Bout time for a new 2017 truck thread!

Fletch

Ok so I know we have had some interesting truck threads on here so lets keep it in moderation lol.

I am going to buy a new truck between now and winter. I am a truck guy. I have had a Nissan, Dodge, GMC and Chevy as my last 4 trucks. I have also driven the Toy a lot a few years back as a work truck. I will agree the Dodge is the best looking truck but I had a real bad experience with the one I had and Dodge so they can still kiss my ass. I am probably between Ford and Chevy. I like my last two Chevy trucks except they are the weakest looking truck and not much change. And more importantly I have had body rust, whether rail/brake dust issues with both and after 4 years bubbles start to show up. Just pisses me off!

Anyhow the Ford is now aluminum so no rust issues. They have the best crash ratings as well. I have heard the frames rot out quicker but only from one guy at work. I am also concerned with the 2.7 eco and how that will hold up over the years, especially the years past warranty!

Ford 150 right now are $10 grand below msrp so thousands cheaper than the comparable Silverado right now.

Let me know what you guys think and especially anyone who has a 2017 Ford!

Truck sales are slow so prices are good, just wondering if they will even be better in another 2 months!

04f2d77c5e54d8ffa6446ab3e7c187ee.jpg

I've owned them all. Currently drive a Tundra, will never buy anything different again. 10 years old. 140,000 miles.

No rust (well, one little bubble on the tailgate), only changed brakes, tires, battery (2X). Looks good, drives good, and never let me down. Can't say that about any of the others.

I'd consider Ford a close second place though.

• Like 2

I've driven 2 different dodge Rams from 2005-2015, although I never had anything too expensive go on me, both trucks were rotting out around the 5-6 year mark. My 07 I bought new and the tailgate, wheel wells were rotting pretty bad. I took meticulous care of that truck too (washing/waxing). I've now owned a 2015 Toyota Tundra I bought new, no complaints yet, I went with Toyota because I know at least 4 people with them and they all seem to love them. While I liked my Rams, I'm not paying $30k to have them rot out in 5 years...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I will stay tuned into this thread...my 09 Trailblazer is starting to nickel and me me at 136,000 miles....got in this morning and the radio won't turn on...replaced the driver side wheel hub last week and the moth before the power steering lines and transmission lines. Just one thing after another starts to wear on ones patience.

I wanna take a tundra for a ride and see what all the hype is...loved the Tacoma I test drove years ago so I hope for the same with the tundra.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Buddy has the ecoboost turbo I think 3.5? It's awesome quite quick well built and looks really nice. I think his is 2015 or 16

Btw I just bought 2012 ram outdoorsman has full skid plates lower gear ratios better towing and some other differe t features and I love it...knock on wood no rot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've had a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Good gas millage around town, ok towing more than just a quad or two. I now have a 2017 GMC with the 6.2l v8. I'm getting the same if not better mpgs around town as the Ford. 20 mpg around town, 12mpg towing a little over 6k lb 32' camper. A lot has to do with the GMC having a 8 speed transmission. I know the Ford's will be coming with a 10 speed now. I'm sure you will be happy either way.

• Like 1

As luck would have it, I just bought a new 2017 Chevy. It's a little "different" as it's a regular cab, short bed... not common and hard to find! I had been looking for quite some time. It doesn't have much fancy stuff, but had exactly what I was looking for. It has the 5.3 L V-8, 3.42 rear axle, tow package, rear view camera and spray-in bedliner. I just installed WeatherTech mats, a Diamondback HD cover, had the windows tinted and put on a couple of nerf bars to help my wife step in (she's only 5'2" LOL). The color is graphite metallic and looks pretty nice. I've already received many compliments. I'll try and get a couple of pics up in a day or two. 

Edited by bugsNbows
  • Like 1

I was ALMOST in the market for a 2017 truck..............

Last Saturday I had the boat hooked up to my Tacoma (2011 w/97,000 miles) and as we got on the 290 my wife said "WTH is that noise?  I didn't hear it at first but then noticed it.  I couldn't pin point what it was but it seemed to be coming from the right rear of the truck.  I got off the 990 at N French and unhooked the boat at a friends gymnastics studio and jumped back on the 990 to be sure it wasn't the boat trailer although I hoped liked like hell it was!  The trailer would be easier/cheaper usually than the truck........

Well, it was the truck.  It still made the noise and it was a very intermittent one at that.  IT seemed like only over 65 or so before it'd make this strange metallic sound.  I went back and got the trailer, hauled it home via back roads.

We swapped over to the wife's Rav4 and used that for hauling, no sweat.  Today I took the truck to the local fixit shop and after explaining things and even going for a test drive (of course it didn't do it then) with one of the grease monkeys (said lovingly) I let them do some snooping. Before I left,  I said that I kind of thought it could be a u-joint issue (not likely but maybe) or rear end as that's kind of where the sound seemed to be coming from.  Then as a I was walking out the door I said, hmm....maybe exhaust system??

Well they called an hour later and said yes, it was in the exhaust system; a heat shield had come loose in a couple contact points and would occasionally make a vibrating sound!  That my friends is the SECOND time heat shields have scared the crap out of me with that truck.  The other time was when I was in Geneseo on my way down to Canadice for some frolicking and all of a sudden in front of Wegmans at the traffic light I hear this horrible rattling.  I thought my tranny took a dump on me!  After getting into the Mobil station (I think that's what it is just to the east....) I slid under the beast and found the source..........silly me, no worries there!

So long story short, I don't need (want yes, need no) a new ride.  I did go snooping around the dealers lot last night under the cover of darkness though............ :)

The truck has been terrific as I've mentioned here in the past.  97K and all I've done is front brakes.........

