Need a York Rake

I am working on clearing an over grown field to put in a new food plot. I have access to a 4 wd tractor, and I brush cut it but I need to get all the cut waste removed before I hit it with roundup. I have a roto tiller for the tractor but I didn't want to till in all that weed brush.  I was hoping to rent/borrow a york rake to drag all the crap off the plot. Does any one in the Clarence/ WNY area have a york rake or know where I can rent one? Last year I did a smaller plot and tried to hand rake the debris of the plot and it was ridiculously difficult! It took me hours and I had blisters for weeks! I'm not doing that again. Thanks for the help/info.

Just give it 2 weeks then spray it. Some people might not recommend this but I've taken a fallow field and dropped the brush hog nearly to the ground and gone over it twice. Works about the same as your rake would. Spray it in 2 weeks.Then till it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Check your yellow pages or the internet for a local equipment rental store.

Just going to say this   Tractor supply rent ? There's a place on Broadway in Depew near Penora ( just west of Dairy Queen) that rents odd things  It may be called Taylor Rental I think

• Like 1

Do you have a chain harrow drag? I just did the lower plots and had al ot of green material that I disced in...I went down the next day with the teeth down on the drag to lay in fertilizer and lime and to up root any missed plants...I then turned the drag over teeth up and after seeding dragged it again... this rolled all of the plant litter into nice little piles that fell away as I contintued to drag...I left a lot of little roled up weed bundles but cleaned the soil  so they couldn't re-root. We have a york rake but I only use it for rocking in the spring

If you are north of the escarpment, then rocks should not be an issue and truckersdaddy's suggestion would work ok.  Just go over it a few times with the bushhog to chop everything up fine, then till it in.

A spring harrow is good for taking out weeds from previously tilled soil, but not so hot at ripping out roots from untilled ground.   It might work for raking off brush, but would be a pain to clear, unlike a york rake, which would quickly dump clean at the end of every pass.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I ran the brush hog over the area again today and tried to drag the bucket to try to get some of the heavy stuff off. I'll spray it with round up as soon as I can get a couple of days with out rain. It was nice and dry last week when I first cut it but we got a lot of rain since. There's standing water all over today!

IMG_20170724_133408992.jpg

• Like 1

I had a York rake, and we tried using it the way you are talking about. It did not work for us at all. It would get clogged up within just a few feet and then everything else would just go under the mini brush pile it was pulling around, and get missed anyhow. Now we just put the brush hog on the ground, chop it up as best we can and till it in after that. We walk around and grab the bigger stuff that doesn't till in. After a couple of years any woody stuff is gone. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...