First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

Yesterday (Sunday) I shot three sets of five at 30 yds. This is the first shot of the day.  I also increased the draw weight but not having a scale, I do not know what poundage I am set at.  I will be shooting again at lunchtime today if the rain holds off.  Second shot.. not so good.  As Jeremy said, I have to keep shooting and my groups will tighten up.  I still notice my left arm is a little shaky but nothing like last year.

I won't make it this week to the academy.. the GF and I are going to spend the whole day at the fair :)   She wants to shoot the bow with me this evening 

august11-first shot.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Yesterday (Sunday) I shot three sets of five at 30 yds. This is the first shot of the day.  I also increased the draw weight but not having a scale, I do not know what poundage I am set at.  I will be shooting again at lunchtime today if the rain holds off.  Second shot.. not so good.  As Jeremy said, I have to keep shooting and my groups will tighten up.  I still notice my left arm is a little shaky but nothing like last year.

I won't make it this week to the academy.. the GF and I are going to spend the whole day at the fair :)   She wants to shoot the bow with me this evening 

august11-first shot.jpg

Still aiming for those antlers I see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today's practice session:  I increased the draw weight and took 3 shots at 20 yds... all three were high so I adjusted my 20-yard pin and discovered that it was broken... the fiber snapped right at the tip.  I removed the pin and put the 10-yard pin there instead.  The first shot was a bull.  The rest of the group was about the same as I have been doing.  I noticed that I am chopping the trigger on the release.  Open for suggestions on how to correct that.  The last pic is a group at 30 yards... one arrow missed the block and I know I chopped that one good.  If I could figure out how to stop doing that... It is in the back of my mind and I am paying more attention to the release hence, the 30-yard group is decent...

aug12-5.jpg

aug12-1.jpg

aug12-2.jpg

aug12-4.jpg

• Like 1

Haven’t shot since June 11 th, figured I’d do grueling round . Shot a single arrow, as my” first shot “ , then these three all at around 22 yards . Four arrows, done .

Peep sight is turned at about a 45 , but it works . Again love this bow I got from Jeremy , thanks !

00FEFB05-552C-4C28-A4DD-2062973B1943.png

933E124C-C360-443F-A58B-ED837DAC99F7.png

• Like 10

Thanks . They’re “ ok “ , not working and avoiding some things at the gym , so,they don’t hurt, but strength is not there . I can draw this bow, and holding it at full draw is a piece of cake, my old bow the beginning of the draw was a mother , this one is much easier ,but not what I would call easy .

My plan is not to shoot much , as much as I may like to though . That way I figure less strain on the shoulders . I figure why inflame them just before the season ? I don’t shoot deer much past 15 yards most years, I shoot just as good rather I’m out there 3xs a week or every few months .

Hope yours are doing well too .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Today's practice session:  I increased the draw weight and took 3 shots at 20 yds... all three were high so I adjusted my 20-yard pin and discovered that it was broken... the fiber snapped right at the tip.  I removed the pin and put the 10-yard pin there instead.  The first shot was a bull.  The rest of the group was about the same as I have been doing.  I noticed that I am chopping the trigger on the release.  Open for suggestions on how to correct that.  The last pic is a group at 30 yards... one arrow missed the block and I know I chopped that one good.  If I could figure out how to stop doing that... It is in the back of my mind and I am paying more attention to the release hence, the 30-yard group is decent...
aug12-5.thumb.jpg.17fdd57661591b7f56a29d6471925548.jpg
aug12-1.thumb.jpg.af6b54457a781b24d03520c07055b26d.jpg
aug12-2.thumb.jpg.ec8f2c579d7326db4db69895d86647ad.jpg
aug12-4.thumb.jpg.91390d692fb3842223dc95899ce5737a.jpg

Not sure if this is the best advice but 2 things that have always helped me not just grabbing the trigger of anything is 1. You want to slowly squeeze the trigger. Don’t think about pulling it think about slowly squeezing it. 2. This one is more gun than bow probably but count to 5 and some where in-between 1-5 you should have squeezed the trigger. The arrow being released should almost be a surprise to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I haven't even picked up my bow yet this year. Life got in the way. I have to soon. Maybe tonight I will feel like shooting a few in the hall. Or, if the rain holds off maybe I can get out in the yard for a few.

It begins each year with the "First Shot"!!!  Give it a go.

• Like 3

Lunchtime practice... shot 3 groups of 4 arrows... all three groups looked just like this.  One out of each group was just a pulled shot.  I am taking Moho's advice and trying to gently squeeze the trigger and the good shots are grouped nicely.  Just have to keep practicing.  The bow is hitting to the right now also... I'll bet I dinged the sight on it... I need a hard case

august14-01.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Lunchtime practice... shot 3 groups of 4 arrows... all three groups looked just like this.  One out of each group was just a pulled shot.  I am taking Moho's advice and trying to gently squeeze the trigger and the good shots are grouped nicely.  Just have to keep practicing.  The bow is hitting to the right now also... I'll bet I dinged the sight on it... I need a hard case

august14-01.jpg

I just bought a Plano plastic case at Cabelas for $20

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, Arcade Hunter said:

assuming you use an index finger operated trigger release, check your release length at anchor. most common thing i see is the barrel is too long or trigger too far away. if you have to reach at all with your finger it'll force you to "pluck" at it.  set the length so your finger is relaxed and naturally curved with the end pad sitting right at the trigger.  wrist buckle straps are perfect otherwise make sure you tighten velcro the same amount each time you put the release on for a consistent anchor and trigger position.  shooting wise you should be able to touch the trigger without firing or squirming around like a worm on a hook. if you can't practice this until you can without releasing an arrow. just aim without shooting then let down as soon as you're tired. if you can touch it but lack a good pull the trigger position will help some but focus on putting tension on it, keep tension while aiming, and then tighten your shoulder blades together to command the release.  just don't rely too much on back tension or you'll fatigue fast and won't be able to hold draw as long. also your form will suffer. draw arm goes past being in line with your arrow shaft and you being in balance with pushing and pulling will be inconsistent. you'll see groups open up left to right or single arrows off one side or the other.
for other variations of target panic it also helps to aim and practice at bow tuning setup. take tape and make a horizontal or separated vertical line on your target but don't cross the two. it's easier mentally to aim and hit a vertical or horizontal line than a single point of aim.

after that start with bigger aim points like a paper plate that your pin won't totally cover up. finally as you progress increase yardage. shooting at longer distance help you kill any bad habits but it'll make them readily apparent and show you how they effect your arrows impact or consistency (groups).

• Like 4