• Like 1

In my opinion, no one makes a "bad" truck today, its just whatever you prefer. If i were to buy a brand new half ton truck tomorrow, it would definitely be between ram or GM just because i like the GM's and my dad has always owned rams with no problems at all. The ram interior is nicer than GM's in my opinion. I get what you're saying about fords not rusting because they're aluminum, however aluminum does oxidize. I'm sure we'll see what the NY winters do to them in the coming years.

Kind of off topic, but If i was in the market for a 2500 or bigger, id probably go with GM because their new HD's look the best and their diesel has 950 ft lbs of torque.  I do like the cummins engine however.

• Like 1

I need a 3500, so the Toyota is out. It just can't tow what I need it too.

My last GM, 2011, had the rear axle go at 1800 miles, taking out the tranny.

They replaced the entire rear, but rebuilt the tranny. So I had a new truck with a rebuilt tranny.  Joy.  2 1/2 yrs later with 35k the tranny started to slip, another rebuilt tranny. Traded it in on a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW with the 6.4 hemi. Fantastic truck. Traded that in this may for a 2017. Same truck just different color and few more options.  As far as gas trucks, the gm 6.0 is anemic compared to the Ram and Ford options. (Can't get the GM 6.2 in a 2500 or 3500). 

• Like 1

I need a 3500, so the Toyota is out. It just can't tow what I need it too.
My last GM, 2011, had the rear axle go at 1800 miles, taking out the tranny.
They replaced the entire rear, but rebuilt the tranny. So I had a new truck with a rebuilt tranny.  Joy.  2 1/2 yrs later with 35k the tranny started to slip, another rebuilt tranny. Traded it in on a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW with the 6.4 hemi. Fantastic truck. Traded that in this may for a 2017. Same truck just different color and few more options.  As far as gas trucks, the gm 6.0 is anemic compared to the Ram and Ford options. (Can't get the GM 6.2 in a 2500 or 3500). 

I saw a Tundra tow a space shuttle once! You need more than that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I saw a Tundra tow a space shuttle once! You need more than that?

I was waiting for someone to mention that.  Lol.  Technically, it pulled it. There was no tongue wt.

06,15,17. All been real good. I'm a Chevy guy so that's just my pick but that f150 is a sharp truck. They are all good and they all have lemons. I just got the 17' @ over 17% off sticker. Guess you could go with what's the least expensive and you will prob be happy.

I do disagree that the Chevy doesn't have the "look". The led daytimes and fogs are badass on both Chevy and ford

4cafd8529147207f5b45aa201f581016.jpgf443d32687c9b2245daec0b08a32c865.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 15 Ford F-250 regular cab long bed gas. Couldn't be happier with it. With the current rebates I have been thinking about driving it over and seeing what they'll give me for it on a new one. Probably wouldn't be with it because I would buy the exact same truck but the new ones look awesome. If I wanted a half ton it would be a ford. I absolutely hate my 13 Silverado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a 2017 F250 Lariat with the 6.7 Diesel..   What a truck...  It is the first Ford I have owned (after Chevy and dodge).

Motor is GREAT (getting over 19mpg when not towing)...   Interior is great...   Features and functionality are great (including the Apple CarPlay, which is fantastic).

We have a 26 foot horse trailer and were in the Berkshires a couple weeks back and it made those hills effortless.

A lot of personal preference when it comes to trucks, but I am a Ford guy now..

Edited by t_barb
  • Like 1

I have a 2013 F150 with 70k miles and no problems at all.  If I were buying a new truck today, I would look very seriously at a Nissan Titan.  I've heard nothing but good things about Nissan trucks in the past.  Now with the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan, they may have actually made it better.  

40 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I have a 2013 F150 with 70k miles and no problems at all.  If I were buying a new truck today, I would look very seriously at a Nissan Titan.  I've heard nothing but good things about Nissan trucks in the past.  Now with the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan, they may have actually made it better.  

Batavia??

2011 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost here. 136kmi and climbing. All I've fixed is a wheel bearing at 120k and just did a o2 sensor the other week. I've beaten the balls off this truck since I bought it brand new. It's towed more than it ever should have and regularly hauls 2 to 3000 pounds of corn in the bed which is hard as hell on it but it handles it like a champ. Rust is the only problem with my truck. It's starting around the edges all over but I'm planning on getting all that fixed soon as I expect this truck to run for a lot more miles. Wife drives my truck mostly now since she puts on way less miles than me, and she loves when chevys and dodge guys try racing her at stop lights. She will text and call me all the time to tell me she smoked another Chevy 1500 who thought his truck had power haha.

The Fords are great trucks. I've had everything except a tundra and I'd wouldn't buy anything but a Ford again. They aren't the number one selling truck series for just any ol reason.

Once I pay off the commuter car (2014 Honda Civic) I picked up a month ago we plan on getting a new F250 or maybe even a 350.

Now is a good time to buy too. Prices are lowered to move out the 2017 inventory to make room for 2018 models

I would just suggest stay away from diesel.  The new emissions, low sulfur fuel and DEF additives, they dont last or run like they used to.  Everyone is running from them, even school districts are trying to get away from diesels with gas or even propane.  

Have owned Dodge,Ford,Chevy,Nissan.... Best trucks ever owned were the Nissan Frontiers.  Have had one for 11 years and the current one for 6, never have a problem with them.  Fords at work have a few front end, tie rod, bearing issues esp on the 350's but usually reliable.  F150 is certainly a quality truck, dunno bout that aluminum bed though.  Have heard with the aluminum floors in other vehicles have been an issue,  they might be too soft for a truck bed. Might not rot out but might be banged up bad in a truck bed.