Getting in Shape - it's TIME

moog5050

So I have decided it's time to get in good physical condition.  I am finally mentally prepared to swallow some pride and lose max strength (not easy as a lifelong power lifter) in the quest for losing weight and being in better cardio condition. At 47 and recognizing at best I am trying to slow my strength loss from my peak, what am I waiting for?  Since I am somewhat limited in cardio at this point due to a bum knee, I plan to do 2 reasonably heavy weight workouts a week (to try to maintain max strength)  and 3 cross fit type training days for cardio working around the bum knee.  Add in some real control on a good diet, some walking and  off I go. 

Anyways, if any of you are interested in joining an email chain related to fitness and have some accountability, shoot me an email at [email protected] with fitness in the subject chain.  Thought it might be fun if others want to join on the journey.  It's not about competing as we will all have varying levels of fitness.  The idea is to encourage one another.  maybe we share daily or periodic updates on workouts and food intake, with an occasional update on weight loss if that's your goal.  Nothing will be shared outside of the chain unless agreed.  And you can participate to whatever degree you are so inclined.  

Hope to hear from some of you.  

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I won't even toss out that old saying that round is a shape.............as I am.

Good luck to you moog and all that join in the chain. 

Larry I intend to get in such great shape that everyone is dumbfounded when I die of a heart attack while competing a triathlon at age 90.  Ok, maybe I won't go that far.  But trekking for Elk without passing out would be nice. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Larry I intend to get in such great shape that everyone is dumbfounded when I die of a heart attack while competing a triathlon at age 90.  Ok, maybe I won't go that far.  But trekking for Elk without passing out would be nice. 

When I hunted elk in 2004 I was at a svelte 220lbs.........since then I've been close, but not THERE.  I was 43 then.............

GO GET 'EM "B"................... :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Way before most heard of crossfit I was lugging my own kettle bells, homemade wall ball and weight vest to the " box" gym and doing their  W. O.D that was posted online . 

People sure stared at the old guy doing burpies,  box jumps on their flat benches, Turkish get up and so on . 

Great H.I.T workouts that paid off . 

We gotta go,out training now , post more in a bit 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Way before most heard of crossfit I was lugging my own kettle bells, homemade wall ball and weight vest to the " box" gym and doing their  W. O.D that was posted online . 

People sure stared at the old guy doing burpies,  box jumps on their flat benches, Turkish get up and so on . 

Great H.I.T workouts that paid off . 

We gotta go,out training now , post more in a bit 

Old school is the way to go. Like Milo of Croton.

The cardio is a good idea, and it really helps out for some deer hunting situations.   I never worried about it too much, until I started hunting the Adirondacks about 10 years ago.   The first few years up there, I found out how out of shape I was, and how much different that was than shooting a deer out of a stand on the flat-lands at home.   About 4 years ago, I added some cardio to my workouts.  Except for one little hick-up (2) years ago (more on that later), it has made hunting up there a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Low-impact stuff is a great idea, and that will minimize risk of joint issues and arthritis when you get older.  With a bad knee, that is especially important for you.   Rowing machine, stationary bike, and swimming are some low-impact cardio methods that I now use regularly, before and after work, during the week.   On weekends, I try and mix in some "fun" stuff like mountain biking, road biking, ice skating, snowshowing, and cross-country skiing, depending on the season and weather conditions.  

I eliminated the treadmill, after suffering from some sciatica issues shortly after starting that, and I would suggest that you also steer clear of those.  (2) years ago, I was hobbled up pretty good thru hunting season.  Thankfully, that sciatica went away shortly after I gave up on the treadmill,  and started some new leg-stretching exercises.   It is hard to exaggerate how much easier it is to kill a deer up in the mountains, when you can move thru them easily on foot without pain.    I see about (4) deer up there while walking for every one that I see while standing or seated.          

As a mostly old guy who has been at various times: orca fat, skinny as hell, kinda ripped, and fairly strong; and followed body recomp, IF, and "don't eat like an idiot" I would say the most important part of age and fitness is flexibility. Once that goes, it's hard to get back.  

