Gander Mt sharpening their prices

airedale

I have a hand cocking trap machine that I have been using for years and while it works ok it can not be operation by a single person for shooting alone, so in order to do some shooting two people are needed. So I decided that I would look into a battery powered electric model that could be loaded up with a stack of clay birds and operated alone if need be. After doing a little research the wheely bird auto feed trap machine seemed to be about what I wanted to pay and was well regarded in the reviews written from folks that actually purchased one. I came within an eyelash of ordering it a couple of days ago from Amazon whose price was good but held off and decided I would wait until the first of next month to make the buy. 

Well I hit the local Gander Mountain in Cicero to see what was left and how their pricing was in the final count down. Found they had the Wheely Birds in stock, not only was their regular price of $250 better than Amazon's but their out the door price was 100 bucks more off for a selling price of $149, it was my lucky day for a change!

Al

2017-07-23_193642.png

• Like 5

i already hit that the closest one to me hard.  i'd be afraid to go back! lol  that's a heck a deal though.  some of their prices before discounts were alright and some seemed markedup.  i feel like things that were bigger or would have less wide spread demand had the best pricing.  a lot of outdoors run of the mill stuff wasn't really much of a deal at all.

When Gander Mountain first opened shop in this area it was by far my favorite store to visit, I was well acquainted with their merchandise as I frequently ordered for many years from their mail order catalog  so it was great to see all that stuff as they say "in the flesh"!

As I was walking around yesterday it was kind of sad to see it's demise unfolding before my eyes, empty shelving, the once impressive firearms display nearly empty, untidy merchandise rummaged through, employees just going through the motions looking like zombies. Nothing like the jam packed store that opened some years ago with just about any item an outdoor sportsman could want. Small boats and motors, atvs, furniture, camping equipment were among the items that went by the wayside in favor of filling the store with more clothing which has a much higher profit margin. 

What it came down to was their pricing which was not competitive at all, I looked at a pair of cargo pants yesterday very similar to the ones I was wearing that were marked down 40% off the regular price and they were still $15 more than I paid. Just one more example from a year or so ago I saw their Ruger 1911 45 acp was priced $100 more than my new favorite store "Running's" every day price on the same exact model which is not chump change. Even their own T shirts with the Gander Mountain's logo or advertising were priced way to high, those should have been sold at cost for free advertising! Having worked in the sporting goods business myself I know the big outfits all pretty much pay the same price for their merchandise but Gander Mountain refused to sharpen their prices and get competitive and paid the price.

Don't know a thing about the new outfit Camping World but wish them the best and hope they can compete.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Belo said:

Stopped by Henrietta today. Only 15 days left and it's slim pickings. A few long guns and no pistols. Still some decent ammo available and I bought a pair of those thermacell heated feet things for $55.

Those things are awesome. Grab some xtra batteries and you have toasty toes all day long. Ice fishing also.  You will love them on those..Special..Days  

I stopped at Gander last Friday. The discounts still aren't that great. I saw a few items that I had been watching that all of a sudden had "original" price tags on them, whereas they never had them in the past. Then they took the percentage off of that price. One item ended up being $5 more on Friday than it was 3 weeks ago when I looked at it. In the last 4 times I've gone there to see about picking up a deal, I've purchased 2 things, and only one of them was any real deal. Work boots for $32.