First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

This morning (man, it's muggy up here on the mountain):

93eeab574e79afdfcfadd8332e9b069f.jpg

The arrow to the right, 30 yards, 18' elevation, BH, grip and rip.

The arrow to the left, which makes me nervous, 30 yards, 18' elevation, BH, 45 second hold on target. More practice needed here... This was the second shot of the two.

These are from 25 yards, 15' elevation, BH, on grip and rip, the other 45 second hold on target:

2c7fd876a712f5c038c00174b9ad204b.jpg

I'm pleased with these.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Only two arrows today, both 30 yards. Also served as confirmation my range-finder is still good.

I shoot 99.9% of arrows at targets of known range, so when I got out there today at a free target I was sure it had to be at least 40 and my range-finder's 30 yard finding was wrong, so I'd need a new rangefinder before Sunday. The 30 yard pin confirmed my rangefinder works and affirmed exactly why I bought it!

My Torid SS broad heads hit the same as field points on this setup so I won't even bother shooting any this year.

firstshot30.thumb.jpg.82cbf2179e489a4baa23fc95a6221e8b.jpg

Edited by Core

Haven't responded because for me not important until I hit the hot zone ,as it were, before opener...I am shooting just one arrow now and the broad head I will use I switch between the G4's and the thunderheads...todAY WAS THUNDERHEAD 100GRAIN...FIRST SHOT WAS 25 YARDS AWAY AND IT WAS SET THE TARGET DOWN PACE THE 25YRDS TURN AND SHOOT i WAS DRAWING WHEN TURNING...ONLY ONE SHOT NEEDED ...i THEN WENT TO A DIFFERENT THAN NORMAL TREE STAND...i DID NOT PACE OUT THE SHOT UNTIL AFTER...i CLIMBED AND DECIDED THAT DUE TO MY DONNING...aHH CAP LOCS!,SORRY...a bulky rain jacket...rain and breezy I would work a scenario shot...I closed my eyes and thought....

There are steps...not sure which direction...no time to stand . I think moving to my left it's stopped...I opened my eyes acquired the target as I drew and shot...got down and it  paced out 21 yrds from the bottom of the stand It was a strange position because of a tree and I normally stand to shoot but practice sitting...one shot...so today was a two shot day and I am pleased with both. knees ache a bit(ladders) and slight twinge in shoulder ...but not bad

20170929_142416_resized.jpg

20170929_145850_resized.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'll be live from the woods in a few hours I took a couple shots, phone was inside so no pics. But 1 BH dead center at 20 yards then 2 FP dead center at 20. 

The best news is shoulder did not hurt at all and it was the easiest draw this year ! 

• Like 4

Little late in season but my recurve accuracy went south 2 weeks ago.  Decided to scrap anchor I have worked on all last year and go back to my anchor point from past two seasons which held up well under pressure.  Getting back to better shooting again.  Shots 1-3 starting at 7, 15 and then 22 at lunch.   She may be back out again this weekend if it holds up the rest of this week.  That's the love hate relationship with traditional shooting.  Like mastering the golf swing, not easy, perhaps impossible.  Lol.  And not every effort to improve pans out.  But I ain't giving up.   

IMG_1199.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Thought I’d bring this out of the archives. Went to the shop today with daughter she has a tourney coming up in couple weeks. Shocking when your 11 year old can group right with her dad. I’m green hers purple 

8A53D82B-7982-4166-9BA4-31A3DEB9F2E8.jpeg

That's some fine shooting from dad and daughter! Post up some pics from her tourney and how she does sodfather.

Nothing wrong with keeping this going. Many people shoot all year. Had the bow out a few times since the bow season ended, not as much as most on here, just never took pics. Officially blew through my foam target, again, have to look into a new one. Right now, focus is on turkey season.

29 minutes ago, Rob... said:

That's some fine shooting from dad and daughter! Post up some pics from her tourney and how she does sodfather.

Nothing wrong with keeping this going. Many people shoot all year. Had the bow out a few times since the bow season ended, not as much as most on here, just never took pics. Officially blew through my foam target, again, have to look into a new one. Right now, focus is on turkey season.

Will do it’s indoor obviously so should be fun. Love seeing kids get into this sport 

27 minutes ago, Rob... said:

that foam target will never last and won't stop much once it's getting shot. i think you should at least look into a bag target.  that said spend $120 to get a Rhino block from Rhinehart and you'll never buy another target again. it'll last you forever and stop anything.

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that foam target will never last and won't stop much once it's getting shot. i think you should at least look into a bag target.  that said spend $120 to get a Rhino block from Rhinehart and you'll never buy another target again. it'll last you forever and stop anything.

My goal is a lasting target. 75% of my shooting is done inside my home, at a max of 18yds, but have found ways and places to shoot out to 30. The Rhino isn't in the cards this year, I don't want to derail the thread, just have other priorities right now.

I can still shoot one side of both foam targets, Next time I get brave enough to shoot in the house I will take a pic. 

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

My goal is a lasting target. 75% of my shooting is done inside my home, at a max of 18yds, but have found ways and places to shoot out to 30. The Rhino isn't in the cards this year, I don't want to derail the thread, just have other priorities right now.

I can still shoot one side of both foam targets, Next time I get brave enough to shoot in the house I will take a pic. 

Make your own with old clothes. Ive made several and they are awesome. Google it there are several threads on Archery Talk

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Make your own with old clothes. Ive made several and they are awesome. Google it there are several threads on Archery Talk

Years ago we'd take an old mattress, tear it open then grab all the "fill" out of it and stuff it in a burlap bag.  It worked GREAT! 

These days if a burlap bag isn't available, a feed bag from Agway might work??

All that said, man you'd (rob.....) be damn careful shooting in the house (trailer) as a miss could be costly in a couple ways. :(

• Like 2

Corrugated card board stacked into a 4' x 4' with two rows of 12" cardboard that cold be reversed to refresh the target thick and drawn down tight using 1/2" threaded rod will last almost forever. NOT FOR BROADHEAD USE. I made two of these, one for my outdoor range and built into a little shed. The other mounted on saw horses in the basement. They have both been rebuilt by reversing the entry (front) layer with the rear layer. This was done in about the 5th year. Then I went about another four years and had to rebuild again by with new cardboard. And I was heavy into NFAA indoor and outdoor competitive shooting and was practicing regularly nearly every night. So these butts were taking a constant beating. Shooting into the ends of the corrugations made them self sealing. Yes, there was a lot of time and labor gathering and cutting the cardboard, but it didn't have to be done over and over. And with the cardboard retrieved from the dumpsters behind the local grocery store, the materials were free.

I got the idea from a commercial indoor archery range in Rochester where they used the compressed cardboard that used some big old heavy bales of excelsior to compress the cardboard under the weight of the bales.

• 2 months later...