmr.

I don't know why I even posted the question there is a 99% chance I end up with both what's 2 more when you already have way too many.

I have wanted the 17a since it came out but have kept coming up with reasons why I didn't need it or another gun popped up.

• Like 2

I suspect that with the fast burning powders that are PROBABLY  used int he 17 HMR ( I am only guessing here) that the velocity loss would not be that much...The advantage of the 17 over the 22mag at longer ranges is due to higher velocity, however, with equal barrel lengths I suspect the 17 will still have the advantage at longer ranges..Also, the .22 mag has never been noted for gilt edged accuracy, while all of the 17 HMRs I have shot have been tack drivers..

• Like 1

I am a BIG fan of the .22 mag for varmint hunting using the V-max bullets:

22wmr30vmaxhornady-50-3.jpg

amm-022-50_1.jpg

But I gotta tell you I would be looking at the .17 WSM for my next rim fire Varmint Rifle. Ballistics are awesome, Reviews are good and the only thing holding me back from owning one is the fact semi-autos are not readily available at a working mans price, and I am not looking to re-mortgage the house.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't know why I even posted the question there is a 99% chance I end up with both what's 2 more when you already have way too many.

I have wanted the 17a since it came out but have kept coming up with reasons why I didn't need it or another gun popped up.

I like you thinking.  

To add to Pygmy, I also say up to 50 yards advantage 22mag. 50 to 125 yards it's even but I'll still give the 17HMR an advantage for accuracy. 125 yards plus it's all 17.

I had a savage in 17.I did like it but I  traded it because it was a pain in the a.. To clean...First I had to go and get all new cleaning stuff rod and jags... The barrel is so tiny it was a wrestling match... I traded the gun for a 20 gauge and never looked back... I own a 22mag semi and bolt And happy with both...

The 17 HMR cartridge has been problematic when chambered in an autoloader, both Remington and Ruger tried and opted out after having problems with case head fractures, I believe those rifles were and are on recall for a buy back.

Savage claims to have solved the problem with a delayed blowback action. Volquartsen makes an auto loader that is top of the line in quality and accuracy but pricey. I believe Henry did make a 17 HMR pump rifle and a lever also.

I have a 17 HMR in the Ruger 77 sporter, picked it up when they first came out and it held up to all the pre sales hype and even exceeded expectations for me, It is a tad more accurate than my other Ruger 77 chambered in 22 mag which I attribute to the very precisely manufactured ammo more than anything else. 

I have taken quite a bit more game with the 22 mag than with the HMR, from what i have experienced they are both good killers on Chucks, Fox and Coyotes out to 100 yards. With the 22 mag's heavier bullets I hear an audible smack and  they will pretty much drop in their tracks, with the HMR I get a few runners but they don't go far, one Coyote had to be recovered by one of my dogs as he traveled around 100 yards into heavy brush. The HMR is very fur friendly in that the bullet does not exit on Fox and Coyote putting only a small entry hole in the hide.

In the end it is one of those apple oranges comparisons, on Chucks, Fox and Coyote they are pretty much equal out to the slightly over 100 yard range, when the targets become more distant and  small as in squirrel or crows for example the HMR will have an edge because of it's flat trajectory and slight accuracy edge. Chambered in a quality rifle you will not go wrong with either.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

When I did a lot of woodchuck hunting I bought a savage 22mag bolt gun to use on chucks when the grass got too high to shoot my 22-250. I did not like the 22mag on chucks I was killing more with my 22lr than with the mag. so I up graded to a 22 hornet. I do have a 17 hmr and have kill critters up to the size of coyotes all 1 shot kills. As for the 17 being a 200yd weapon I would keep it south of 125yds just because on paper it may be a 200 yarder it doesn’t  mean it is in real life hunting.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind the pointed bullets plastic or what ever go right threw thin skinned animals as fox and woodchucks without little or any expansion with the more power you put behind them.

I wish I saved an artical in one of the preditor hunting mags. It was a good artical  where they tested many rounds threw a few popular rifles , it wound up that the old fasioned round nose bullets dropped more fox and chucks then the newer pointed bullets .My Ruger M77 in 22mag. Has proven that with plane jane remy. round nose ammo . never had to shoot anything over 100 yards.If I did have to I would use my .Tripple Duce or my .243.                           

16 minutes ago, thphtm said:

One thing to keep in mind the pointed bullets plastic or what ever go right threw thin skinned animals as fox and woodchucks without little or any expansion with the more power you put behind them.

That is weird. I have read numerous articles that say the opposite. The ballistic tip 17's going into the animals, releasing all energy and not making it back out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Have you seen the reviews and ballistics on the 17 Hornet?

been so busy i haven't really kept up on things, so no i haven't.  with hunting legislation, local deer stuff, and then projects around the house i'm not spending money to find out.... that could be good depending on how you look at it i guess.

• Like 1

Do not overlook the .22 Hornet. It can be loaded up or down to accommodate any legal target you might encounter from a tractor-seat. Add to that some good optics and a bipod to stabilize the gun on the hood of the tractor, and pretty much any kind of legal varmint that you can see can be put down with that rig.

• Like 1