Bout time for a new 2017 truck thread!

Fletch

14 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Never had a problem with my 2007 Tundra.

I've got over 70,000 miles on it but now the heat shields are rattling loose. Sounds like Hell.

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I was ALMOST in the market for a 2017 truck..............

Last Saturday I had the boat hooked up to my Tacoma (2011 w/97,000 miles) and as we got on the 290 my wife said "WTH is that noise?  I didn't hear it at first but then noticed it.  I couldn't pin point what it was but it seemed to be coming from the right rear of the truck.  I got off the 990 at N French and unhooked the boat at a friends gymnastics studio and jumped back on the 990 to be sure it wasn't the boat trailer although I hoped liked like hell it was!  The trailer would be easier/cheaper usually than the truck........

Well, it was the truck.  It still made the noise and it was a very intermittent one at that.  IT seemed like only over 65 or so before it'd make this strange metallic sound.  I went back and got the trailer, hauled it home via back roads.

We swapped over to the wife's Rav4 and used that for hauling, no sweat.  Today I took the truck to the local fixit shop and after explaining things and even going for a test drive (of course it didn't do it then) with one of the grease monkeys (said lovingly) I let them do some snooping. Before I left,  I said that I kind of thought it could be a u-joint issue (not likely but maybe) or rear end as that's kind of where the sound seemed to be coming from.  Then as a I was walking out the door I said, hmm....maybe exhaust system??

Well they called an hour later and said yes, it was in the exhaust system; a heat shield had come loose in a couple contact points and would occasionally make a vibrating sound!  That my friends is the SECOND time heat shields have scared the crap out of me with that truck.  The other time was when I was in Geneseo on my way down to Canadice for some frolicking and all of a sudden in front of Wegmans at the traffic light I hear this horrible rattling.  I thought my tranny took a dump on me!  After getting into the Mobil station (I think that's what it is just to the east....) I slid under the beast and found the source..........silly me, no worries there!

So long story short, I don't need (want yes, need no) a new ride.  I did go snooping around the dealers lot last night under the cover of darkness though............ :)

The truck has been terrific as I've mentioned here in the past.  97K and all I've done is front brakes.........

I forgot about that. I lost two heat shields on my '07 Tundra. Probably 40,000 miles ago. I never replaced them. No problems.

i was looking for trucks about four years back and they seemed crazy expensive.  part of my problem is room for car seats and need to four doors or at least room in the back.  ended up finding a used low mileage Honda Ridgeline.  i make it work but it's not a truck.  it's a car/truck.  haven't had any real problems with it and it's a '07 with over 100k on it. problem is there's nothing wrong with it right now and i can't justify taking on big truck payment.  i'm not a contractor or anything either so i can't write it off.  guess i'm stuck.  happy shopping!

I don't haul or tow anything heavy, so a full size truck was out for me. Ended up getting a brand new Tacoma last august,

I had a 2009 Silverado up until then. Had to many electronic issues with the Chevy. Wanted something more dependable and with better gas mileage this time around. Almost a year old now and no complaints.

This thread Got me thinking about getting a pickup. The F150 XLT looks sweet, I like the backseat but not full doors with handles. I was shocked though to see they are over $40K.

Are there any pickups with backseat that go for under $30K? I don't need to tow anything. Just want 4x4 of course for the winter, and a full backseat.

I got a fully loaded 2011 BMW 328xi (AWD) with 58K miles that I would trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This thread Got me thinking about getting a pickup. The F150 XLT looks sweet, I like the backseat but not full doors with handles. I was shocked though to see they are over $40K.

Are there any pickups with backseat that go for under $30K? I don't need to tow anything. Just want 4x4 of course for the winter, and a full backseat.

If you want a full back seat, get a crew cab and that does mean back doors.  Otherwise the supercab has a full back seat, just a lot less leg room.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

trucks are expensive. More expensive than they need to be, but the demand has been high and they get away with it. sales are slowing so i bet price stays flat at least.

you can't even get a stripped down non 4x4 for under 30. My suggestion is a lease. 

• Like 1

trucks are expensive. More expensive than they need to be, but the demand has been high and they get away with it. sales are slowing so i bet price stays flat at least.
you can't even get a stripped down non 4x4 for under 30. My suggestion is a lease. 

Ok, thx. I don't really need one and would never lease. The cheaper route is continuing with the tow hitched on my wife's Honda CRV and metal crate that works perfect for deer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Ok, thx. I don't really need one and would never lease. The cheaper route is continuing with the tow hitched on my wife's Honda CRV and metal crate that works perfect for deer.

I was a never lease guy forever too. But if you're not driving it a lot you can drive a very well equipped new truck for 3 years at ~$300 a month. Fully warrantied and it's off your hands when things start to break. idk, it's not the scam it once was. Buying well taken care of lease trade ins is another good route. 

• Like 1

I was a never lease guy forever too. But if you're not driving it a lot you can drive a very well equipped new truck for 3 years at ~$300 a month. Fully warrantied and it's off your hands when things start to break. idk, it's not the scam it once was. Buying well taken care of lease trade ins is another good route. 

Yea I have always bought certified pre owned. Get the benefits of warranty and free Maintenance but pay lows $20k's for a car that was near $50K just 3 years prior.

• Like 3

Yea I have always bought certified pre owned. Get the benefits of warranty and free Maintenance but pay lows $20k's for a car that was near $50K just 3 years prior.

This works for cars, but trucks don't depreciate at the insanely fast rates that cars do. Especially diesel trucks. I see trucks the same year as mine with mileage well over 100k going for over $20k. It's crazy man. You either really need a truck or just have money to burn to buy one these days. But I guess the upside is that they hold value for so long🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Like 1

Mr B.s company has been trying to get him to pick a new truck for nearly a year now...He has a Chevy but I've heard him mention they are crazy expensive  for what he wants and needs for work...leaning in on the Fords again...They were his go to truck for many years when we were buying them..but the paint and body rust got to be a big problem...Our last purchase truck was the Dodge Ram but they royally did us on the transmission warranty...I won't buy another Dodge ever thanks to that. My last purchase was an Aerostar mini van for my daycare...I loved it but what a rust bucket...sold it for a good price 10 years later and the kid drove it for a really long time...Think if a good wind caught it he would have had the frame tires and seats left going down the road...lol

Mr B is having a difficult time finding a crew cab with an 8ft bed in diesel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Our last purchase truck was the Dodge Ram but they royally did us on the transmission warranty...I won't buy another Dodge ever thanks to that.

I bought a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton about 15-16 years ago when they had the 7/70 warranty. The transmission crapped out at around 71,500 miles. They wouldn't do a damn thing for me. In fact they tried to make me feel like a fool for even trying to get a little off the replacement tranny. Hell, I would have felt a little better if they bought me a lousy cup of coffee.

I haven't bought another Dodge and won't ever again. Huge rust holes in the fenders a couple of years after that. Nickled and dimed me to death.

• Like 3

My issue was I FORCED them to look at it 3 x's telling them the transmission was having problems.... this started 8 mos BEFORE the warranty lapse...the fourth time after the warrenty ran out it was "You need a new transmission" ... I freaking flipped out ...even with the records they refused to do anything THEN refused me access to the regional guy and I tried going to corporate and couldn't get through at all to any of them... it was bend over and smile because we got you and there's nothing else to do... Well ya I can let anyone who needs a vehicle know ...That's what I can do.

PS.... OhhhI told them to stuff the transmission replacement up their "netherlands " with out any lube and had it towed to a place out towards Brockport,as I recall for a used or rebuilt tranny...it was worth the towing charge...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2