First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

13 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

assuming you use an index finger operated trigger release, check your release length at anchor. most common thing i see is the barrel is too long or trigger too far away. if you have to reach at all with your finger it'll force you to "pluck" at it.  set the length so your finger is relaxed and naturally curved with the end pad sitting right at the trigger.  wrist buckle straps are perfect otherwise make sure you tighten velcro the same amount each time you put the release on for a consistent anchor and trigger position.  shooting wise you should be able to touch the trigger without firing or squirming around like a worm on a hook. if you can't practice this until you can without releasing an arrow. just aim without shooting then let down as soon as you're tired. if you can touch it but lack a good pull the trigger position will help some but focus on putting tension on it, keep tension while aiming, and then tighten your shoulder blades together to command the release.  just don't rely too much on back tension or you'll fatigue fast and won't be able to hold draw as long. also your form will suffer. draw arm goes past being in line with your arrow shaft and you being in balance with pushing and pulling will be inconsistent. you'll see groups open up left to right or single arrows off one side or the other.
for other variations of target panic it also helps to aim and practice at bow tuning setup. take tape and make a horizontal or separated vertical line on your target but don't cross the two. it's easier mentally to aim and hit a vertical or horizontal line than a single point of aim.

after that start with bigger aim points like a paper plate that your pin won't totally cover up. finally as you progress increase yardage. shooting at longer distance help you kill any bad habits but it'll make them readily apparent and show you how they effect your arrows impact or consistency (groups).

Thank you for the tips! Greatly appreciated.  I will try these things during my lunch time practice session today.

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Hot Damn BA...you using that target for machine gun practice too?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha not exactly. There's a church over near my office in Henrietta. They have a public 3d archery course. it's pretty sweet and a whole lot nicer than i would've expected from a church. They have something like 12 elevated platforms and probably 25 targets set back in the woods.

• Like 3

Got some shots in.  Sitting on the hangon. Had better groups sitting then standing out of it. Deer is 30, pulled the first shot to the right, turkey 20 ,pig 15.  Adjusted sight since i kept hitting to the right.  But all those shots are using 30yrd pin.  Without much change in point of aim.  And thats what i was hoping for.  

20190816_134459.jpg

20190816_134444.jpg

20190816_134428.jpg

• Like 6

My best practice round this year.  I made an adjustment to my stance.. I am getting a little string hit on my arm now and I think it's making my shots hit right.  I wonder if I need to take a 1/2 inch off the draw length so that my elbow is bent a tad bit more.  Welcoming any comments about that.  Best groups so far and I started to shoot groups of three rather than four of five to force myself to stop and rest while retrieving arrows.

aug19-1.jpg

aug19-2.jpg

aug19-3.jpg

• Like 2

My best practice round this year.  I made an adjustment to my stance.. I am getting a little string hit on my arm now and I think it's making my shots hit right.  I wonder if I need to take a 1/2 inch off the draw length so that my elbow is bent a tad bit more.  Welcoming any comments about that.  Best groups so far and I started to shoot groups of three rather than four of five to force myself to stop and rest while retrieving arrows.

aug19-1.thumb.jpg.500bc904dd353f4fbe5cf986541eab33.jpg
aug19-2.thumb.jpg.dd598693755511eaaf15da7ee492f575.jpg
aug19-3.thumb.jpg.ca1e4f45f2d30fb385e0dcd44fe62bd4.jpg

Is your stance square/slightly open? I’ll occasionally close mine and start hitting my arm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Is your stance square/slightly open? I’ll occasionally close mine and start hitting my arm

My new stance is more perpendicular.  I also moved the peep up a little bit.  I can find it quite easily now while drawing.  Everything seems more comfortable too.

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

aug19-1.jpg

aug19-2.jpg

aug19-3.jpg

Try turning your grip out (tuck pinky and ring fingers on outside of grip with knuckles at 45 degrees).  Forces elbow out and no more string slap.  I had the issue with trad bows for a while.  It gets painful.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I think I will have someone video me tomorrow evening and put it up here.  A picture is worth a thousand words!  Also, Thanks for the advice, guys.

I had string slap sometimes my first few times ever using a compound. I forget who on this forum, but someone told me to grab the fridge handle with my bow hand and turn slightly into body. you'll notice your elbow moves slightly outward. That's how i try to hold bow and don't get slapped.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I had string slap sometimes my first few times ever using a compound. I forget who on this forum, but someone told me to grab the fridge handle with my bow hand and turn slightly into body. you'll notice your elbow moves slightly outward. That's how i try to hold bow and don't get slapped.

Out of likes.. Thanks, Biz.  Ill try it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Fridge handle like I'm grabbing a cold IPA out of it ? I got that move down pat :drinks:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In to body? or away? Like elbow away from body right? 

In to body? or away? Like elbow away from body right? 

Yea so for a righty shooter, the left hand grabs the bow. I grab it naturally and then slightly readjust my hand to say 45 degrees and regrip . This moves my elbow away from the string. Fractions of an inch maybe? But doesn’t hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk