First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

If that's the case , a good way to feel the correct form from a elevated shooting area is to draw the bow like you are shooting at level ground ,then bend at your waist to get the target in your sight. It prevents you from wanting to lift your draw arm really high to get the target in sight.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

If that's the case , a good way to feel the correct form from a elevated shooting area is to draw the bow like you are shooting at level ground ,then bend at your waist to get the target in your sight. It prevents you from wanting to lift your draw arm really high to get the target in sight.

Thx for the tip. In a week or two i'll start practicing from a chair as well and then in September take some actual shots out of my ground blind.

• Like 1

I was explaining how most archers from a stand miss high because they do not bend at the waist properly and this causes the peep to be mis-aligned.  My buddy who is a great shot and missed 2 deer at about 10-15 yards was like O that is why I keep missing them!  lmao

Like Jeremy K stated you need to get to full draw and line up your peep then bend at the waist!  Funny how so many do this wrong.  Shooting like you are in stand in practice is the only way to make sure you are good, thankfully at Suffolk Archers we have a couple of elevated shooting positions. 

• Like 3

Nice to see this thread ! I guess in a week or two I'll have to dust off the bow and see if is on ( it will be ) , but tomorrow I'll be out on Canandaigua Lake , it's still summer boys !

May even hang my cams this week and some stands in a couple more weeks if it cools down .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

I was explaining how most archers from a stand miss high because they do not bend at the waist properly and this causes the peep to be mis-aligned.  My buddy who is a great shot and missed 2 deer at about 10-15 yards was like O that is why I keep missing them!  lmao

Like Jeremy K stated you need to get to full draw and line up your peep then bend at the waist!  Funny how so many do this wrong.  Shooting like you are in stand in practice is the only way to make sure you are good, thankfully at Suffolk Archers we have a couple of elevated shooting positions. 

Idk . First I have much respect for,you as a hunter and person . But im not  sure at ten yards not bending will cause a complete miss. Most of my years bow hunting (about 30) I never even heard of that , I killed a deer my first year and most since , never gave a thought to drawing upright and then bending for the shot .

Ive stood , sat, leaned around the trunk , half squatted and everything else and I think I've missed a deer once maybe twice .

• Like 4

If you're not bending at the waist, you're not always hitting where you're aiming. Simple as that. If you don't believe it, go out in a stand and instead of bending at the waist just drop your bow arm to achieve the angle. Just because it's something you've done for a long time doesn't mean it's not flawed... I used to be heavy into competition archery, that's the first thing you learn on angle shots...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Idk . First I have much respect for,you as a hunter and person . But im not  sure at ten yards not bending will cause a complete miss. Most of my years bow hunting (about 30) I never even heard of that , I killed a deer my first year and most since , never gave a thought to drawing upright and then bending for the shot .

Ive stood , sat, leaned around the trunk , half squatted and everything else and I think I've missed a deer once maybe twice .

The drawing and then bending at the waist was just to illustrate the correct form before the release , of course you can draw while bending at the waist .  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisw said:

If you're not bending at the waist, you're not always hitting where you're aiming. Simple as that. If you don't believe it, go out in a stand and instead of bending at the waist just drop your bow arm to achieve the angle. Just because it's something you've done for a long time doesn't mean it's not flawed... I used to be heavy into competition archery, that's the first thing you learn on angle shots...

Oh I know it's a thing , and I've tried to do,it that way the last few years .

All I'm saying is for many years I've killed deer out of stands and never knew I wasn't doing it right . I also always practiced  from height from my first year and always take practice shots out of my stand when hunting , just don't notice much differance , let alone enough to miss  the whole deer at 10 yards like was stated .

In a couple weeks when I start practicing it'll be a fun test to measure the actual change in poi .

Also, about the  guy who misses whole deers at close range , did he never practice from height ? Because I'd think his poor form causing such large miss would have shown up in that practice , no ? 

I gotta hit the Lake have a nice day .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

When this guy was on he would complain about a 1/4 inch difference at 60 yards, he is a great shot.  Like stated you can draw straight down and still be ok.  The issue is when you don't keep your upper body aligned properly your peep will be misaligned horribly.  

