First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

3 hours ago, Core said:

Personally I think far too much is made about releasing the trigger. My view is that you should be on target and when it's time to fire use a minimal amount of muscle to move the trigger, so as not to go off target. For me that means simply moving my index finger. I tried all the talk about pulling back with your whole body and all that and it never made sense for me and didn't work anyway. I've only been hunting a few years, but my shooting is very consistent. For all intents and purposes I do not have fliers anymore......

its possible to over exaggerate the back tension. pull too hard into the back wall and you'll be inconsistent with to some degree left and right flyers. what i've found best is solid back tension to just keep the string or limbs nicely against the draw stops and enough to tighten up the floating pin on target. then use plenty of finger load on the trigger such that a very slight increase in back tension will make the release go off. many common releases don't have a crisp break and you'll actually feel the long travel in the trigger. it's pretty hard to ride it out with forcing it more than you should. still have to ride it out though and keep the trigger in motion until it breaks and shot happens. if that makes sense.

When I shot with a friend in his barn , one drill we’d do,is hold for one minute, then shoot . I don’t recall the hits being too bad. My bow was probably around mid to upper 50s then 65 % let off real narrow,valley . 

When I say barn , hardwood floors upstairs , well lit finished off with 50 some sheets of plywood painted white . His daughters AAU B.B. team used to,practice there.

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Looks as if my “ first ever “ shots coming up tonight. I’ve got 2 months to get the hang of this.  Who volunteers to set the apple on top of their head ?! 

You could be like biz and get a matthews. You would be ready in 2hours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry double,post .so I’ll add this here .

DB , my bow has a very narrow valley , for me ,I found I have to keep a lot of back tension , if I let off ,my arm tends to go forward a bit just as I hit the trigger and I get really wild flyers .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I can only remember one time where I had to hold for an extended period and if I didn't draw early after calling the buck in, I probably could have waited and drawn later without such a long hold (he was staring in my direction for the buck that snort wheezed him).  Most times, less than 5 seconds from draw to shot.  You can work on holding but I wouldn't fret too much about it.

This^ I like to prepare for the worst, I’ve honestly never had to hold my bow baxk More that 30 seconds in the woods.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Looks as if my “ first ever “ shots coming up tonight. I’ve got 2 months to get the hang of this.  Who volunteers to set the apple on top of their head ?! 

I'd like to volunteer our illustrious Governor....That bow doesn't hold more than ten arrows, does it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sodfather said:

Had a great time tonight Lawdwaz, Taco Tim, TC and TF and myself flinging some arrows having a couple beers and some wings after. Great time guys can’t wait to do it again. Even managed to lift a couple from long distance.

20646CFA-A193-4327-A37E-2374CF1B525C.jpeg

5DDE509F-CFF3-4B98-836B-BCB9AC3F4D48.jpeg

26775BC6-9950-4448-8525-D3C201759967.jpeg

Looks like a fun time right there.  Howd you shoot TF?   Had to send at least one in the woods!   Glad you had some professionals with ya to straighten that learning curve.   

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Looks like a fun time right there.  Howd you shoot TF?   Had to send at least one in the woods!   Glad you had some professionals with ya to straighten that learning curve.   

We had some technical difficulties with TF’s bow 

• Like 1

You’ll be fine. I started last August and within a few shots I was proficient at 15, 20, 25yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Sorry double,post .so I’ll add this here .

DB , my bow has a very narrow valley , for me ,I found I have to keep a lot of back tension , if I let off ,my arm tends to go forward a bit just as I hit the trigger and I get really wild flyers .

some bows especially older ones don't have the most solid back wall and draw stops. the more spongy the bow is the more important form and repeatable anchor is. every setup is different but you want to keep as much back tension or pull against the string as you need but really not much more or fatigue will set in fast and/or you won't keep the pin from moving as much.

8 minutes ago, Brushmaster3 said:

I was all over after that ha

Just do what you did on the first 3.  lol.  You shooting instinctive?  Gap is much easier to remain consistent in my experience.  I tend to run hot and cold if I shoot instinctive, especially past about 15 yds.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

some bows especially older ones don't have the most solid back wall and draw stops. the more spongy the bow is the more important form and repeatable anchor is. every setup is different but you want to keep as much back tension or pull against the string as you need but really not much more or fatigue will set in fast and/or you won't keep the pin from moving as much.

I should add that only happens a time or two a year in practice. I don’t know much of the technical stuff or terms, I mean I first heard the term back tension a few years ago . I’ve been killing them with a bow for 30 years though .

Nice pics of the Buffalo guys .

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just do what you did on the first 3.  lol.  You shooting instinctive?  Gap is much easier to remain consistent in my experience.  I tend to run hot and cold if I shoot instinctive, especially past about 15 yds.

Instinctive. I started with the gap method when I switched to trad. Ill give Gap another try later today

7 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I was the only 1 to lose an arrow! That 86 yd shot at the beer can screwed me up! Seriously I think we may have a monday or tuesday evening get together started. "Brews, Bows n Bros" 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Yup, I'm ok  Need to better my technique a bunch   Didn't shoot so well    The company was great and those boys can shoot !!  Couple beers and Marvins for wings which were great

Keep at it!  You will be fine for this season. Those guy's will get you going in the right direction. 

Practice, is what will help a bunch too.

First time is always kinda awkward...............

• Like 3

I was the only 1 to lose an arrow! That 86 yd shot at the beer can screwed me up! Seriously I think we may have a monday or tuesday evening get together started. "Brews, Bows n Bros" 

And Boobies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2