Just one more......treestand

Robhuntandfish

i have a ton of spots prepared for my climber.  i almost always use that.  too many people scout me more than the deer.  i use a rope style tree strap that's easy to work up the tree with me as i climb.  each section connected, me to the top and top to the bottom, so i'll never lose one.  i've learned to climb slow anyway.  it's quieter and i don't start to over heat and sweat.

• Like 1

110 acres, 6 ladder stands, 2 wooden/handmade, 2 hang on,2 mobile blinds on trailers, 3 blinds

80 acres. 2 hang on, 1 blind

75 acres. 4 ladder stands, 2 handmade, 2 hang ons.

40 acres. 2 ladder stands, 1 blind

For all the above I also have a climber and two pop up blinds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 7/26/2017 at 9:43 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

80 huntable acres.

0 treestands.

1 actual ground blind.

2 makeshift blinds with camp tarp/sticks/branches/etc.

Rest of the spots are sit on the ground with either a big tree behind you or stone wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz, Are you afraid of heights? JC, I love stand hunting, the view is usually awesome to just take it all in. Being on ground level eye to eye is a blast too..

Biz, Are you afraid of heights? JC, I love stand hunting, the view is usually awesome to just take it all in. Being on ground level eye to eye is a blast too..

Nah. Until I xbow hunted I only gun hunted so being the ground is way better. Many deer I killed is because I needed to move 5-10yds to get a better shot. Can't do that from treestand. I been in treestands years ago and had deer walk right under me, it was weird and not much fun. So when I started xbow hunting I just kept the same technique but did add a ground blind to my repertoire. If I get a compound I'll stick with same style. Ground blind or big tree or rock wall behind me.

I have 15 stands and 2 ground blinds across 150 acres. I use probably 1/3-1/2 of them each year. the rest only get checked for safety and left alone for the year usually. I am going to hopefully build an enclosed box blind for my wife and kids next year. 

I have one climber that has been used a few times.  Bought a ladder stand for my buddies area out east.  We typically set up about 10 stands and have about 10 that we leave in the woods year round probably about 7-8 properties.  I am trying to get my buddy to set up now but he always waits till 2 weeks before the season. 

Be safe!  Setting up stands and climbing into our stands is the time we are most likely to get hurt!  Use a life line!!!  We had one of our friendly PETA people cut the safety harness on one stand a few years back and the guy broke his leg in 3 places, always check your stands when getting into them in the dark!  

Personally I love to still hunt so after the first few days in stand I do what Biz does and also like to stalk when hunting presser is low.  

• Like 1

70 acres= 1 ladder stand
                  one natural ground blind
                    occasional use of climber

Tf, imagine all those booner bucks you aren't seeing just by sitting in 1 stand!? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Tf, imagine all those booner bucks you aren't seeing just by sitting in 1 stand!? Lol

But a booner doesn't count if you cheat by killing it from a treestand. It's like stocking a record LM in your pool and then catching it.

But a booner doesn't count if you cheat by killing it from a treestand. It's like stocking a record LM in your pool and then catching it.

Dont be jealous of his booners. I thought it was kind of like paying someone else to do your scouting just to kill something, then enter it?? Guess Im wrong again...

16 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ya but with only one I can't question "am I sitting in the right one today?"

I think the location for the one is the best location I could put one. The ground blind location we built is pretty good too.

• Like 1

Dont be jealous of his booners. I thought it was kind of like paying someone else to do your scouting just to kill something, then enter it?? Guess Im wrong again...

This is why hunting should be illegal and will be within 100 years.

Ya but with only one I can't question "am I sitting in the right one today?"
I think the location for the one is the best location I could put one. The ground blind location we built is pretty good too.

I Was just messing with you as sir
. Myself I'd probably have way to many stand setups like I already do here lol

• Like 1

Wow , treeguy you got it covered, sounds great.  love to have options for different winds and trails!   
Yea, I have a few dollars in stands... My father is the worst (his were counted too) as everytime we are at the 110 acre farm, yup that would be a great tree for....and that one ....and thats a good spot for a blind and and and. That's why we did mobile blinds on trailers this year, so we can hook it up to tractor and take it wherever the deer are hanging out !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The 11 stands on my SIL's property mostly get used by me . Depends on the wind direction as to which one I use . Sometimes one or two of my sons hunt with me so we can cover different areas . 

There is a location where I wanted to put up a tri-pod stand but it is in a wet area and not sure how stable I could make it even using 2X8's under the legs . Plus it's so wet now that it is close to impossible to get the parts into that area . 

Have a spot not so conducive for a ladder stand so thinking this set up. It's going to be tight quarters gun hunting with the handgun probably ideal for this particular spot. After almost all of my hunting from trees has been ladder stand or climber I'm thinking this tandem. Any thoughts. And boy , prices so much better here than Cabela's 761c71e8c1d6d1fb48abe404361b91ed.jpga395c87d11f9fe52c3fd82006166ed6e.jpg
Not a fan of idea of climbing pegs and lock on looks pretty comfy for long sits. This will be my 2nd permanent stand and not looking to drop a bunch of $

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Just make sure you add a chain of your own as well with a heavy C link...I make sure the links on the chain are big enough to put a screw in tree step... this assures no rides down the tree and gives you a place to hang pack packs or calls one on either side.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:50 AM, moog5050 said:

Good call.  I made the mistake my first season of not attaching the harness to the tree while climbing and slid down a shag bark tree about 10'.  I nice pucker moment.

i did that years ago in a TSS climber, had to shimmy down the tree. 

23 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have a spot not so conducive for a ladder stand so thinking this set up. It's going to be tight quarters gun hunting with the handgun probably ideal for this particular spot. After almost all of my hunting from trees has been ladder stand or climber I'm thinking this tandem. Any thoughts. And boy , prices so much better here than Cabela's 761c71e8c1d6d1fb48abe404361b91ed.jpga395c87d11f9fe52c3fd82006166ed6e.jpg
Not a fan of idea of climbing pegs and lock on looks pretty comfy for long sits. This will be my 2nd permanent stand and not looking to drop a bunch of $

That stand looks identical to mine. Very comfortable.  Mine came with climbing sticks. I hat sticks. Got ladder as you did. Problem is, and this is even with the sticks, getting in and out. With ladder or sticks on same tree stand is in it is almost imposabe to get from stand to ladder or from ladder to stand. At least I have not found it easy. I made hooks for top of ladder to hang on front or side of stand. If I can find a good spot where 2 trees are very close together I put stand in one and ladder on other then just step over to stand. Other wise use modified hooks for hanging ladder. The cushion on mine is 4 inches thick. It is like sitting in my recliner at home. Can sit without moving all day with no discomfort. I have screwed up back and usually have to adjust me position many times while is other stands. Not in this. It is also very light and easy to transport and hang by myself. I added a recent strap to bottom of stand to help hold to tree. The chain at tops works OK but I never felt safe enough with just that. No real way to cinch chain tight. Just snug and hook. Mine didn't feel very stable with just that. You should be very pleased with how comfy it is.

• Like 1