This issue is when you don't have experience and your first buck comes in, all form sometimes gets thrown out the window and all the shooter sees is that the pin is directly on the deer.  All I can say is that it happens all the time with new hunters under stress and sometimes experienced hunters in the same situation. 

This is a perfect example of a hunter under stress and her husband says she is a great shot!  Sometimes all we see is the sight and forget we have a peep to align, simple as that.  IMO.  I have shown this before but it is obvious to me she is not bending at the waist and probably does not even see the peep for alignment. 

• Haha 1

I think some people bend at the waist when shooting down without even thinking about it (especially if you lock that bow arm in the shoulder socket - nearly impossible to drop the bow arm for me).  Others will drop their bow arm which is not correct resulting in a high shot (but unlikely to cause you to miss a deer completely at 20yds).  Although I suspect that that woman had bigger issues than merely not bending at the waist.  lol 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

Oh I know it's a thing , and I've tried to do,it that way the last few years .
All I'm saying is for many years I've killed deer out of stands and never knew I wasn't doing it right . I also always practiced  from height from my first year and always take practice shots out of my stand when hunting , just don't notice much differance , let alone enough to miss  the whole deer at 10 yards like was stated .
In a couple weeks when I start practicing it'll be a fun test to measure the actual change in poi .
Also, about the  guy who misses whole deers at close range , did he never practice from height ? Because I'd think his poor form causing such large miss would have shown up in that practice , no ? 
I gotta hit the Lake have a nice day .

It's certainly possible you're doing it and don't even realize it! I'm guessing the guy that misses the whole deer at 10yds has more than just the not bending at the waist issue. It's impossible to know what he was/is doing wrong for sure. A lot of people continuously shoot high on deer at close range, either due to not bending or not holding low at steep angles. A guy I used to know spine shot his first 4-6 deer, he was dropping his bow arm, which changes your anchor point and causes you to shoot high. You're doing something right if you've never had an issue!

• Like 2

i agree with larry and moog it takes more than just poor form to miss a deer within 10-15 yards.  also i know guys that can shoot a perfect 450 vegas face round indoors from a flat floor at a target 20 yards away.  however, i take them with a outside on uneven and unmarked distanced 3D course and they struggle.  like wise, it's intimidating and a poke to shoot at a small coyote target 60+ yrds downhill at a steep grade and maybe a little off chamber.  same target hit with a rangefinder on flat ground is an easy shot by comparison.  i think the nails been sent home already.  practice in real world situations, at angles, and on terrain that you would encounter while hunting.  shooting right with proper form sure does help you succeed.  if you practice accordingly i'd think if you can't stay on target it'd be readily apparent.  also the old saying of most arrows within a pie plate at distance you hunt at is ill-advised and dumb IMO.  you should be confident that every arrow should be on the money otherwise shorten your effective range.

• Like 2

Well, my wife has been wanting another bow after not having one for a couple of years now. Thanks to a sweet deal from a friend of mine, she ended up getting her bow on saturday: 2017 Bowtech Eva Shockey SS...26" draw, 52#. After only shooting for a day she sent me her first group of the day at 20yds. 

I may have made a huge mistake...I'd better kill a buck early or I'll be looking for a babysitter so I can hunt!!! Lol.

20170807_082143.jpg

received_10154863856009632.jpeg

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Well, my wife has been wanting another bow after not having one for a couple of years now. Thanks to a sweet deal from a friend of mine, she ended up getting her bow on saturday: 2017 Bowtech Eva Shockey SS...26" draw, 52#. After only shooting for a day she sent me her first group of the day at 20yds. 

I may have made a huge mistake...I'd better kill a buck early or I'll be looking for a babysitter so I can hunt!!! Lol.

20170807_082143.jpg

received_10154863856009632.jpeg

her words: "what buck?"

In the name of science and huntingny.com I canceled going out on Canandaigua Lake to conduct this  experiment , well truth be told the old lady had her DR. Appt days mixed up .

