First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

On 8/15/2019 at 5:46 PM, dbHunterNY said:

assuming you use an index finger operated trigger release, check your release length at anchor. most common thing i see is the barrel is too long or trigger too far away. if you have to reach at all with your finger it'll force you to "pluck" at it.  set the length so your finger is relaxed and naturally curved with the end pad sitting right at the trigger.  wrist buckle straps are perfect otherwise make sure you tighten velcro the same amount each time you put the release on for a consistent anchor and trigger position.  shooting wise you should be able to touch the trigger without firing or squirming around like a worm on a hook. if you can't practice this until you can without releasing an arrow. just aim without shooting then let down as soon as you're tired. if you can touch it but lack a good pull the trigger position will help some but focus on putting tension on it, keep tension while aiming, and then tighten your shoulder blades together to command the release.  just don't rely too much on back tension or you'll fatigue fast and won't be able to hold draw as long. also your form will suffer. draw arm goes past being in line with your arrow shaft and you being in balance with pushing and pulling will be inconsistent. you'll see groups open up left to right or single arrows off one side or the other.
for other variations of target panic it also helps to aim and practice at bow tuning setup. take tape and make a horizontal or separated vertical line on your target but don't cross the two. it's easier mentally to aim and hit a vertical or horizontal line than a single point of aim.

after that start with bigger aim points like a paper plate that your pin won't totally cover up. finally as you progress increase yardage. shooting at longer distance help you kill any bad habits but it'll make them readily apparent and show you how they effect your arrows impact or consistency (groups).

The past few time shooting i havent had consistancy at all.had read this post before and thought to myself.ok what am i doing wrong.noticed i was reaching for the release with index.tighten strap and 5 more arrows.alot better than it has been and i dont feel my arm pull like i was before as i was reaching.cant believe the difference it can make.big thumbs up.

20190829_171949.jpg

• Like 2

The past few time shooting i havent had consistancy at all.had read this post before and thought to myself.ok what am i doing wrong.noticed i was reaching for the release with index.tighten strap and 5 more arrows.alot better than it has been and i dont feel my arm pull like i was before as i was reaching.cant believe the difference it can make.big thumbs up.
20190829_171949.thumb.jpg.4e51bb8093fead05be964b7b202fbaef.jpg
Good to hear it. Correct things one at a time and focus on executing a good shot versus worrying about super tight groups and driving tacks. The groups will naturally happen as you correct things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

IMG_20190901_163905.thumb.jpg.f15004ea94809dd2603aca3be0bb351a.jpgIMG_20190901_163952.thumb.jpg.2db899f3f849be0d0ea560c795b7ce8d.jpgAfter a couple small adjustments, I now have this years hunting set up shooting well, out to 40 yards. 

Went with the 100gr four blade Muzzy MX4 fixed head, and the Glory Nock lighted nock. And of course my new to me Obsession Phoenix, set at 52lbs. 

This is what I'll be practicing with now until the start of the season. Everything on this set up is new to me. And light years ahead of my 20 year old set up from last year.

I'm very excited to head out to the deer woods on October 1st !

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It's starting to feel second nature. I have been going into the back yard each night and just shooting 3 arrows. I will try pushing it back now but these have all been 15 yards. 

09-02-19.JPG

Those are all kill shots!  Great!

Question for you as I am just trying to figure out my recurve as well.....What is your point of aim?  I am aiming about 16" below my target and landing close to it fairly consistently.   This is pretty much the same whether I am 10, 15 or 20 yards from the target, maybe a slight change the further I go back.  Just wondering what your methodology is on that.  Thanks! 

Those are all kill shots!  Great!
Question for you as I am just trying to figure out my recurve as well.....What is your point of aim?  I am aiming about 16" below my target and landing close to it fairly consistently.   This is pretty much the same whether I am 10, 15 or 20 yards from the target, maybe a slight change the further I go back.  Just wondering what your methodology is on that.  Thanks! 

I take it you are gap shooting using the arrow tip? I am actually running a single site pin. Mine is built off a compound riser so I just put the old site bracket back on it.

After getting dialed in pretty good Sunday with broadhead, I was all over the place last night!!  So aggravating to say the least!!!  I did tighten things up a little better after quite a few shots. out to 30 yards. But sight is maxed out all the way up, and 40 yards is hitting real high......argg!! Perhaps a new sight will be better for this bow. May put an HHA on it??  Still not confident in this bow since I put on the broadheads. Was a dream with field points. I may be going back to my old bow to hunt this year. Never had to change a thing with that old Mathews from FP's to BH's. 

Getting close now, might just break out old reliable to get my confidence back.