One word ... yoga.

I'd rather have the body of a 70-year-old yoga dude than just about any other discipline.

Better looking workout buddies as well.  

• Like 2

I'm an in shape out of shape roller coaster. I go from like 205 to 160 back and forth all the time. I get into running and out of running.

It's actually a mess and I have no real in-between. I'm either all in or all out.

I get into it and run like 50 miles a week and get obsessed. I gotta start some weights now or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big fan of this guy, I have his book Infinate Intensity . I should still have my copy if you want to borrow it has all kinds of high intensity interval work outs , check out some of his videos online . 

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2017/06/26/varying-training-intensity/

The Crossfit wods, I followed two days behind, the reason was  let's say on one day I may do some chin ups as an extra to the wod, then find out he next day's workout had 100 chin ups . When they became a fad all the old workouts  like , Three bars of death, we're not thrown in much, and I did my own thing .

three bars of death is bench, deads and cleans , 10,9,8,7,6 5,4,3,2,1 , 10 bench  10 deads 10 cleans and so on as fast as possible down to one rep no rest . That'll leave you dripping sweat and your heart pounding .

Many confuse this whole " cardio" thing believing it's running , biking, swimming and so on. Great met con workouts involve weights .

Damn now I wish my shoulders weren't shot !

12 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Big fan of this guy, I have his book Infinate Intensity . I should still have my copy if you want to borrow it has all kinds of high intensity interval work outs , check out some of his videos online . 

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2017/06/26/varying-training-intensity/

The Crossfit wods, I followed two days behind, the reason was  let's say on one day I may do some chin ups as an extra to the wod, then find out he next day's workout had 100 chin ups . When they became a fad all the old workouts  like , Three bars of death, we're not thrown in much, and I did my own thing .

three bars of death is bench, deads and cleans , 10,9,8,7,6 5,4,3,2,1 , 10 bench  10 deads 10 cleans and so on as fast as possible down to one rep no rest . That'll leave you dripping sweat and your heart pounding .

Many confuse this whole " cardio" thing believing it's running , biking, swimming and so on. Great met con workouts involve weights .

Damn now I wish my shoulders weren't shot !

I agree Larry.  I can get a great cardio workout in with weights.  I generally prefer low reps heavy weight and some rest.  Swap that for low weight, high reps, super sets and minimal rest and you can get to that ready to toss your cookies type cardio.   Super setted power cleans with kettle bell swings with about 30sec rest between sets tonight and I was gasping for air. Followed that with overhead squats.  Lots of fun.  Lots of the strongman stuff is cardio intensive too.  Try dragging a weighted sled for a while. Lol

• Like 1

Best of luck to ya moog! Seems like when you set your mind to something, you are successful!  I  may consider joining you all. Got a few pounds I could get rid of. Started out to lose 16 to 20 pounds in May, after shoulder surgery.  Shed 9 so far. At 60 I'm not looking for ripped. Cause I've already been torn.....grin

Moog...   Good Luck in your quest.. 

I made a similar decision at the beginning of this year..    By being diligent about my diet and walking 4 or 5 days a week, I have managed to lose 100 pounds..   

It is not easy, but it helped that my wife was "in the boat" with me..   She did not have much to lose, but continues to be supportive and has helped to redefine what a "reasonable" meal is.

IF you ae in need of any good low fat/low cal recipes, let me know..   We have a few "go to" good ones.

Tom

• Like 3

I've been slowly keeping some winter weight each season.  tough with a desk job.  I've got a dad bod now but not too long ago I was in decent shape when i lived and did more on the farm.  I used to do things like martial arts and box.  heavy bag is in basement collecting dust.  rattles pictures and other stuff up stairs.  not sure how others make it work.  tread mills upstairs now in our bedroom collecting clothes.  gym setup downstairs collecting dust.  i should get off my a&& too.  not sure my state of mind is there though. lol  good luck moog.

