Getting in Shape - it's TIME

moog5050

I'm in the gym 3 times a week for the past 2years, I go for the line between strength and endurance. I definitely notice a difference in the fall, whether it be dragging deer or hiking my climber up a steep ridge. It pays off, I also sleep better and feel overall better. A balanced diet is half of the battle. Noone will live forever, but if you keep on it your chances of living a better life until the end is exponentially better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Pretty bleak assessment there..........does the sun ever shine in your world?

Just laying out the observations and conclusions. I'm basically pointing out that there is middle ground between the extremes which perhaps is the more practical and pleasant path to follow.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Soooooo you don't want to join the email chain?   Lol

No, my fitness program involves some pretty vigorous climbing all over these killer hills and working around the homestead here doing useful work. It has kept me successfully going for all these years, and we'll just see how far that way works out for the rest of it.

i am 46  and I have lost 50 lbs with no cardio per say. my diet is huge on my weight loss. my wife and I use a app called ITRACK BITES its basically weight watchers orientated,. we are using the older higher protein plan and we loose about 1lb to 2lbs a week. I cant stand doing cardio at all and I have a  bum knee as well, its actually pretty messed up and its the my main reason for my weight loss. moog I am also a old  go heavy or go home guy. a example of what I do, so for my biceps I will start with dumbbell curls and I run the rack 30lb for 15 reps 35 -15 / 40-10 / 45-8 / 50-8 / 55-6 reps. then I will go to rope curls and I will increase the weight during the set, example -I do 5 at 45 lbs and then go up to 50 and do 6 more total 11 reps. basically my workouts are minimum 5 sets sometimes i will do 8 sets and high reps to low. minimum rest between sets so you are getting a cardio work out also. nothing  ground breaking but keeps my strength and i get the blood pumping also.

• Like 2

Chores on my small farm give me a couple of hours of moderate exercise every day, I try to work in a bit of extra exercise when it comes to stuff like mowing the lawn which is quite large I use a walk behind mower, do a lot of snow shoveling even though I have a blower, cutting & stacking wood, etc etc. I do ride a Airdyne bike for 25 minutes to start every day. As for diet I stay away from foods that contain white processed flour and sugar as much as possible.

Al

• Like 1

Good luck to you Moog! I started running and walking last fall to lose weight since I seemed to pick up 5 pounds a year for quite some time. I lost 50 or so pounds from 244 down to 192. I did that with 6-7 miles a day either walk or run every other day seven days a week and eating a lot better.

I did not need to lose any more, actually needed to put 5 back on, so I kept up the walk/run and started eating more what I wanted. I probably would not need to run so much if I did not like beer so much lol!!

Let me say I hate working out, and running pretty much but I like the smaller size clothes and improved endurance.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Good luck to you Moog! I started running and walking last fall to lose weight since I seemed to pick up 5 pounds a year for quite some time. I lost 50 or so pounds from 244 down to 192. I did that with 6-7 miles a day either walk or run every other day seven days a week and eating a lot better.

I did not need to lose any more, actually needed to put 5 back on, so I kept up the walk/run and started eating more what I wanted. I probably would not need to run so much if I did not like beer so much lol!!

Let me say I hate working out, and running pretty much but I like the smaller size clothes and improved endurance.

Congrats Fletch  That's a great accomplishment.  I would love to drop about 75lbs and I will.  Going to get er done!  At least then I won't exceed the weight limit on all of our stands.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

We got a good group already of 7 members!  Crap Culver, you don't look 265.  Good news, I hope to drop to within 10lbs of your current weight so I will remain the fatty throughout this journey.

Luckily being 6'4" helps...lol. I either have to lose 55 pounds of get stretched about 8-9 inches in height. 

17 minutes ago, grampy said:

Went to the address given to join and don't see where it is? Just some old posts from moog? I gotta be doing something wrong. If it aint work related, I'm almost lost in the technology world. 

Pm me your email Grampy and I will Connect you.  Day 2 is in the books for me.  Looking forward to saying that on day 365.  Lol

Need to do some hiking to get some training in for hunt in Oct., doing a few miles quick before work in the morning I hope for the next few months.

I have the opposite problem to some; wouldn't mind gaining 5 lbs or so.

Good luck to those trying to improve their health!

• Like 2

Been sick lately so I've lost about 15 pound's but once I feel a little better I plan on increaseing the exercise with some long walks with the wife and dog to keep the weight coming off. I normally weight around 215 looking to get down to and stay around 190

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good for you guys!!! 

Long story short in my early 20's I weighed close to 240 when I was working in a kitchen. I got tired of being the fat guy so I started working out and eating right and dropped all the way down to 175. Then kids happened and I have slowly gained 15 pounds and now I hover right around 190. I'm ok with being 190 as I never want to be 200+ again but I would love to lose 10 pounds and hover back around 180. Everything was honestly better at 180 and working out compared top 190 and just staying there with out working out.  

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 10:26 PM, t_barb said:

Moog...   Good Luck in your quest.. 

I made a similar decision at the beginning of this year..    By being diligent about my diet and walking 4 or 5 days a week, I have managed to lose 100 pounds..   

It is not easy, but it helped that my wife was "in the boat" with me..   She did not have much to lose, but continues to be supportive and has helped to redefine what a "reasonable" meal is.

IF you ae in need of any good low fat/low cal recipes, let me know..   We have a few "go to" good ones.

Tom

you sir are the definition of awesomeness!

• Like 1

Me circa late '70's , don't think I'll see that waist again . 

Feel free to tape it to,your mirrors or refrigerator for inspiration , or your Blocks and straw bales .

image.jpeg

Edited by Larry302

I'm 6'1 and 190. I get compliments for "my age" lol. I have a "maintenance slow growth routine". I really don't have time to become shredded so I hit the Y 4 times a week. I do cardio and light to moderate lifting and I'm out in an hour or less. I know I could do more and push harder, but I don't have the energy, so the growth is there, just slower than I would like or would accept if i was 22 again. For me this is better than hating to go and avoiding it.

As others mentioned, diet is a huge factor and unfortunately that includes the good tasting beer. It pains me to say it, but blue light is your friend. The porters and imperials are not. 

Develop a good routine. 3 to 4 times a week for 3 weeks straight and you'll be hooked. Take a week off for vacation and you better go again because it's just too easy to give up that after work or before work routine. Work on more reps and less weight (hard for you power lifters) and stretch. good god please stretch. I saw yoga mentioned. No joke, do it.

If you eat right, get in the gym 4 hours a week and you're still raking, shoveling, building, putting in stands and doing man chores on the weekend you're going to see the pounds come off and the definition come back... you wont lose that gut though. That's a part of dad bod lol. Just make sure you stay acitve on the weekends. Nothing worse than forced exercise followed by netflix binging. It's why winters suck.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update.  Down 13lbs at end of week 3. One belt hole down too. One of the group is way way down.  But I am happy with the start.  2lbs more a week for 6 months will push me 20lbs below my college playing weight.  Saturday is my cheat day.  Yay.  Honestly it hasn't been bad.  Just need to stay with it.   

Edit:  Actually I think it's end of week 4 or thereabouts.   Lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6