Dacks Bear trip

Robhuntandfish

Yeah i have seen them hiking in the summer or on the road but never in season.  Im going to do some scouting next weekend a bit. Gonna be a tough one, but gonna give it a good try.  And watch i will see a bear but nothing during season! lol  

Gonna carry the hand cannon though just in case. 

I'd focus on making the bear weekend a deer scouting weekend.

If you're going to sit, there's some good incense sticks for bear out there.

If they love beavef, I wonder if be a et castor might be good scent idea.

In general.....

Water edges, rolling hilltops, and any transitional areas from one type to another works well.  

Without bait, you need to be real real lucky.

I got trail cameras up on my lease, I get 3 or 4 sightings from 3 or 4 cameras setup in places where deer are daily.  Logging trails, near berry patches, and a good food source spot.

I've seen ne in person.  He was too tiny lie 60lbs or so.  Gutsy little thing, I tried shooting him out of my spot.  Didn't want the temptation. 

He was in that spot twice a week that year all summer.

23 hours ago, Padre86 said:

To be clear though, you're talking about the dump station on Chain Lakes Rd. (the one that runs along Indian River, past the old Gooley Club house)?

OP, I hear a lot about bear interactions in the big population centers up there (Old Forge, Indian Lake, Placid) which makes sense because that's where most of the people are and that's where bear will congregate if trash and rubbish is left out.  I'd always thought the dump stations were pretty strict about safeguarding the trash and recyclables stored there, but I haven't spent too much time looking over the area.  I definitely could see the value in finding state land which might lead into the more populated areas, because I'm sure there are some bear who visit the towns from time to time.  Looking for bear in the middle of the deep woods is hit or miss (all misses for me).  I've found bear sign and bear food during some seasons, but the bear have always been absent.  I'm sure there are plenty of bear hunters up there who have more knowledge than I on this topic.   But based on my own experiences, and those recounted by others, it seems that ADK bear hunting is quite tough and success is hard to come by.  

Keep us posted though, and good luck out there!

No this one is before Indian Lake in North Creek.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6913695,-73.9922019,15z

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 0:27 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can honestly say that for me to shoot another bear it would either have to already be in the bed of my truck or have one of my limbs in its mouth. My gun bear was shot in the ADKS and it took 5 us a day and a half to drag it a mile and a half. And that was 5 guys who were all under 25 and all in very good shape. 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There like dragging a garbage bag of jello through the woods. They hang up on every thing, tried carrying one out whole with a pole between us and that sucked as the bear began swinging. If I ever harvest one again I would skin and quarter it and pack it out that way.

I seen lots of early bear activity in the Hamilton County Area. 

• Like 2

I am planning on quartering it if its in the woods a ways esp.  Dont really want to have a rug or anything made so quartering might be the way to go.  Also one of the spots i am thinking about trying involves a boat ride.  So would be easier to maneuver for sure.  I have a deer cart also , they sure are handy for deer.   

One of the guys I am hunting with for an early bear trip asked " well if we get a bear whats the plan?"  Told him we would make one if we get a bear!  doubt we will have any action but cant wait to go.  We will get some fish in the morn and then have a good sit in the eve and have rifle just in case we see one. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am planning on quartering it if its in the woods a ways esp.  Dont really want to have a rug or anything made so quartering might be the way to go.  Also one of the spots i am thinking about trying involves a boat ride.  So would be easier to maneuver for sure.  I have a deer cart also , they sure are handy for deer.   

One of the guys I am hunting with for an early bear trip asked " well if we get a bear whats the plan?"  Told him we would make one if we get a bear!  doubt we will have any action but cant wait to go.  We will get some fish in the morn and then have a good sit in the eve and have rifle just in case we see one. 

Check on the market prices for a good bear rug and find a taxidermist that can do it and how much they would cost. Highly likely you could put a few bucks in your pocket selling the rug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Check on the market prices for a good bear rug and find a taxidermist that can do it and how much they would cost. Highly likely you could put a few bucks in your pocket selling the rug. 

I plan to cut out the back straps and tenderloins. Might be the first guy I've seen hunting for the meat and NOT the rug lol.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, NFA-ADK said:

No this one is before Indian Lake in North Creek.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6913695,-73.9922019,15z

I am pretty sure that they would frown upon anyone hunting there as it is basically part of the ski area.  I doubt that there are many bears around there anyway as most of the transfer stations pretty much keep things contained....unlike 30-40 years ago when we used to go to the dumps just before dark to see bears as entertainment.  

11 hours ago, adkhunter71 said:

I am pretty sure that they would frown upon anyone hunting there as it is basically part of the ski area.  I doubt that there are many bears around there anyway as most of the transfer stations pretty much keep things contained....unlike 30-40 years ago when we used to go to the dumps just before dark to see bears as entertainment.  

This is what I was getting at in my earlier post.  I just have a hard time believing that the bear are flocking to dump stations up there because of the new regulations and protocols in place.  Bear-proofing everything, including trash, is religiously followed up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

not hunting near a dump anyway, for any reason.  But cmon guys your ruining the thought of bear meat! lol. 

I've shot 2 bears in Ontario and both were delicious. I took one in the NZ as did my father, corn fed and both were great.  I am heading up to Quebec in May with a group of 7 others and I hope they don't want their meat.  So if any of you guys get them and don't want the meat just give me a holler. I'll meet you and take it for sure. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

thats better!!  lol 

have heard good things about bear meat - prob wont get one- but never know !   and need to make bear beer brats! 

37 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've shot 2 bears in Ontario and both were delirious. I took one in the NZ as did my father, corn fed and both were great.  I am heading up to Quebec in May with a group of 7 others and I hope they don't want their meat.  So if any of you guys get them and don't want the meat just give me a holler. I'll meet you and take it for sure. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've shot 2 bears in Ontario and both were delirious. I took one in the NZ as did my father, corn fed and both were great.  I am heading up to Quebec in May with a group of 7 others and I hope they don't want their meat.  So if any of you guys get them and don't want the meat just give me a holler. I'll meet you and take it for sure. 

delirious? bad shrooms? :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

interesting. i swear i heard it was illegal somewhere. but this is all i could find via google.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/environmental-conservation-law/env-sect-11-1733.html

Prohibited Sale of Deer or Bear Meat It is unlawful to sell deer or bear meat. Other than meat, the parts (e.g., hides, skulls, claws, antlers, and taxidermy mounts or rugs) from legally taken and reported deer and bear may be sold. Bear gallbladders and bile shall not be possessed or sold unless a valid bear tag (original or copy) is attached