• Like 1

There is always a bit of a wrestling match going on in my mind when I consider extreme devotion to a fitness routine. I note the hours and hours of time that some people spend running down the side of the road with that anguished expression of suffering on their faces, huffing and puffing and deeply breathing in the toxins emitted by the passing cars, trucks and buses. And today we have the new fad of bicycling with all the herd of pretty spandex covered Lance Armstrong wannabes who spend hour after hour, covering mile after mile of simply pedaling away with their gaze glued to the few yards of pavement directly in front of them totally oblivious of all the great landscape that they are passing through. They are completely uncaring about the traffic hazards that they are creating, fir themselves and others.

I watch some people who become slaves to a certain diet and spend entire lives in taste-deprivation chasing all the latest fad diets. And then there are those that practically live in the gym, running in place on a treadmill and any number of other machines of torture. All of these people apparently are convinced that they will somehow be able to live pretty much forever.

And then I see the other extremes of those who simply indulge every temptation that comes along and watch themselves grow bigger and bigger without any semblance of control, voluntarily condemning themselves to a foreshortened life. That would be those that consider it a fitness program to simply be able to get into an upright position on the couch. We do seem to be a society of extremes.

It seems to me that there has to be a middle path that kind of lets you actually enjoy the hours that you have on this earth without devoting yourself to a rigid Spartan lifestyle of complete denial. Isn't there some kind of active lifestyle that keeps you moving your body without becoming fanatical about it? .......Some style of eating where you balance out that healthy diet with an occasional dish of ice cream?

2 hours ago, Doc said:

There is always a bit of a wrestling match going on in my mind when I consider extreme devotion to a fitness routine. I note the hours and hours of time that some people spend running down the side of the road with that anguished expression of suffering on their faces, huffing and puffing and deeply breathing in the toxins emitted by the passing cars, trucks and buses. And today we have the new fad of bicycling with all the herd of pretty spandex covered Lance Armstrong wannabes who spend hour after hour, covering mile after mile of simply pedaling away with their gaze glued to the few yards of pavement directly in front of them totally oblivious of all the great landscape that they are passing through. They are completely uncaring about the traffic hazards that they are creating, fir themselves and others.

I watch some people who become slaves to a certain diet and spend entire lives in taste-deprivation chasing all the latest fad diets. And then there are those that practically live in the gym, running in place on a treadmill and any number of other machines of torture. All of these people apparently are convinced that they will somehow be able to live pretty much forever.

And then I see the other extremes of those who simply indulge every temptation that comes along and watch themselves grow bigger and bigger without any semblance of control, voluntarily condemning themselves to a foreshortened life. That would be those that consider it a fitness program to simply be able to get into an upright position on the couch. We do seem to be a society of extremes.

It seems to me that there has to be a middle path that kind of lets you actually enjoy the hours that you have on this earth without devoting yourself to a rigid Spartan lifestyle of complete denial. Isn't there some kind of active lifestyle that keeps you moving your body without becoming fanatical about it? .......Some style of eating where you balance out that healthy diet with an occasional dish of ice cream?

Pretty bleak assessment there..........does the sun ever shine in your world?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, t_barb said:

Moog...   Good Luck in your quest.. 

I made a similar decision at the beginning of this year..    By being diligent about my diet and walking 4 or 5 days a week, I have managed to lose 100 pounds..   

It is not easy, but it helped that my wife was "in the boat" with me..   She did not have much to lose, but continues to be supportive and has helped to redefine what a "reasonable" meal is.

IF you ae in need of any good low fat/low cal recipes, let me know..   We have a few "go to" good ones.

Tom

Wow great job Tom.  That's some serious weight loss.   Well done!

9 hours ago, grampy said:

Best of luck to ya moog! Seems like when you set your mind to something, you are successful!  I  may consider joining you all. Got a few pounds I could get rid of. Started out to lose 16 to 20 pounds in May, after shoulder surgery.  Shed 9 so far. At 60 I'm not looking for ripped. Cause I've already been torn.....grin

Join us Dave.  You clearly know how to drop pounds (something I need to learn) plus we can encourage you to get that shoulder back in shape.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Soooooo you don't want to join the email chain?   Lol

• Like 3