Look I get it anyone can post any sort of stage pics. So maybe one day Moog can stop by and video this.

Measured height 14 feet at foot level ( see orange tape on ground ) distance 18 yards . These were my first shots since killing my buck early Nov. my shoulder was hurting a lot ( benched an hour before )

First three arrows bend at waist all a couple inches high, second three drop bow hand and it felt weird to be honest two arrows were better then bend at waist . You'll notice as well the orange  fletch in the drop bow arm is off a bit I messed up the shot almost sending it who knows where .

Also two,different arrows and fletching two are three inch three fletch one is four four inch as well as differant brands of arrows .

ill be happy to have anyone video me repeating this, till then fire away I got my big boy pants on today !

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Whatever you're doing seems to be working for you Larry. I'm only pointing out the proper way to do it. There's no arguing that dropping just your bow arm is incorrect and will lead to shots high (downhill) or shots low (uphill). Try this, draw your bow normally and aquire your sight picture, now drop your bow arm down to account for the angle with out moving the rest of your form... Your peep will now be higher than your sight housing, you just changed your anchor point. My guess is exactly what Moog has said, you're bending at the waist.

• Like 1

Although I suspect that that woman had bigger issues than merely not bending at the waist.  lol 

???

BTW you don't need to be using sights and a peep to know bending at the waist needs to happen when shooting close ...I have taken 2 deer at 3yrds...one from 14ft up and one at 18ft up...both shooting instinctive... My practices start out on flat ground to just build muscle...but quickly go to the stand shooting...and it's only 3 arrows...shot from 3-30 yrds and I don't move the target until I'm dead on...try going up and down a ladder on a ladder stand  after 3 shots until your perfect....teaches you to concentrate very quickly...BUT it also brings your heart rate and breathing up to the excitement level you feel when a big deer or even a nice doe appear..That is something guys don't think about...and it's the best way to replicate it..That control of breathing and your heart pounding make a big difference on a good kill or going home feeling like a cold turd:wink:

Edited by growalot

1 hour ago, growalot said:

???

BTW you don't need to be using sights and a peep to know bending at the waist needs to happen when shooting close ...I have taken 2 deer at 3yrds...one from 14ft up and one at 18ft up...both shooting instinctive... My practices start out on flat ground to just build muscle...but quickly go to the stand shooting...and it's only 3 arrows...shot from 3-30 yrds and I don't move the target until I'm dead on...try going up and down a ladder on a ladder stand  after 3 shots until your perfect....teaches you to concentrate very quickly...BUT it also brings your heart rate and breathing up to the excitement level you feel when a big deer or even a nice doe appear..That is something guys don't think about...and it's the best way to replicate it..That control of breathing and your heart pounding make a big difference on a good kill or going home feeling like a cold turd:wink:

You could always limit your trips up and down if you would use a sight . Mostly just giving you a hard time ,your method obviously is working just fine.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

This just proves that you are so accurate that even when you try the screw up you can't.   Lol.  Sounds like you naturally bend at the waist Larry.  

I assure you the second set of shots I stood straight and dropped the bow arm the  body does tend to bend with it but I fought that ,it was a very unnerving feeling too. 

To be clear I've been drawing straight and bending at the waist for many years now , just never heard about it in my beginning years.

Although id like to video this so I can be see it myself. 

Bottom line , bend at the  waist , it feels way more solid and stable .

Did not clean gutters I pay a guy $60 to do that , because it needs that during bow season , and if I am going to be in the air it's going to,be in a tree .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Decided to try my own experiment tonight. Shoot a 31" arrow and see what difference there was from my 28" arrows. First pic, height was spot on, an inch left.

Second pic. I wasn't dead set on adjusting my sight. So I shot 4 arrows. Top bulls eye, first a little high and left, second a little left. Took a minute, got ready for 3rd shot. Made sure peep window was aligned with site window, a bit high. Last was bottom bullseye and right there again just a pinch low.
Remember folks, never start making adjustments to your bow until you double check your form.

18dc625e35613704d7e870c449901ed8.jpg9129a2c3290afa0f217d4e07ec93b67f.jpg

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1